Hey, I'm currently micing up the amp in my sig with a Sannheiser E609 through an M-Audio Fast Track MKII.

I know it's not the best setup, but I feel my recordings should sound better.

Here's a quick recording of an early version of one of my songs for reference:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Scopic/music/all/play766685

The intro sounds pretty good imo, but the chord progression sounds very dirty (even though it's on the same exact amp setting as the intro) and the solo sounds like a whining baby.

I know a solid state modeling amp won't be the best for recording, but it should still sound better than that right?

I'm using Reaper and I'm very new at it, what could I tweak for a fatter lead tone and cleaner sounding chords?

Thanks and sorry if there's a thread for this already.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Well without even listening to the track, here's my suggestion. You need to change your settings! Don't record the whole song with one sound, don't be afraid to change it up, especially if one part is a guitar solo and another is a clean chord strumming part.

Also, double track your rhythm guitars, they come out much fuller that way. At least that's what I hear around these parts.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Have you used any post processing?

Use a compressor and an EQ ALWAYS! Just check out some of the presets REAPER has on the reacomp and reEQ plugins. It'll be WAY better.
Just try some different things. For rhythms,some people track a really distorted track, then layer a nice clean track over it for clarity. You could try a bass-heavy track layered with a track heavy in high-end. Definitely make sure there is no dirt at all if your recording a clean part. And record the solos and different parts separately, so you get the sounds you want. You can piece em together in Audacity, or whatever your using.
mic placement will be everything.. having a good sound out of the amp will help too obviously. but placement, more than anything, will decide how good or bad your tone will sound.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Thanks for the replies. I suppose it's really a matter of trial and error.

I'll keep messing around with my settings, try some overdubs, mic placement, etc.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

Also, eventually add a bass. You'll get that low end you'll need to make the recording more full
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Also, eventually add a bass. You'll get that low end you'll need to make the recording more full

And for once, I'm not going to argue with you! This is a really important suggestion, especially if you're playing low-heavy music like metal etc.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
And for once, I'm not going to argue with you! This is a really important suggestion, especially if you're playing low-heavy music like metal etc.

Heh, finally we agree on something :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by enselmis

Use a compressor and an EQ ALWAYS! Just check out some of the presets REAPER has on the reacomp and reEQ plugins. It'll be WAY better.

EQ ALWAYS?

i understand that a lot of us here have pretty crappy gear and will need EQ most of the time, but the goal is to get the amp's sound on to tape (unless you hate your amp sound). you SHOULD be able to get that without too much trouble with proper mics in the right places.

any kind of processing should only be used if it's needed. capturing a good source well is loads better than capturing an average source and tweaking it into being satisfactory.

compressor? much more likely to be needed, unless you're not going for conventional sounds in your recordings.
Aiming the mic to the center of one speaker will help you get a solo tone easier...correct me if i'm wrong.
Quote by enselmis

I very rarely compress guitars, but I like dynamics - distorted guitars especially hardly ever need compression, and when they do, it's a really light touch - you can barely even hear the difference in a mix. As for EQ, I prefer to get the sound I want at source (mic choice, placement & amp tone) rather than trying (often in vain) to sort things out later.

Quote by GisleAune
Aiming the mic to the center of one speaker will help you get a solo tone easier...correct me if i'm wrong.

The solo will cut through more, but I often find this sound too harsh. I usually have the mic between the speaker's dust cap & cone as a starting point, and I don't usually have to move it more than an inch or so either way.

As for advice - the intro tone sounds fine, but when you start playing harder in the chordy section it gets a little messy, try backing off your gain a little more & boost the master level to compensate. For the solo, you'll probably want a little less treble & a bit more bass on the amp (but not too much), and move the mic an inch or two towards the outside of the speaker from wherever you did have it. I assume because you have the 609 it's hanging over the top of the amp & against the grille? If not, put it right against the grille.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Wow, great advice. Thank you.

I'll experiment with it later and see how it turns out.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30