Hello good people. I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I've had for a year and I just got some new tubes for it (Tung-sol 12ax7s and JJel84s). Since this is my first time changing tubes I have a couple of questions.
First of all, I've read on the Eurotubes website that when installing new tubes you should spray some contact cleaner on the prongs of the new tubes and work them in and out of the sockets a few times to ensure a good connection. That's suposed to help with noise and stuff like that, I guess. Is this true? I'm a little afaid it might mess up the sockets.
Secondly, I've read that you shouldn't touch the tubes with your bare hand as this will cause them to heat up unevenly and wear out quicker. Is this true too? Do I have to wear gloves or use a towel when handling them? Any tips will help, thanks.
When replacing tubes I've never used contact cleaner, but apparently the "touching tubes" thing is a myth, could anyone clear this up? But, just in case use some kitchen roll or something to put the tube in
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Yes, it's a myth, stop asking.
Contact cleaner is a good idea as long as you're using electrical contact cleaner and not the stuff you use for ocular lenses
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, it's a myth, stop asking.
Contact cleaner is a good idea as long as you're using electrical contact cleaner and not the stuff you use for ocular lenses

ya its a myth. a stupid one. and i ordered my classic 30 tubes from eurotubes. i didnt use contact cleaner. mine have been working great since last september or so. they will be fine.
The only problem is that if you get a bad tube from ET and you didn't use contact cleaner on the pins before you installed them, they are likely not to replace the tube for free.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Yes, it's a myth. The oil on your hands causing the glass to shatter only applies to halogen lightbulbs, which get many times hotter than tubes do.

The people that came up with this must think that electricity flowing through them, a glow being produced, and both being made of glass means that they're exactly the same thing.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
The only problem is that if you get a bad tube from ET and you didn't use contact cleaner on the pins before you installed them, they are likely not to replace the tube for free.

That's crazy talk.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's crazy talk.

Negative. It says it right on the little sheet that comes with the matched power tubes.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.