So my main guitar is a beautiful LP that does me quite well, but I do prefer that strat sound and everyone I play (from blues to classic rock) uses a strat, and I just one a good one in my arsenal. I have a Johnson by Axl Strat-like guitar that couldn't have been more than a $200 guitar in its day, but for being stock, it sounds pretty damn good.

What I'm planning to do is replace the pickups, knobs and switches, jacks, and have it adjusted right (action is way too high, intonation is off, etc). My first question is this: would it be worth it? I've been looking into a nice Fender at around the $1000 range and that is just nowhere near my budget. I know I'm not going to be able to get it to sound just like a shiny new Fender, but do you think it would be even worth my time and money? Especially considering the fact this isn't my main guitar.

Second, how much do you think something like this would cost? Obviously there are a million different combos of things I could get, but do you think it would be possible to get it all for under $250ish?

Finally, any recommendations on some reasonably priced pickups? Appreciate any input!
Just look around your local pawn shops. There's usually a good strat knock off, I've also found some good guitars on ebay. But you have to be careful.

The best used guitars are ones that have been played alot. Most people say that guitars that have been around music alot will sound better. Personally I find this to be quite true. Maybe I just "feel" the previous players love in the instrument.

Mexican Strats are quite good in quality and playability. Usually you can pick one up for cheap. I had one that I played alot for about 2 years and it just got toooo much fret wear. I didn't think that it would be worth replacing the neck.

Action on strats is different than Gibsons. Gibsons are low usually and strats to get more sustain and ring from the strings tend to be a bit higher. But that's not fact so much as my opinion.

Another option that you may not have considered is spending a little money on a new pickup on you LP and getting a push pull pot put in so you can coil tap and get that single coil sound you want. With the push pull pot you don't have to drill any holes in your potentially collectable LP and still get the options for sound that you want.

For a quickie fix without changing anything about your LP, consider an older mexican strat. Most people find the quality to be quite high and the price more than reasonable.

Good luck.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
You said it sounds just fine as is, so why are you planning on changing every thing...
You know the old saying "if it aint broke don't fix it".
And no one can help you without the following,
1) Music style (I know you said blues and classic rock but rolling stones sound nothing like zepplin, just like BB sounds nothing like stevie ray)
2) What amp do you use
3) What effects???
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Originally Posted by Dawginator
He's Irish and a punk
To be sure it is true
Normally when he speaks it makes more sense than you.

Sorry spam, but very funny!
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag