I could never understand the differences between the different kinds of bridges.

Tune-O-Matic W/Stop Tailpiece
What does that mean? Is there any way that could support a tremelo arm??
Last edited by s-a-t-r-i-a-n-i at Jan 8, 2010,
No, you need a tremolo bridge for that. A tune o matic bridge with stopbar looks like this

and a common tremolo, the Floyd Rose, looks like this
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Jan 8, 2010,
You can have a Tune-O-Matic bridge but instead of a stoptail you can have a Bigsby tremolo.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
A bridge doesn't ''support'' a tremolo arm. The arm is just the bar you use to manipulate a vibrato bridge (tremolo is actually a different effect altogether; vibrato is the correct name for these things). A Tune-o-Matic and stopbar bridge is not a vibrato bridge; no, it won't work. There are certainvibrato bridges you can get which replace a TOM/Stopbar (i.e. you remove the existing bridge and replace it entirely with the new vibrato bridge which attaches to the same mountings), but these are generally crap (the best one is the Stetsbar, and even that is a useless waste of money).

Quote by Chris Schementi
You can have a Tune-O-Matic bridge but instead of a stoptail you can have a Bigsby tremolo.
This is true, however bear in mind that a Bigsby vibrato has nowhere near the range or tuning stability of a Floyd Rose, or even a Strat style vibrato. It does however tend to keep the guitar's original sustain and tone better.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have tried out the Stetsbar and IMO it's a great way to add a trem without hurting the originality of a guitar. A Stetsbar replaces the stop bar not the TOM Bridge. I think Kahler made a similar product but I forget what is was called. Replacing the TOM with a bridge with roller saddles helps as well. Any time you add parts to a guitar it's always smart to hold on to the original parts this way you can go back and put the original parts back on and sell the guitar as original sell the after market parts for a little extra dough.

When I was collecting Gibsons I came across a lot of Les Pauls and other Gibsons that were ruined by adding after market (non original) trems. Now if you really want a guitar with a trem it's best if you seek out and buy a guitar that is all original rather than mod it. The value of a vintage Gibson was cut 60% when it was modded with after market parts.

Quote by MrFlibble
(tremolo is actually a different effect altogether; vibrato is the correct name for these things)

Depends on whether you're going by the actual name or the effect. A good deal of the modern ones are patented as tremolos -- it's a (finger quote) tradition that Leo Fender started. What they do is definitely vibrato though.

Aside from what these guys have all said, I think I saw some fellow's original design vibrato bridge that had a big rubber(or rubberalike) stopper on it instead of using spring in the back of the guitar. From looking at it, it probably would have worked with a TOM style if you really wanted to do it.
I thought it was kind of a cool design even if it wasn't too practical.
IMO, the only option for really big bar squeals with an LP (that doesn't involve changing the instrument's tone a ton) is the Kahler. It requires routing, but it mounts on the tailpiece studs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.