I've read through all the threads here with no help, as well as the stickey on VSTs and online things on how to do this.

I know my problem lies somewhere with Reaper because I have downloaded all the VSTs from the stickey about it, and none will add to Reaper. I've extracted the ones that needed it, and added them to a folder under reaper, did the preferences>plug ins> VST and added them, but they still dont show up when i search for them in the fx thing in the mixer.

help
my computer is running at 64 bit so i'm running reaper64. i tried installing the 32 bit version of reaper just to see what would happen, and i did all the same things and it allows me to add them in there. but i can't actually use the 32 bit version because i tired this on a "download only" computer i built. it has no sound inputs or outputs, and only one usb port that allows internet. i did it all the same way as on this computer and it allowed me to get them there.

why doesn't it allow me to add them in the 64 bit version?

EDIT:

yes i extracted them to the .dll version or whatever they're supposed to be. i followed everything step by step and it just does not allow me to add (when i click on Rescan Directory after adding them in the preferences thing, i dont get that loading bar. nothing happens)
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jan 8, 2010,
I put all my downloaded VST's in a folder on my desktop and then in reaper load them in the preferences menu. Press "P"
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
What kind of VST's are they, some VST's, mainly amp sims, you have to go in and install the program before the VST will work in Reaper. But simple things like effects plug ins and EQ plugins should work, as long as there in one folder, and not in a sub folder of the folder your trying to update with.

Say if I put all my VST's in a folder named "Recording crap" and then put all the VST's in a subfolder of that folder and named it VST''s, and in prefecences I say update using the "Recording crap" folder, then it wont work.

And some VST's just wont work, try moving your files around, and just experiment that way, it took me a while to get Reaper 64 to accept my VST's.
i'll try moving them around. good idea.
i just dont understand why it worked in the 32 bit version buy not 64.
and nothing is in a subfolder.

EDIT:

okay, i tried moving it to several places and nothing. i have a feeling it has something to do with the "rescan directory" button because when i hit that, nothing happens. i dont get any window coming up showing things are loading. when i hit "clear cache and rescan directory i get the window and i see the VST names, but they dont come up in the fx thing.

also i have several effects (one being revalver as well as 3 basic effects just to be sure) and i have tried re downloading all of them just to be sure and that didnt solve the problem. i have also tried to reinstall Reaper but still same problem. and i even updated Reaper but it still doesnt work. i'm starting to loose hope in all this. the thing worked on my 32 bit computer but not the 64. whats going on!!
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jan 8, 2010,
64 bit daw with 32 bit vsts are headaches.
google bit bridge and vsts
there are softwares to smooth out if you want to use that combination
Reeeeeeboot!
lol
vsts are 32 bit most likely. his daw is 64 bit. 3rd party plugins is not supported with internal bit bridge of reaper. You need jbridge or similar. Or use reaper 32 bit.

*slams hammer
so i got the VSTs onto the 32 bit version of Reaper now.

but ReValver is acting weird. it sounds like there is a buzzy sort of tremolo or static or something. cpu also sometimes jumps to 140% which i think it just stupid cuz i have a really high end computer and a few upgrades as well.
First what type of sound card / interface do you have? Are you using ASIO drivers?
Quote by User_Name336
so i got the VSTs onto the 32 bit version of Reaper now.

but ReValver is acting weird. it sounds like there is a buzzy sort of tremolo or static or something. cpu also sometimes jumps to 140% which i think it just stupid cuz i have a really high end computer and a few upgrades as well.

Yeah, I get that problem when I quad track, and run bass, a clean guitar, lead guitar and drums. I use 100% CPU constantly when I have 10 or more tracks in Reaper. It pisses me off cause its slow and causes my recording to lag like hell.

You need a higher end soundcard, something more Gb of ram.
this isnt supposed to be anything too fancy though. this isn't our bands actual computer that we record on for any professional sounding things. it's mostly just so we remember what we came up with and to send to friends so they can say yay or nay to the songs.

we dont even have multiple things running at once. one thing going line in on the sound card. we chose my computer cuz i have quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram. its just weird to me that just trying to plug into revalver causes the cpu to hit 140% while with our actual recording computer (which isnt as good as this one!) can handle 10 inputs without a problem.

EDIT:

i figured out how to get it to export with the sound now, but playback is still an issue. i cant actually listen to what i recorded. it sounds scratchey and jumpy. the exported file is perfect. and i also managed to cut down the CPU usage to about 50%.

what am i doing wrong? why is the playback still an issue?
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jan 10, 2010,