Page 1 of 2
I have a Crate Palomino v50, Line 6 Spider III 75 Combo, Catalinbread WIIO posted up for trade on craigslist. A guy offered me his 1973 Fender Twin Reverb for all 3. I might try to keep the WIIO cause I don't really want to get rid of it. But would this be a good trade? Also how versatile is the Twin Reverb? I know their known for their cleans but how would it handle overdrive and high gain pedals? Also if I'm not happy with it would it be a good investment for retrade/sell?

Has original footswitch. One speaker was replaced with a correct fender replacement. The grill is not discolored just a shadow says the seller.

Here is a pic of the amp:

Thanks
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 8, 2010,
I'd take it. The cleans are prestine and with the right pedal, the tone will be unimaginable.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Give him all three, if you like the WIIO you could always get on used on Ebay for a good price. It'd sound good with the Twin too. I'd say go for it and never look back.

The Twin is a classic and you'll never be disappointed. It truly is a masterpiece.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
I have other pedals. Barber Dirty Bomb, Danelectro Drive V1. Would these sound good with it? Also anyone have any idea of the value of the Twin?
Quote by CrackTheSkye
I have other pedals. Barber Dirty Bomb, Danelectro Drive V1. Would these sound good with it? Also anyone have any idea of the value of the Twin?

It's a Silverface Twin, so it's common. The price he is asking is good if the amp is in good working condition. And it looks cosmetically fine too. Make sure all knobs and inputs work good. It's an old amp, so sometime down the road you'll need to get a few resistors and caps fixed, but thats no biggy.

It's a great amp, those pedals will sound great with it. Fender amps are very pedal friendy, you'll be happy.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Give him all three, if you like the WIIO you could always get on used on Ebay for a good price. It'd sound good with the Twin too. I'd say go for it and never look back.

The Twin is a classic and you'll never be disappointed. It truly is a masterpiece.

The last WIIO I saw on eBay went for $366. I love mine but IMO, it sounds pretty bad through anything voiced like a Twin. It's got this nasty, spitty decay. But his amp isn't worth that much and I'm not a fan of SF Twins. I wouldn't do it, at least if you have to give him the WIIO. By the way, are you the one on Nashville CL?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you can find something *wrong* with it, you could point it out and keep the WIIO possibly, or make him add in some cash. There's a WIIO on eBay now for $160 someting dollars (current bid). But, hey its your money.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
If you can find something *wrong* with it, you could point it out and keep the WIIO possibly, or make him add in some cash. There's a WIIO on eBay now for $160 someting dollars (current bid). But, hey its your money.

It'll definitely go up. They aren't worth as much as they were a month ago but they're still worth quite a bit.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The last WIIO I saw on eBay went for $366. I love mine but IMO, it sounds pretty bad through anything voiced like a Twin. It's got this nasty, spitty decay. But his amp isn't worth that much and I'm not a fan of SF Twins. I wouldn't do it, at least if you have to give him the WIIO. By the way, are you the one on Nashville CL?

Yes I am.

I'm not sure if I'll make the trade. I don't have much knowledge on tube amps and there really aren't any good techs around here if I ever needed repairs. I'd still like to keep the wiio and maybe sell it if it didn't work with the twin.

I just really want a new amp and I'm having alot of trouble getting rid of the ones I got.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by CrackTheSkye
Yes I am.

I'm not sure if I'll make the trade. I don't have much knowledge on tube amps and there really aren't any good techs around here if I ever needed repairs. I'd still like to keep the wiio and maybe sell it if it didn't work with the twin.

If it doesn't work with the Twin, Nic at Catalinbread is letting original owners have theirs modded for free and second hand owners pay a small fee to make it a bit more Fender friendly. I honestly wouldn't do it, not with what WIIOs are worth at the moment.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
If it doesn't work with the Twin, Nic at Catalinbread is letting original owners have theirs modded for free and second hand owners pay a small fee to make it a bit more Fender friendly. I honestly wouldn't do it, not with what WIIOs are worth at the moment.

Yeah I've heard about the mod. I'll definitely try to hold onto the WIIO. Any idea what the Palomino is worth?
Not a bad deal, if you actually want a Fender Twin. Might be a 'legendary' amp (well, the Blackfaces) but it doesn't necessarily make it a good amp for everyone. Although they take pedals alright, I'd pass on it for anything heavier than blues/rock.

Personally, I'd see if the guy will accept a cash substitute instead of the WIIO and if not, keep looking.
Even though a Silverface Twin 'Verb is nothing remotely special, the name's 'legendary' status carries weight - so once you've got it, if you don't like it you can use it as a bargaining chip to trade for an amp you do want!
The fun of guitar gear is that once you've got a decent amp, you can basically trade it for another decent amp anytime you want...
Quote by CrackTheSkye
Yeah I've heard about the mod. I'll definitely try to hold onto the WIIO. Any idea what the Palomino is worth?

Probably a few hundred. Maybe $350. I haven't seen many used lately. I know they were around $600 and then got marked down to $400 when they got discontinued so you may not be able to get that much but I always start high then go lower if I have too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Offering cash is not an option as all my money is put back for this semester at college. So the guy wanting to trade is right up my alley. I do play stuff heavier than blues/rock but lately I've been playing alot of classic rock and blues influenced stuff. But I would like to have something that can do higher gain if needed.

I was also thinking around $350. The thing is noone wants a crate. I would probably have better success at trying to trade the Twin than my current gear.

Thanks for the input guess I'll have some thinking/bargaining to do. Please continue to either talk me into or out of this amp.
I would counter offer without the WIIO. They aren't real easy to come by from what I can see. Unfortunately that's probably what he's after more than anything. I love vintage Fender amps and the 73 is cool but it does look a little beat. Check it out in depth as far as you can. Take a guitar to try it and see how it reacts. For what it's worth the 73 Twins I've seen probably average $500-$750. Good luck.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Jan 8, 2010,
Quote by CrackTheSkye
Offering cash is not an option as all my money is put back for this semester at college. So the guy wanting to trade is right up my alley. I do play stuff heavier than blues/rock but lately I've been playing alot of classic rock and blues influenced stuff. But I would like to have something that can do higher gain if needed.

I was also thinking around $350. The thing is noone wants a crate. I would probably have better success at trying to trade the Twin than my current gear.

Thanks for the input guess I'll have some thinking/bargaining to do. Please continue to either talk me into or out of this amp.

No worries. Only reason I mentioned cash is that the WIIO is quite rare (much more so than a '73 Twin), and well worth hanging on to if you possibly can.That said, I hear they're doing a production run of the WIIO this year, so if you're in need of an amp you might as well just go for it.

There's a good chance you'll like the Twin but if you don't, at least you're up in the 'trading zone' where you should no problems swapping for a Boogie, Marshall or whatever takes your fancy.
Quote by kyle62
No worries. Only reason I mentioned cash is that the WIIO is quite rare (much more so than a '73 Twin), and well worth hanging on to if you possibly can.That said, I hear they're doing a production run of the WIIO this year, so if you're in need of an amp you might as well just go for it.

The production run of the WIIO hasn't been confirmed as 100% sure yet. Nic just announced that to try to curb the price of the 100. He said that he'd love to do it given the chance but that as of right now, too much is going on to release it. And if he does give it a green light, it'll be voiced differently.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by kyle62

There's a good chance you'll like the Twin but if you don't, at least you're up in the 'trading zone' where you should no problems swapping for a Boogie, Marshall or whatever takes your fancy.

This is what I was hoping for.

I have counter offered without the wiio but like you said I'm sure that is what he's most likely after. I hate to get rid of the WIIO at all because I keep thinking that it may be worth alot later on in life. Even with the production model I'm sure nic will do something to honor the original 100. I know it has been said that the production model will be low gain compared to the initial run. Whether or not it's desirability increases in the future has yet to unfold.

EDIT:
Also here are some more pics he sent. Looks to be in pretty good shape from what I can tell.

Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Jan 9, 2010,
Yeah, those pics look better than the first one. Like I said, I'm a vintage Fender lover so I would probably find a way to make the deal and keep the WIIO. Like kyle62 said you'll most likely have a better bargaining chip down the road if you want something else. You can't truly emulate something from 1973 like the original. I've owned 60's and 70's Fender amps and nothing compares in my book.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Jan 9, 2010,
Hell, just trade it (without the WIIO) and sell off the Fender for a profit if you don't like it. I mean your Crate + Spider you could probably sell for only...USD$500 max? You could probably sell a 1973 Fender Silverface Twin Reverb for more than that.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I would do it if it were me. In the right hands, Fender Twin Reverbs can crank out some awesome tones. As far as versatility, it should be great for anything from blues to hard rock (with a good OD).
73 isnt really a desired year for a collector. so its real value is in its tone. now some will argue that fender was trying to pinch too much headroom out of the amp snd the circuit was too trebly ice picky harsh. others will say who cares, it sounds eargasmic. still others will say pop a 5751 in v1 and rock thst bitch...

which guy are you? the amp is worth $550 imo. good luck.

edut: sorry about my crap spelling. i drooled the whole way here wearing a helmet apparently on my short bus...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 9, 2010,
Buy buy buy buy buy...oh I mean tarde trade trade trade
Control your destiny.
get it and then get it modws to BF specs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
There is noone around me that could mod it blackface specs. Not that I know of anyway. I know there aren't any local techs/shops. I'm trying to work something out with him though.
I really just wouldn't do it if he insists on the WIIO. Like Greg said, the Twin isn't really worth that much and there are plenty of them. The mod to BF specs isn't that complicated, any decent tech should have no problem. A tech here does them on a regular basis and typically has a one day turn around on them if there aren't a lot of other amps.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I really just wouldn't do it if he insists on the WIIO. Like Greg said, the Twin isn't really worth that much and there are plenty of them. The mod to BF specs isn't that complicated, any decent tech should have no problem. A tech here does them on a regular basis and typically has a one day turn around on them if there aren't a lot of other amps.

I'm not gonna give all three for the amp. I told him if the WIIO is what he's interested in he can make me an offer on it. The mod may not be to difficult. The difficulty lies in finding someone to do it around where I live.
Do you have any guitar stores around you? Most decent ones have a competent tech.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by CrackTheSkye
There is noone around me that could mod it blackface specs. Not that I know of anyway. I know there aren't any local techs/shops. I'm trying to work something out with him though.

I thought you said you were looking at the nashville CL. there should be no shortage of guitar techs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by mmolteratx
Do you have any guitar stores around you? Most decent ones have a competent tech.

Guitar center is the only one within an hour away.

Quote by Jhachey22
I thought you said you were looking at the nashville CL. there should be no shortage of guitar techs.

Nashville is about 4 hours away. I was looking at nashville cl but only to meet someone halfway.

I won't be trading anyway. He only wants the crate, wiio, spider for the twin.
Quote by CrackTheSkye
Guitar center is the only one within an hour away.

Nashville is about 4 hours away. I was looking at nashville cl but only to meet someone halfway.

I won't be trading anyway. He only wants the crate, wiio, spider for the twin.

Oh, I see.

yeah, it's kind of a rip off for you. i would say the two amps are about worth the same as a SF twin. hell, the WIIO alone will probably be worth it in a couple years
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 10, 2010,
See what everything is going for on eBay these days - that's the easiest way to see if it's an even trade.

Play it first. Some of these MV Twins sound good, some of them are rubbish.

You'll definitely need to get your distortion from pedals (or a little bitty amp to pair with it) - overdrive one of these with just gain boost, and you'll be loud enough to get tossed out of the venue (and/or beaten by the mixperson).

Have the ground switch "death cap" removed and have a three-wire (grounded) power cord put on it.
Value wise, I think you're probably getting ripped off, if you go for it, just because of what the WIIO can bring.

If you want a silverface Fender that badly, be patient. They pop up pretty regularly on the Nashville CL.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Page 1 of 2