i have a jackson dk2, are gotoh floyd roses better than the jackson's licenced ones??
im looking to tune more easily and better tune stability
yeah, should be a lot better. you'd want to check it's a direct swap, though. there's a routing diagram for the gotoh one on wdmusic (at least, there used to be).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, should be a lot better. you'd want to check it's a direct swap, though.

+1
Suhr say its the best double locking trem they've ever used, even better than the OFR.
The gotoh IS a direct replacement for an OFR, but you cannot downtune dramatically because the saddle bolts can be too long depending on how your guitar intoneates.

It is a great trem though with the only downside is that there isn't much range in the fine tuners.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
I've heard great things about the gotoh. It is a direct replacement for the OFR but i've heard that the block is slightly longer. If I'm not mistaken, Jackson licensed trems are pretty much the same dimensions as the OFR or Gotoh. I'm guessing that it would be a great replacement but double check that it will fit.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
No wait a sec though, alot of the pro series jacksons (RR3 and DK2 if i m not mistaken) have lo profile trems. You definitely need to check that before trying to put and OFR copy in there.

You d have to find an OFRpro copy, if you indeed have a lo profile trem in your guitar.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
I swapped my Jackson low profile trem (JT580P i think the model is) for a gotoh and it's certainly a great improvement.

As far as fitting is concerned you need to drill out the existing post holes to a larger diameter (but the location is fine) and after you intonate your strings the locking screws for the E and A strings don't fit inside the existing route.

I've been thinking about shortening the screws a bit because at the moment I can't pull up on the trem
Quote by Diamond Dave
I swapped my Jackson low profile trem (JT580P i think the model is) for a gotoh and it's certainly a great improvement.

As far as fitting is concerned you need to drill out the existing post holes to a larger diameter (but the location is fine) and after you intonate your strings the locking screws for the E and A strings don't fit inside the existing route.

I've been thinking about shortening the screws a bit because at the moment I can't pull up on the trem

This will help, but it isn't necessary, the posts in the guitar will do fine.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by SG310user
This will help, but it isn't necessary, the posts in the guitar will do fine.

yeah but if i'm replacing a trem with another because i don't think the existing one is as good I want to be using all the new parts
if i can remember correctly, i think (as someone said) the block is a bit bigger on the gotoh (than the ofr), and i think the studs might be marginally bigger. but there are routing diagrams available online to make sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
use the same studs... dont start drilling your guitar just to replace the studs. It will not make a difference. As long as you use the new posts, the upgraded trem will work wonderfully!
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Go for it; It's a good replacement in my opinion since I use a Gotoh now in my Ibanez (way better than that 'Edge III' crap :P )
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster: American Standard
Ibanez: RG370DX
Amps:
Engl Powerball 100w Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
if i can remember correctly, i think (as someone said) the block is a bit bigger on the gotoh (than the ofr), and i think the studs might be marginally bigger. but there are routing diagrams available online to make sure.

thats correct actually, I forgot about that.

The block for the gotoh slightly sticks out the back of my guitar now, not so far that its a problem but far enough that you can't get the back on.

Quote by Leeav
use the same studs... dont start drilling your guitar just to replace the studs. It will not make a difference. As long as you use the new posts, the upgraded trem will work wonderfully!

the new posts are a different diameter to the existing ones and wont fit in the original studs, you have to redrill for the studs if you want to use the new posts
Perhaps a noob question, whats better. Schaller floyd or gotoh?
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
^ either is going to be a fairly big upgrade on a substandard trem like e.g. an edge III. Regarding which is better- i haven't used a schaller for long enough to be sure. I would say they're both in the list of "good" trems, though, but obviously some guitarists will like one better than the other and vice-versa.

Quote by Leeav

it's possible i've got completely the wrong end of the stick here, but surely the new posts won't fit in the old studs?
Quote by Diamond Dave
thats correct actually, I forgot about that.

The block for the gotoh slightly sticks out the back of my guitar now, not so far that its a problem but far enough that you can't get the back on.

the new posts are a different diameter to the existing ones and wont fit in the original studs, you have to redrill for the studs if you want to use the new posts

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?