The cover of my Schecter's bridge pickup has gotten a bit loose. I couldn't care less about that, what annoys me is that the vibration from the strings carries across to the loose cover and makes a sound like fret buzz on crack.

Obviously, the bugger has got to be tightened. Or removed. Preferably the former though, because I like the look of the gold covers on quilted amber maple.

Any idea how to do this? Shouldn't be too hard.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
The cover? Screw it down, probably a crosshead. You see those screws either side of the pickup (hopefully)? Righty-tighty, though it shouldn't really be loose :/. What kind of cover is it on those?
Just liked you described. I wasn't sure if those were for show or actual anchors. I haven't really taken one of these apart to see whats under them before.

Schecter > Ibanez....

on a serious note, see if you can just remove it, given they're passive humbuckers.
I tightened them to what seemed to me quite a bit but the cover is still pretty loose. It seems 'better' but for all I know that could just be a plaxibo effect.

Schecter>Ibanez

And I might remove them after all, just to see what I'm working with...

Quote by leftyace
I tightened them to what seemed to me quite a bit but the cover is still pretty loose. It seems 'better' but for all I know that could just be a plaxibo effect.

Schecter>Ibanez

And I might remove them after all, just to see what I'm working with...

That is the new response to any troll that comes here. It was established earlier today
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']That is the new response to any troll that comes here. It was established earlier today
Haha I saw...some heads turned in the school library to see what I was laughing at. Gotta love those trolls.
I dunno if it's quite as funny in this thread though because it actually has to do with a Schecter/Ibanez.

Quote by leftyace
Haha I saw...some heads turned in the school library to see what I was laughing at. Gotta love those trolls.
I dunno if it's quite as funny in this thread though because it actually has to do with a Schecter/Ibanez.

Even less chance of getting in trouble.
Kinda sad you have to worry about getting in trouble for saying schecter>ibanez...

Uh oh, gotta keep this on my own topic. Um, yea cover is still loose kinda. No big deal really.

Quote by leftyace
Kinda sad you have to worry about getting in trouble for saying schecter>ibanez...

Uh oh, gotta keep this on my own topic. Um, yea cover is still loose kinda. No big deal really.

If I weren't facing a perma-ban, I wouldn't care.
Is it a cover on a humbucker? Metal covers are usually held on by solder to the pick up base plate, plastic covers usually with glue or epoxy no Schecter HB I have ever seen was held on by screws. Those 6 pole screws have nothing to do with the cover if there is exposed pole screws. If you do not care if the cover is on or off take it off.

Now if the whole pick up is loose then you might need to replace the springs on the two height adjustments. I have seen those get week and fail leaving your pick up flopping in the breeze. I try and use a stronger spring with more tension.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Is it a cover on a humbucker? Metal covers are usually held on by solder to the pick up base plate, plastic covers usually with glue or epoxy no Schecter HB I have ever seen was held on by screws. Those 6 pole screws have nothing to do with the cover if there is exposed pole screws. If you do not care if the cover is on or off take it off.

Now if the whole pick up is loose then you might need to replace the springs on the two height adjustments. I have seen those get week and fail leaving your pick up flopping in the breeze. I try and use a stronger spring with more tension.

John

Alright, its a metal HB cover so it would make sense that after 3 years the solder could have crapped out. The screws didn't really make a difference, just made some wax come out of the screw holes...
I'd rather keep the cover on than off and the buzz doesn't affect the sound through the amp, just is annoying while playing acoustically. If I wanted to just take the cover off what would I have to do?

Well at least you know the pups are wax potted! LOL You would have to remove the pup from the body but you won't have to disconnect it or cut any wires and hit it with a soldering iron.

This article might help:
http://www.specialtyguitars.com/pickupnotes.html

Edit here is something I found on Stewie Mac:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Humbucking_Pickup_Covers.html?tab=Instructions#details

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jan 8, 2010,
Just melt some more solder onto the seam - but be VERY careful to not get it in the coils.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Mazzakazza
I don't understand the Schecter>Ibanez thing?

Earlier yesterday there was someone who posted just "schecter >ibanez" on a thread about Jacksons or something else completely non Schecter/Ibanez related. It ws hard to tell if it was serious or trolling, I'm still not completely sure.