Budget-$650. Thats firm.
Style-Hard rock/Christian Rock/Bit of metal. Favorite 2 guitarists are Slash and Mark Tremonti
Situation-First electric guitar, been playing acoustic for a while

Schecter C1-Plus with Hardshell case $400
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/msg/1538681006.html
I'm gonna go to guitar center, and try out the Schecter, see if I can get them to throw in a case. If not, I'll just go used. I think it's in pretty good condition.

Fender Princeton Chorus 2x10. It said 125w on the back, but I've looked up some stuff and I usually see 50w. Not sure if the 125w was referencing something else or...but the thing is REALLY loud. Bedroom level is 0.5 on the volume. Can't find a link.
plus
Zoom GFX-8 processor board.
for $250

I've done my research, and don't think I can do much better. Thoughts?
Like, just for guitars that I can dream about getting in the future ? Or do you mean epiphones in the $400 range lol
its looks like a pretty decent setup

though, I would look to find an amp with a 1x12 or 2x12 configuration (the rating on the princeton, thats the power it needs btw). this will give you less compression on the bass side of things, which you will probably like. Im also not a huge fan of the Zoom multi-effects (i have a GFX-8 actually), theyre a little noisy and the tones arent great. maybe shop around for an amp with better distorted tones in it and scrap the pedal idea?
Quote by krehzeekid
its looks like a pretty decent setup

though, I would look to find an amp with a 1x12 or 2x12 configuration (the rating on the princeton, thats the power it needs btw). this will give you less compression on the bass side of things, which you will probably like. Im also not a huge fan of the Zoom multi-effects (i have a GFX-8 actually), theyre a little noisy and the tones arent great. maybe shop around for an amp with better distorted tones in it and scrap the pedal idea?

or get some stomp boxes?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
But since my budget is firm, and I don't have much of an income, wouldn't the amp and board be the best possible? The alternative WAS a Peavey vypyr 30w...but this fender is louder, and the board allows for more customization. And the sound on the board sounded good to me.
the amp is good, dont get me wrong. just for metal a fender doesnt have the best basic tone... look for a used randall combo maybe (i just sold one for $200 CAD). i really dont like the tone in the pedal, it sounded really good innitially, but the more i played it the more it became clear that there was no nuance to the tone and that it all sounded totally gimmicky.

im a fan of the simplest possible set up, if that means a two channel amp with a distortion pedal (for boost), thats the way to go. you can get a good set up (randall RG100 and a boss dist pedal) for $250 CAD (i just sold a rig at that price) and im sure you could do better in USD. dont buy the first rig because it looks like a half suitable rig. be patient and get the right rig. theres no sense in buying something you wont want anymore in 6 months if your on a budget. buy the right setup once
Quote by shadowkamakazi
Like, just for guitars that I can dream about getting in the future ? Or do you mean epiphones in the $400 range lol

look at epiphones, prs (may not be the best but no harm in trying them), ibanez, esp, and compare them to the schecter

edit: i'm not saying prs are bad, all i'm saying is that i heard the low end prs les pauls are not the worlds best in their price
Last edited by britishsligean at Jan 8, 2010,
PRS SE series, they are great.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000