So this is a new year for me to really improve in my guitar playing, but Im having trouble progressing. I've been playing for about 3 years yet I haven't progressed a lot, I've just been playing around with my guitar but not practicing consistently. I want this year to be the most successful. I also want to learn songs from the following bands that have influenced me: Pantera, Bad Brains, Suicidal Tendencies, Suffocation, Slayer, Exodus, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Misfits, Death, Cro Mags, Black Flag, Napalm Death, Carcass, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Crowbar, Ozzy Osbourne, Minor Threat, Testament, In Flames Parliament/Funkadelic, DRI, Cannibal Corpse, Motorhead, Discharge, At The Gates, Zapp/Roger Troutman, Black Dahlia Murder,Nirvana, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue.

The things is though Im not sure if I should use the tabs on this website or learn by ear? I also dont really understand the basics of scales or using a metronome/note duration and Im having a hard time figuring out a practice schedule I could use to help me get better?

Please everyone, Im wanting this to be a serious question/answer thread because I really want to progress as a musician and am having a hard time getting there.

thanks you for your help
start off with tabs and chord sheets, start with songs from your favourite artists or songs you know very well as you will know the rythem better, then when you get confident try learn it by ear, lnowing what tuning the guitarist uses commonly will help you learn by ear quicker
Why not do everything you mentioned? You can try to do everything each day, or rotate each day. A lot of it you can do at the same time. Just manage your time better and make an outline of what you want to learn. You pretty much stated what you need/want to learn, it's just your problem is you're overwhelmed by it all. So spread everything out. As far as how to learn it, just use the internet. I'm sure if you're really dedicated, then you'll find a way. I on the other hand, am not, so I never really got anywhere with guitar playing.
for theory, pick up a set of books from a MAJOR COMPANY like hal leonard. start with the begginer stuff and dont move to the next page until you've totally memorized the stuff. it is a long and tedious process, but knowing your theory makes everything make sense; you know what your favorite guitar player is playing rather than it seeming like random notes that sound cool together.

also, practice some easier stuff! its pretty tough to go out and learn pantera or hendrix from the outset. take the time to learn some basic songs so you can get a feel for things before trying out the tough stuff (you dont learn to drive in a ferrari, you learn in a daewoo)

but really focus on some basic theory. scales, chords, arpeggios and timing (that stuff a metronome is for...) will make more sense and you'll have a bank of knowlegde to use