Just for common knowledge, I would like you to answer this question.

What do you think is the best sounding, most versatile Les Paul style guitar for it's price, in your eyes (it can be from an other companie then gibson)

lets put a maximum price of about 2000$ or 3000$
For that price, you could probably get a custom guitar.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
He means you could have any experienced Luthier or Canadian guitar companies make you a custom LP shaped instrument for that price, completely tailored to your needs (such as being versatile).
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
In that range, the Les Paul Standard. I like the Custom a bit more, but it is over $3,000.00.
I really liked the feel of the esp eclipse.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
i like the standard too, although there's no doubt in anybody's mind that the Gibson BFG is versatile. with a humbucker in the bridge and p90 in the neck it's definitely a world of tones.

but for your price range you could easily build a warmoth or carvin guitar. i'm a huge warmoth fan, and can't recommend them enough. definitely look into the BFG though. very cool guitars.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i like the standard too, although there's no doubt in anybody's mind that the Gibson BFG is versatile. with a humbucker in the bridge and p90 in the neck it's definitely a world of tones.

but for your price range you could easily build a warmoth or carvin guitar. i'm a huge warmoth fan, and can't recommend them enough. definitely look into the BFG though. very cool guitars.

Again with the warmoth? The bfgs are nice guitars. I can agree with that.

Personally if you're going for the LP tone you can't beat a Gibson. I have yet to hear any lp copies that I like better than a Gibson. Prs single cutaways are pretty nice as well.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
for that price range, i personally would go for a PRS single cut. i like the look and feel of PRS guitars a lot more than gibson. plus you can choose between the 245 and 250 to get the scale length you prefer.

for its price, i dont think you can beat the michael kelly patriot for a LP style guitar. not anywhere near the $2k mark, but in its range i dont know of anything id rather have.
Yeah, a PRS Singlecut is a great idea.

My other suggestion is Warmoth or Carvin.
A warmoth is made to your specs - but the thing is, you have to assemble it, and it's a bolt-on neck, which sounds different from a set neck. The Carvin is impeccable quality, but it's a 25" scale guitar, so it'll feel a bit different.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ippon
MIJ Edwards, Orville, Burny, Tokai, Epi, etc. and with the proper headstock for less than $1000:

And most of them (hell, maybe all of them) are illegal in the U.S.A.
Quote by Ippon
eBay is in big trouble now!

Well, the epiphones aren't - I mean, Gibson owns them for god's sake.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ippon
Same as Orville - by Gibson. I hope everybody else got what I meant.

I got the point, but to be clear, both the Epiphone and the Orville are illegal in the U.S.A. Orville was founded in cooperation with Gibson to sell guitars overseas. The Epiphone with the Gibson "Moustache" headstock was also meant strictly for the overseas market. Because of copyright reasons, they can't sell them in the U.S.A.

I've read that the Orville guitars were very nice.
Hands down a Gibson Les Paul is the best when you find the right one it can't be beat by copies. Sure there are tons of copies but as far as the true Les Paul tone it's Gibson all the way. Epiphone coming in a close second. I have played and I own some decent LP copies I like and own. I think Jay Turser makes a great LP copy but they use alder instead of mahogany but i still like the tone. Agile makes a great LP copy best next to Epi.

That open book headstock on copies doesn't mean crap it's just a copyright infringement. I never could figure out why Gibson lets it go on some of those Japanese copies. Epi and Orville might get away with it but the rest I don't know how.

I find Gibsons used for fairly cheap prices. I have gotten Gibson LPs for as low as $350.00 and never paid more than $1200.00 for most. There are a few exceptions where I will pay more but those are far and few between.

John
Quote by Ippon
Orvilles and MIJ Epis for the Japan market only are indeed very nice. I just haven't seen Gibson go after the importers and exporters on eBay, making them in theory, not illegal, if they were illegal in the first place.

Actually, they have gone after them. They just don't go after individuals who sell one or two of them. They want the guys that bring them in by the boatload. They also direct most of their efforts toward going after counterfeiters who make phony Gibsons.

A lot of people over here would love to be able to purchase a Burny or a high-end Tokai copy. They are supposed to be sweet guitars. And the Epiphone guitars that sell by the truckload over here don't compare to the high-end Epiphones available in Japan.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.
Les paul standards are pretty sweet, but make sure to play before you buy as I hear gibson QC can be pretty unpredictable.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
TBH, I wouldn't consider Jay Tursers or Agiles in the same ballpark. Of course nothing beats the original but the Japan copies can come awfully close. They're also a better choice for gigs and band practices instead of hauling the prized Gibsons.

Quote by 999_onyx_999
I don't think there are any Gibson custom shops in Quebec, at least I never heard of any:P
go to long&mcquade they are the biggest Canadian dealer of Gibson, they should be able to submit a price request to Gibson after you tell them what you want. expect to pay more than 3k for a totally custom Gibson though
Why not just get a luthier to build you one...

May I present...

(not my guitar, a guy on another forum built it)

another one...

(again, a guy on another forum built this one too) this one is 1959 spec.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 9, 2010,
So I think I've seen a few others that weren't Gibson Licensed with the "moustache headstock"

It's an artform. It isn't necessarily messing with their sales, is it? then why does a /shape/ have a license on it?

If Gibson can license a headstock, I'm copyrighting trapezoids.
Quote by al112987
Why not just get a luthier to build you one...

May I present...

another one...
(again, a guy on another forum built this one too) this one is 1959 spec.

I read the whole thread on the les paul forum. He put a ****ton of work into that thing.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I read the whole thread on the les paul forum. He put a ****ton of work into that thing.
it just requires certain skills and tools. one can buy the bodies and tops and neck blanks already prepared from high quality wood for $1000 or so and pay someone another $500-$1000 to assemble it and finish it.

Reading the build threads on the MLP forum literally make me GAS like nothing else. I'm thinking about doing my own build now.
Quote by al112987
it just requires certain skills and tools. one can buy the bodies and tops and neck blanks already prepared from high quality wood for $1000 or so and pay someone another $500-$1000 to assemble it and finish it.

Reading the build threads on the MLP forum literally make me GAS like nothing else. I'm thinking about doing my own build now.

Builds are fun, man. You'll like it.

Thing is, he bought a couple blanks of wood, plus a pre-carved top - everything was done two people.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by jof1029
for that price range, i personally would go for a PRS single cut. i like the look and feel of PRS guitars a lot more than gibson. plus you can choose between the 245 and 250 to get the scale length you prefer.

for its price, i dont think you can beat the michael kelly patriot for a LP style guitar. not anywhere near the $2k mark, but in its range i dont know of anything id rather have.

+1 to all of this (particularly the bit about the PRS)