I was wondering what effects would be best for playing hard punk, or even metalcore, by not paying out my wallet, and also buying the most versatile pedals.

And I think that this goes here. If it doesn't, sorry for the inconvenience.
this thread does go here in this section, yes, but your question is extremely vague. you don't really need ANY FX to play these styles as far as i know, but just generalizing, these effects i've heard from what little of this style i listen to:

delay: either on clean tone for short passages or on lead tone to thicken up your solo just a bit
chorus: once again, on clean tone usually to make it shimmer, usually just on some passages
harmonizer: kinda obvious, certain fills/breakdowns make use of a harmonized phrase before/after a riff
wah: just a standard for ANY style of music just about, how you use it is completely up to you
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Distortion, nothing else will be required. You can add an EQ to help with further shaping your tone.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by d3adh3adch3mist
blood, sweat and human faeces.

i hope you know this pretty much counts as blatant spam, easily reportable. ESPECIALLY since the FIRST post the TS will see is garbage like that, it's a lame move, anyone can deal with a joke but that's a terrible way to start off someone's thread asking for help.

i'm not gonna report, but just thought you should remember that for future references, where anyone else, including myself, will most likely report.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Alright, thanks. I was talking about the tone, though. I knew I needed distortion, but I wanted to know if I need to get like, an ML-2 or anything as far as a bottom-heavy sound.

For the distortion, should I just go with a DS-1 (Boss), maybe? Any other recommended brands? I know Boss is a good quality, though.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i hope you know this pretty much counts as blatant spam, easily reportable. ESPECIALLY since the FIRST post the TS will see is garbage like that, it's a lame move, anyone can deal with a joke but that's a terrible way to start off someone's thread asking for help.

i'm not gonna report, but just thought you should remember that for future references, where anyone else, including myself, will most likely report.

hahaha your post is spam too, noob

but instead of letting mine be spam too, im going to adress the ts's question.

distortion, overdrives are really common in the genres you are asking about. you can look at boss's pedals if your on a budget, but try out other brands too, just to see how bosses pedals compare to others. ibanez makes good over drives. another popular. in the long run you can use whatever you like, dunlops makes wah's, try out echos and delays, as far as i know, reverbs arent super common in punk, but i could be wrong.

this might be too general, but try to find a pedal with a lot of crunch... not too bottom heavy.. ill edit this post if i can ever explain better, i have the idea in my head its just hard to explain
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Jan 8, 2010,
ok, when you say 'effects', you generally don't refer to distortion as an effect (not saying it isn't in some way, but there's a LOT less confusion when you only refer to distortion as gain/overdrive/etc.)

what amp are you using? like i stated in another thread, if you're buying a pedal to do heavy metalcore tones, you're most likely gonna get garbage. the only way you'll be satisfied is by getting an amp suited for the heavier styles.

long story short: you cheap out on your amp/pedals, usually it'll show in the tone.

oh, and
Quote by AthenasGhost
hahaha your post is spam too, noob

i'm not spamming, i'm actually contributing help to this thread. i hope you were at least half joking or something, otherwise the title above your avatar would be more than just a coincidence.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by DeductedPie
Alright, thanks. I was talking about the tone, though. I knew I needed distortion, but I wanted to know if I need to get like, an ML-2 or anything as far as a bottom-heavy sound.

For the distortion, should I just go with a DS-1 (Boss), maybe? Any other recommended brands? I know Boss is a good quality, though.

I wouldn't get a ML-2, ever. A DS-1 won't really have enough gain for heavier punk like metalcore or crust punk. If you can find a Boss HM-2 or HM-3. those might be worth getting, most Boss distortions are crap though.

Name some bands your interested in playing/tones you like. Other then that, I like my Crate GX for crust punk and grindcore and that sorta stuff.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jan 8, 2010,