for a 1st bass guitar what would u recommend? i saw a squier bass for £89 it just had x1 pick up. is that any good for the beginner.
The FAQ would help.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Fender Precision and a lot of Music Man basses have just one pickup and they work fine. As long as it plays well, it should be good for a beginner. Did you like it?
£89? Sure, good price if you like the bass. I hate it like you wouldn't believe, but others swear by them. Either way its a very good price if new.

Quote by xTKsaucex
im a newbie myself and I got an Ibanez GSR200, good value for money with active pick up. Not great for slap and pop technique but for rock genres it does the buisness.

Actually there's nothing wrong with it for learning to slap, the fact that YOU can't do it isn't a sign of a fault with the bass. Keep trying my friend.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
hi, nah not got it but thinking yea. i play eletric guitar but may play bass on the side for fun, just to muck about on. my bud said save up 1000 and get sting-ray by musicman lol i only got 200 ish to spend at the moment.
you don't need anything near a stingray to just mess about with
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Defiantly, try with that ibanez, No point getting a 2k bass to start, you don't have a style or a feel for it yet, that's the point in beginner, getting the basics down.
CEO - The Meme Store.
CEO - Moustache and Monocle.
Electronic Engineer - Dynamix Audio Engineering.

I enjoy rain. Rain noise is nice.

Caught in the Crossfire
British Post-Rock group.
http://www.facebook.com/CITCMusic
Dead Famous Records
Yeah just read the FAQ.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by cm261
£89? Sure, good price if you like the bass. I hate it like you wouldn't believe, but others swear by them. Either way its a very good price if new.

Actually there's nothing wrong with it for learning to slap, the fact that YOU can't do it isn't a sign of a fault with the bass. Keep trying my friend.

well actually ive been told otherwise in a thread I started a few weeks back, and the problem I mentioned still continues. But yeah, technique maybe an issue.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1252453
Last edited by xTKsaucex at Jan 9, 2010,
^the guys in that thread clearly tell you it's your technique
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

While an expensive bass may look, feel and even sound better than a cheap one, ultimately the player is the majority of what makes a bass sound good or not. I personally started with a cheap Peavy around $300 back in the day and played that till I could make it sound just as good as what other bassists I heard were doing, then I was ready for a $1000+ bass. And slapping certainly isn't the end all of all techniques.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Quote by gilly_90
^the guys in that thread clearly tell you it's your technique

conflicted evidence, someone mentioned that Ibanez wasn't great for slap and pop
Check this out, I went to the local store asking for a GSR200 because that's what everyone recommended here. They had a sexy GSR200FM instead, it just looks cooler, and has a really cool bass boost knob that I always use. I've been using it for about 9 months now and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm pretty sure they come with elixir strings too.
edit: forgot to add the link to "check out": http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=GSR200FM
Last edited by alirazz at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by xTKsaucex
conflicted evidence, someone mentioned that Ibanez wasn't great for slap and pop

just because it's slightly more difficult to get used to doesn't make it necessarily bad
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
just because it's slightly more difficult to get used to doesn't make it necessarily bad

aye, think ive found the problem, i tested out a vintage bass, same layout as GSR200, down at local store and slaps and pops were fine on that so must just be summit unique with mine or summit. No biggy, im not intending to play tonnes of slap and pop