Alright so for the past few months I've been looking into a Desktop that will allow me to record my music. Honestly, I really want to get a PC. I'll get all necessary software needed to back up work in case of crashes, and the best anti-virus software. What specs would be best for recording... as of now the computer I have set up now looks a little something like this.

Intel i7 3.06gz processor (possibly 2)
18 Gb of RAM (possibly 24)
2TB Hardrive (7200 RPM)
Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Sound Card

Everything else is more or less history (correct me if I'm wrong lol)

I've worked with macs and can't stand them....I've tried, I really have... but I grew up with windows, and I personally like them better....so mac lovers/pc haters.... keep that argument out please...I've decided on a PC.

I've already got some basic recording equipment mapped out... my over all budget for my pc and recording equipment is around 7000. For recording I plan on getting a Tascam 2488neo and Protools....I've done my research but there may be tons of things that I've missed so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for all help, also I apologize if this is possibly in the wrong thread... this seemed like the best to me lol ^^;
Learning more about music and all its glory one post at a time.
What do you plan on recording? That would work well for a near professional studio but is massive overload for a home studio. How much will that run? You may want to spread the money around a bit more for pre amps, converters, mics and such.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Dang dude, that's like a professional studio computer, I just use an Asus G71 laptop with 6Gb of ram and a 500 G hard drive with a pretty high end sound card, not high end enough though for how I record.

Any Asus would make an epic home recording computer, and 18 Gb of ram, thats insane, you'll never have any problems with that much ram. But like the guy said above, invest in a decent computer, not something insane, and invest more in things like interfaces and mics.

EDIT: You would get better responses in the RR form though.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by Led man32
What do you plan on recording? That would work well for a near professional studio but is massive overload for a home studio. How much will that run? You may want to spread the money around a bit more for pre amps, converters, mics and such.

Well, I really want to try to get as close to professional as possible. And the pc on it's own (through HP anyways) ran around 4k which leaves plenty of budget space for other equipment.
The 18 Gb of Ram will be used, because not only do I want to record...but I also use programs like Adobe Photoshop and Flash....so I need the ram to support other functions as well lol...I suppose it's more of a failsafe attempt XD
Well I would try and slim down the PC a bit. I would think you can get something for 2 maybe 3k at the most that will more than suit your needs. Whether it sounds "Professional" or not does not come from your PC. It comes from the preamps, converters, Mics, and most of all your knowledge and experience.

With that said I would go for some high quality pre amps, converters, and mics as opposed to an overloaded PC. Also there is no need at all for a quality sound card since that will be bypassed while recording anyway.

PS: Don't forget monitors and headphones for tracking.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
18GB is overkill for photoshop and flash, though maybe you'd utilize some of it recording.

Spend more money on actual recording equipment. Plus, the return value you get on that computer is not going to be very good. Spend 2k less on a computer and it will be much more worth your money. Thats 2K more you have for mics, preamps, ect
/rig