basically i know the major, minor and pentatonic/blues scales and ive just started writting songs for my band but they all start to sound kind off the same after playing thema few times so im wondering what other scales should i learn to help develop my song writing more. im writing what i guess would be considered melodic metalcore/melodeth metal. also what chords or shapes go well with these scales and genre (not just power chords). thanks in advance for you help.
Learn how to actually use the scales you've "learned".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's been 50 trillion songs based on the scales you mentioned and you're already starting to sound stale?
yeah i do realize that so how would i go about learning to phrase better does it just come with time and practise
An exercise I find helpful is to take just a few notes of the scale (three or four, let's say) and play ONLY THOSE notes for 20-30 minutes or more.

You'll run through your "stock" phrases very quickly, so this forces you to come up with different ways of phrasing the those notes.

Can you play them as triplets or as quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteen notes, etc.? Can you start with bending your notes? Can you play the same three-four notes in more than one time signature? Can you downpick, alternate pick, economy pick, or use legato to play the notes? Can you mix all of the above?

How do you phrase them? There's so much you can do with just a few notes. Players like David Gilmour and Jeff Beck are masters at phrasing. Listen to players like them and others, and hear how different people take literally the same exact notes from a scale and come up with totally different ideas.
Do you understand how to use all the modes of the major scale? Try doing something in phrygian or dorian. They're all part of the major scale, and you could spend your whole life on those alone.
Quote by notsominidude
yeah i do realize that so how would i go about learning to phrase better does it just come with time and practise

Well it comes with experimentation along with other knowledge.
Check out these videos, and practice everything he suggests:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfBKzEXFZDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysN31SKkroU
Quote by JudgeDrey
There's been 50 trillion songs based on the scales you mentioned and you're already starting to sound stale?

This.

But if you are playing melodic/metalcore, then you should look at the diminished scales.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!