I'm looking for a new amp, to replace my Rocker 30. Quite frankly, the direction we're going in my band is heavier, and although I love the Rocker 30, it has not the gain or the tightness to follow me where I need to go. I was also thinking of downgrading to some sort of Hybrid or Mosfet amp. I'm really liking my drummers old Valvestate 8080, but I don't like the clean channel that much to be honest. So something with a nice American clean channel, and a brutal (American) distortion channel would be awesome, can go used if it's widely available. I live in London after all. So, my specs:

>Giggable. That means I need between 80 and 150w, because some of the pits I've played require unmiced loudness, and I'm back with the old problem of solid state headroom.

>2/3 channels. Goes without saying I suppose.

>FX Loop. Really is a must, I have a T.C Electronic rack FX I need to be able to use.

>Budget: Whatever I can get the Rocker 30 and Attenuator/Power Amp to go for I guess. I reckon (with no prior knowledge to be honest with you) I can get around £600 the whole lot. Feel free to say I'm being silly, or even overly conservative if you have more experience in the used market. I don't sell gear often, but a student at university doesn't have the collateral or the space to keep 2 big ass heads just for novelty factor. I need function, as much as I'd love to.

Any suggestions would be great guys, it's been a while since I was in the amp market, and I didn't think I would be again, but here I am.

P.S I had an idea that the Randall RH150G3 head would be pretty good. Any thoughts?

If you look on Musicradar there was a Mesa .22 Caliber going on there pretty cheap the other day.

Also, PM me how much you want for the Orange and some pics of it

EDIT: I know the Mesa isn't Mofset or anything but it's damned nice

How about a rack set up? That way you can get the tube pre-amp for nice metal tones and then a Mofset power amp to give ultiimate head room?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Jan 8, 2010,
It's valve and all that, but GAK have got the Randall RM100 modular heads going for £750, which is a bit of a steal. If you're going lower than that, then I'd recommend a Line 6 Flextone. The Randall RH isn't too bad, but it's not great either, and you'll probably get a nicer tone from something like a Bugera
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by SimplyBen
If you look on Musicradar there was a Mesa .22 Caliber going on there pretty cheap the other day.

Also, PM me how much you want for the Orange and some pics of it

EDIT: I know the Mesa isn't Mofset or anything but it's damned nice

How about a rack set up? That way you can get the tube pre-amp for nice metal tones and then a Mofset power amp to give ultiimate head room?

You know, that is a really good idea. An ENGL 530 would be pretty nice. But I don't know any MOSFET Power amplifiers, any ideas in that category?

I'll PM you the pics and that when I'm next home, but that wont be for about 4 weeks. still ok?

Demonikk: I like the idea, but the price is a little too high, and I'll have the same problem I have now, of not being able to turn up loud enough to get good tone. I can't afford to keep all my reamping gear as well :/
So Lee no budget on top of Rocker sales?

I think the Randall modular idea is the way to go. Not sure if there is a modder in UK but I here the modded modules are the way to go. RM4 with pre-modded modules?

Vyper tube head or combo. Axe Fx.

What's on your used market list?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
You know, that is a really good idea. An ENGL 530 would be pretty nice. But I don't know any MOSFET Power amplifiers, any ideas in that category?

I'll PM you the pics and that when I'm next home, but that wont be for about 4 weeks. still ok?

Demonikk: I like the idea, but the price is a little too high, and I'll have the same problem I have now, of not being able to turn up loud enough to get good tone. I can't afford to keep all my reamping gear as well :/

Send me a price and I'll let you know, if it's a good price I'll hang on.

I don't know much about rack gear but I'm sure there are people on here who do know lots. There's a thread for it somewhere around here as well, they're probably the guys to ask.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

311, I'm afraid no budget on top. My parents would hang me, I'm in enough debt as it is

Like i said, I like the RM4. It's just a bit too much money. Vypyr Tube? Yuck. and AxeFX would be great if I needed a load of different sounds, but really, I need 2 sounds, really clean clean, and really brutal brutalz. I don't need anything in between that I can't do with my guitar's volume knob. i wish I lived in the US, then I could just keep my eyes peeled for a good old Ampeg VH140C. Wish it was the same story here in the UK

Ben: Being as I know so little about it, I'm going to talk to a friend of mine who's a luthier, and see what he thinks a decent price would be. I'll keep you posted. Myself, I was hoping around the £400 mark, but I don't know if that's stupid or good atm.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
311, I'm afraid no budget on top. My parents would hang me, I'm in enough debt as it is

Like i said, I like the RM4. It's just a bit too much money. Vypyr Tube? Yuck. and AxeFX would be great if I needed a load of different sounds, but really, I need 2 sounds, really clean clean, and really brutal brutalz. I don't need anything in between that I can't do with my guitar's volume knob. i wish I lived in the US, then I could just keep my eyes peeled for a good old Ampeg VH140C. Wish it was the same story here in the UK

Ben: Being as I know so little about it, I'm going to talk to a friend of mine who's a luthier, and see what he thinks a decent price would be. I'll keep you posted. Myself, I was hoping around the £400 mark, but I don't know if that's stupid or good atm.

That's sounding good to me dude
That's well within my budget and means I can afford a cab as well.

Just out of interest, when you play it with delay / reverb pedals & the overdrive channel on does it muddy up or is okay?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

No FX Loop mate, so delay is off the books unless you're planning to reamp like I did. Reverb may sound a little shoddy too.
What power amp are you running with the attenuator? I'm the market.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Crate Powerblock. But remember I'm in the UK.

What's the verdict on the Line6 HD147? Any good?
^ If I cant find one in North America that might not concern me a whole lot.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, I have to warn you, I don't know a whole lot about shipping, insurance etc. I'm not used to playing the part of seller.
bugera 333xl with nice avatar cab? 333xl has lead crunch and clean channel all being great. Or look for peavey XXX.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
peavey XXL, line 6 HD147
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Problem with the Bugera is it's all valve, 100w. I just can't afford to keep my reamp gear, and I can't turn it up. Also, I have an Orange 212 that I'm keeping, so don't worry about a decent cab.

nutinpwns: I was thinking of the HD147. Is it any good?
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/sxseries.php

Either the SX300 or the SX300H depending on how your rig works.
3 channels, very well priced, great variety in tones (you may need something to push it into insane brutal tones, asuming you mean like, blackgrinddoom metal heavyness) great cleans.
the HD147s are great heads, line 6s higher end stuff is amazing, only issue doesnt come with the footcontroller, something needed, though the insane channel will handle the brutal sound you want and the line 6 clean is imo better than the roland jazzchorus
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Definitely checking that out Punk Ninja.

dertjoe: So from your perspective (and looking at your gear, that is a pretty good perspective) you'd say that I can get good metal tones out of the box at a giggable volume with the 147? Does it cut through the mix ok?

I'm a realist, I'm not expecting a Deizel out of the thing, but some hardcore metal tones, good clean clean and maybe 1 decent crunch is all I'm asking for.

EDIT: Oh, and if I get the 147 I'll have the budget to get the Floorboard, so won't be a problem.
i have no idea about prices in the UK but if you really need a good live tone i'd say tubes are the way to do it. Getting a new bugera or peavy would easily handle it if you picked say a XXX second hand and used it the cab you have, you should have enough money to replace the tubes after how ever long. I have a bugera 333xl and it can get all kinds of massive metal tones while doing a decent jazz tone.

anyway i would say live performance with heaps of volume = tubes
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
Quote by maximus69er
i have no idea about prices in the UK but if you really need a good live tone i'd say tubes are the way to do it. Getting a new bugera or peavy would easily handle it if you picked say a XXX second hand and used it the cab you have, you should have enough money to replace the tubes after how ever long. I have a bugera 333xl and it can get all kinds of massive metal tones while doing a decent jazz tone.

anyway i would say live performance with heaps of volume = tubes

I've done the valve thing, and trust me, you never turn it up loud enough to get the awesome tone without reamping gear. My amp doesn't go heavy enough, even dimed, and I can't afford to keep the reamp gear. Plus it is REALLY annoying to set it all up at a gig. So in my situation, I reckon a decent 100/150w Solid state/Hybrid is definitely the way to go. Not to mention that the leading contender at the moment (HD147) is 300w stereo, so I really don't think that not going loud enough will be a problem, it'll have headroom to spare at gigging volume.
Here's my amp dump for you:

Peavey 6505 112
Bugera 333XL/6262
Peavey 5150
Mesa F-30
Mesa DC-5
Randall MTS series
Crate Blue Voodoo
Randall RG50TC
Line 6 HD147
Ampeg VH-140C
Carvin V3/X-100B
Kustom Quad Cross? I heard it's crap
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I've done the valve thing, and trust me, you never turn it up loud enough to get the awesome tone without reamping gear. My amp doesn't go heavy enough, even dimed, and I can't afford to keep the reamp gear. Plus it is REALLY annoying to set it all up at a gig. So in my situation, I reckon a decent 100/150w Solid state/Hybrid is definitely the way to go. Not to mention that the leading contender at the moment (HD147) is 300w stereo, so I really don't think that not going loud enough will be a problem, it'll have headroom to spare at gigging volume.

Fair enough, give a hiwatt maxwatt G200R a go. i liked the tone i got out of it only it had a tenancy to get a little muddy down the low end so if you are right down low in the register (drop B) then maybe you should give it a miss. it has all the FX stuff to memory. Also i have found the hybrid amps to be a joke when you can just buy a solid state amp, the tube preamp in them provide little tone benefit.
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
I think I'm going to be trying the HD147, Randall 150G3 and keep my eye out for used Vettas, and God willing an Ampeg. Cheers for the list Hellboy.

Just so you know, the Quad is made of fail. I tried it at LIMS (London International Music Show) and it really wasn't all it was cracked up to be).
I was going to weigh in here with suggestions of second hand JCM's and stuff until I read that the TS likes the Valvestate 8080. Realising that this thread was therefore certainly NOT for me I have decided to just gently back away before the monsters see me.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the 147 is where its at if you want a versatile, solid state head with really tight sound for the metal stuff. same can be said about the XXL, which is why i mentioned it, plus they're fairly common on craiglist and whatnot.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Cathbard
I was going to weigh in here with suggestions of second hand JCM's and stuff until I read that the TS likes the Valvestate 8080. Realising that this thread was therefore certainly NOT for me I have decided to just gently back away before the monsters see me.

Seriously, have you played one? The old school death metal sound can be had quite easily on a Valvestate. Please do not confuse old Valvestates with the new Marshall VS series, which are pretty much MGs with a valve added. Oh, and by the way, Second hand JCMs when I'm looking for a really heavy American voiced amp? Please.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the 147 is where its at if you want a versatile, solid state head with really tight sound for the metal stuff. same can be said about the XXL, which is why i mentioned it, plus they're fairly common on craiglist and whatnot.

Duly noted. I'll see what my local store has in, and what they can get hold of. The XXL is definitely on my list to try out