Guys I've been trying to develop finger independence and I was wondering if there was anything that I could do that would not require the guitar while Im walking around or waiting in line etc.

I have a Grimpmaster finger exerciser, i was wondering if there are exercises I could do with that and what they are.

Also if there are any other exercise that I could do that would build my third and pinky finger.

Everytime I try to bend the pinky finger my third finger bends at the same time...why?

How do I develop sending the impulse only down the finger I want and not any other fingers? It seems I cant help but stop myself from moving other fingers while trying to move one finger. I notice alot of unnecessary tension when i try to fret with the third finger, i use my right hand and feel the other fingers and notice that the first and second fingers are TIGHT and stiff and not loose. I cant seem to isolate sending power down one finger.

Sometimes I tape all my fingers except the third and fourth finger this way they dont move and I start to feel the difference between moving my third and forth finger. Does anyone else tape fingers they dont want to move together and practice the ones they want to build independence in?

Most importantly what is the best way and fastest way to develop finger independence, through using the finger gripmaster tool. OR doing patterns on a guitar itself?
I'd say you could do these on both guitar and your exercise tool, with your exercise tool the numbers would indicate your fingers:

1 2 3 4
1 2 4 3
1 3 2 4
1 3 4 2
1 4 2 3
1 4 3 2

and just do that pattern starting with your 2nd finger, then 3rd, then 4th

pretty easy to figure out
One exercise you could do is just tap your fingers on a wall or something in a weird order.

And your 3rd and 4th fingers want to move together because they are linked by a common tendon. Through strength training and independence training you can get over it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by harkkam
I have a Grimpmaster finger exerciser, i was wondering if there are exercises I could do with that and what they are.

The Gripmaster doesn't really help. People are under the illusion they need finger strength, when in reality they need independence of the fingers a lot more.

Quote by harkkam
Also if there are any other exercise that I could do that would build my third and pinky finger.

You could practice moving them independently. Put all your fingers on a flat surface and lift each one up separately without the other fingers moving.

Quote by harkkam
Every time I try to bend the pinky finger my third finger bends at the same time...why?

The ring and pinky fingers share one tendon. We haven't fully evolved to 4 fingers yet, we're at like 3 and a half.

Quote by harkkam
How do I develop sending the impulse only down the finger I want and not any other fingers? It seems I cant help but stop myself from moving other fingers while trying to move one finger. I notice alot of unnecessary tension when i try to fret with the third finger, i use my right hand and feel the other fingers and notice that the first and second fingers are TIGHT and stiff and not loose. I cant seem to isolate sending power down one finger.

Check out rock discipline in my sig. Do the chordal changing exercises, that will help immensely if done every day.

Quote by harkkam
Sometimes I tape all my fingers except the third and fourth finger this way they dont move and I start to feel the difference between moving my third and forth finger. Does anyone else tape fingers they don't want to move together and practice the ones they want to build independence in?

Bad idea. Just practice independence.

Quote by harkkam
Most importantly what is the best way and fastest way to develop finger independence, through using the finger gripmaster tool. OR doing patterns on a guitar itself?

Like I said earlier, that tool won't do much for finger independence. The video in my sig will help you a lot more.
Quote by harkkam

Try not to think of it as "sending power down one finger". You're not sending any power. The muscles have the power already, you're just telling them to use it.

If you try to "send more power" what you'll end up doing is telling more muscles to act than you really need- which is where excess tensions come from. To move one finger on its own (as much as what's possible for our hands), you need to concentrate on moving only one finger, not "sending more power"!

Hope that helps a bit.
yeah that does help. Thats a better way to look at it.

However when I try to move one finger the other one moves when I dont want it to.
Put your hand flat on a table,

THen move your index finger out from "the group of fingers".

hen you do the sam with the index and middle finger, then with the index middle and ring finger.

Then you just do it starting with the pinky.

And try to do this on both hands, one hand startin on the index and one startin on the pinky

And t get it a little harder, do it not on the same time on both hands, just switch, left, right, left, right..

Its gonna help a bit
Quote by harkkam
yeah that does help. Thats a better way to look at it.

However when I try to move one finger the other one moves when I dont want it to.

Needs more time. This sort of thing takes MONTHS to get right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^I'd argue years rather than months. I view finger independence as part of your overall dexterity. The longer you play the more control you gain over what your fingers are doing.
So, you need to be patient with this one. Yes, there are exercises you can do to speed the process along, but you have to view it as something that develops over time, rather than something you can work on and fix like a specific problem in your playing.
Quote by se012101
^I'd argue years rather than months. I view finger independence as part of your overall dexterity. The longer you play the more control you gain over what your fingers are doing.
So, you need to be patient with this one. Yes, there are exercises you can do to speed the process along, but you have to view it as something that develops over time, rather than something you can work on and fix like a specific problem in your playing.

I think if you worked on it pretty diligently you could get pretty good finger independence in a few months but really the specific period of time wasn't the important part of the post anyway, I guess I should have put more emphasis on the whole "Patience young padawan" bit
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.