Hi, I currently have an ibanez rg prestige, but its getting quite old and worn out so i plan to buy a new guitar. I have been looking at purchasing a jap made ESP Edwards ECY165, but i am unsure of the general quality of Edwards guiatrs. How are they compared to ibanez's?

They seem incredibly good value for money, so just wanted someone to confirm the quality level of them before I order one,

Thanks
RG's & Mesa's
Worn out? What do you mean? Guitars generally don't get worn out.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
How has your ibanez been worn out?

And edwards have good qualities
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Let's put it like this.
Edwards > LTD-1000 Deluxe Series

And those are damn nice guitars.
I don't know how it stacks up to a Prestige though, the only one I've ever played was an AMAZING LACS S-7 Prestige my old guitar teacher has
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
So how exactly is it worn out?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My RG550 is 15 years old and isn't remotely close to being "worn out".

Edwarsd guitars are great, no quality issues to worry about.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
just bear in mind, edwardses aren't 100% made in japan, i think they're made in china and assembled in japan.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just bear in mind, edwardses aren't 100% made in japan, i think they're made in china and assembled in japan.

You sure it was Edwards and not Tokai? Maybe they both do.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

i *think* the tokais labelled as MIJ are 100% MIJ. As far as i'm aware, Edwardses aren't 100% MIJ (and I know that my edwards isn't labelled "made in japan", though I have seen at least one which was).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hah. Just checked mine. I never noticed the lack of a MIJ stamp before. Well, I've owned my Edwards for 4 years now and the only real complaint I have is the scratchy pots - other than that, the guitar itself is put together superbly. No joke. The build quality is excellent. It's a shame I just can't get along with the neck.
oh yeah, they're still very nice guitars, I just don't like how cagey ESP are about them. And not even cagey, certainly for a while they (or at least, edwards dealers) were claiming they were MIJ.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So just to confirm, all Edwards guiatrs are now made in China?
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
So just to confirm, all Edwards guiatrs are now made in China?

To a certain extent I can't remember if the painting was done in China as well or not but final set up was in Japan. But yes primarily it's done in China.
yeah, i think so.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/43888-edwards-guitars-whole-story-more.html

as far as i can remember, some people on the tokai forum emailed esp in japan, and got a similar answer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i think so.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/43888-edwards-guitars-whole-story-more.html

as far as i can remember, some people on the tokai forum emailed esp in japan, and got a similar answer.
As far as I know, the raw machining (CNC) are done in China; but, the finishing, electronics, binding, assembly (neck to body) are still done in Saitama, Japan - this according to the shop I bought my Edwards from in Japan.

IpponEdit: Re-read the thread which has been updated. The finishing and other stuff are still done in Japan. Also, check out post #30.

Last edited by Ippon at Jan 11, 2010,
yeah, but i think i heard recently (could be wrong) that they were doing more and more of it in china to save money.

lol at post 30, i've seen that before
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^^ if i remember correctly i read something in one of the ESP brand brochures that everything except the electronics are done in china, so its sorta like epiphone elitists where everythings assembled overseas and wired in the US, ill have to look tommorow my uncle still has the pamplet in his office
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
^^^ if i remember correctly i read something in one of the ESP brand brochures that everything except the electronics are done in china, so its sorta like epiphone elitists where everything's assembled overseas and wired in the US, ill have to look tomorrow my uncle still has the pamphlet in his office

I'm just gonna correct this.

Epiphone Elitists were made entirely in Japan, wiring included. Does this make them inferior to a US-made gibson? Nah, not really; they were a far better value, anyhow.

I honestly don't know much about Edwards - but everything I've heard about them says they're top-notch value.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'm just gonna correct this.

Epiphone Elitists were made entirely in Japan, wiring included. Does this make them inferior to a US-made gibson? Nah, not really; they were a far better value, anyhow.

I honestly don't know much about Edwards - but everything I've heard about them says they're top-notch value.

People sometimes get confused because the Elitists had Gibson USA PUs in them.
I just checked an Edwards on the Japanese site and if they're made in China and assembled in Japan I'd question the vlaue. The list price was over 1700.00 USD!
Moving on.....
bear in mind, though, that the exchange rate has gone to crap for both the pound sterling, and the US dollar, over the last couple of years against the yen. I assume the euro fell a bit too. At the exchange rate a couple of years ago, edwardses were very good value indeed. They're not great value at the moment, certainly in the UK you could pick up a tokai for less, and they're 100% MIJ. Plus you can try them first, as stores here stock them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KenG
People sometimes get confused because the Elitists had Gibson USA PUs in them.
I just checked an Edwards on the Japanese site and if they're made in China and assembled in Japan I'd question the vlaue. The list price was over 1700.00 USD!

Final pricing drops about 40,000yen when you buy in store and even then depending on where you shop you could get an extreme bargain. But these pretty much are like the real only cheap ESP related guitars without going grassroots. They (Japan) don't have your LTD or ESP SS line so in terms of ESP related products they'll get grassroots then to a few LTD signature guitars to Edwards guitars and then to ESP original series so while it may seem to be a bit too high priced it's relatively priced within the expected range.