Hey guys, I've decided it's time to buy myself a decent noise gate , after doing some research, I've narrowed my sights down to the ISP Decimator.
Although, there's a more expensive model named the ISP Decimator G-String.

Not sure what the differences are, but if this helps, the guitar I'm using is a Shecter Hellraiser C-1, and my amp is a Bugera 6262 212 combo. And yeah, I play stuff like Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, IKTPQ, BFMV and so on.

So should I go for the cheaper Decimator? Or is the extra money worth being spent on the G-String?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT- I play in Drop B, Drop C and so on, if that gives you any needed information.
Last edited by Mopy at Jan 9, 2010,
The difference between the Decimator and the G-String is that the G-String has alternate inputs so you can run it in both your effects loop and before the amp itself.

It depends on your needs, and where you think the noise is really coming from. If you want to be thorough and can afford to spring on the G-String, I'd go for it.

Alternatively, I've heard that you could get a Boss NS-2 and use the X method to get great noise gating going on. Though I'm not experienced with it, so I can't comment.

I've got a Decimator, but haven't seen the effects on my rig much. However, your amp may very well need one.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
The difference between the Decimator and the G-String is that the G-String has alternate inputs so you can run it in both your effects loop and before the amp itself.

It depends on your needs, and where you think the noise is really coming from. If you want to be thorough and can afford to spring on the G-String, I'd go for it.

Alternatively, I've heard that you could get a Boss NS-2 and use the X method to get great noise gating going on. Though I'm not experienced with it, so I can't comment.

I've got a Decimator, but haven't seen the effects on my rig much. However, your amp may very well need one.

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll also be looking into getting a Keeley TS808, if that should make the G-String a better option?
As for my amp needing a gate, YES I need one. Hahaha.
The Keeley doesn't make all that much of a difference as to whether you'd need a G-String or not.

And if you need a gate, then I'd say give the G-String a shot, given the music you're playing and the nature of the 6262.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
The Keeley doesn't make all that much of a difference as to whether you'd need a G-String or not.

And if you need a gate, then I'd say give the G-String a shot, given the music you're playing and the nature of the 6262.

So the G-String provides a stronger and more reliable gate? I've got no experience with noise gates by the way, I just want something that gets the job done.
It appears to be the same circuitry as the regular Decimator, but the G-String basically allows you to have a second gate at the same time; putting it before your amp AND in your effects loop, allowing noise before the amp AND noise coming out of the amp (usually because of high gain) to be cut.

Think of it as 2 gates in one box, controlled by one knob.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Basically if you plan on ever running effects (which it's safe to say you will) the G-String is the way to go. Not only does it allow you to cut noise from the effects loop but it has the tighter suppression of the Pro Rack G models.
Bump:

Has anyone had any base for comparison between the NS-2 (setup in the X) and the 2 decimators?

My NS-2 seems like it's starting to die, so I'd like to begin looking into a new gate.
All the people I've spoken to who've tried both unanimously agree that the Decimator's are better in nearly every respect.
Decimators are way better. I hear tone loss from an NS2, none from the ISP.

If you turn the volume off on your guitar, and still hear noise from your amp, then you want to run the gate in the effects loop most likely. If you want to prevent noise from your guitar and any pedals you have infront of your amp, you want to run the gate before your amps input.

If you want to run it in both places, get the G-String because it does both.

It is an excellent pedal, I love mine.
/rig
Quote by Mopy
So the G-String provides a stronger and more reliable gate? I've got no experience with noise gates by the way, I just want something that gets the job done.

I have a 6262 and a decimator and i am happy with it. gets the job done. If you got the extra money for the g string i suppose get it.

to be honest i dont regret not shelling out the extra 90 bucks for the g string.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
The ISP doesnt hurt tone, but it certainly "Decimates" sustain. The key is to tweak it to where you think it works best getting rid of the noise, then backing off just a touch to keep your sustain. I havent been super happy with mine though.
The non-G version will do it's job really. I didn't wanna spend the extra cash and i'm very happy with it.

I've lost little to no sustain throughout the course of using the ISP Decimator, Just turn the knob up until you reach silence and you should be fine. It's pretty touchy but once you get it, it's perfect i'd say
IMO If your main concern is just the noise/feedback from your guitar then the normal version will be fine. The G-String is really usefull for cutting out preamp hiss from your amp, so If thats bearable on your amp, save yourself some money and get the normal one.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
I use a lot of effects... so I currently use my NS-2 (in X formation) to keep it silent when the pedals are on (trem, chorus, and fuzz factory being the biggest culprits). I don't care about amp hiss I just want my pedal board to be silent when it's supposed to be