Currently I grip the pick with three fingers (thumb, index, middle). I've always done this and it has seemed to work for me until recently. I notice watching other guitar players it seems like most everyone uses just the thumb and index finger to hold the pick.

I have been having trouble with some advanced techniques like adding taps into sweeps and I'm wondering: is my grip on the guitar pick the reason? Is the way I'm holding the pick keeping me from improving? I know switching won't be easy so that's why I'm asking.
Yes. Switch it to just thumb and index and I guarantee in a week you'll see huge improvement because I did the same thing and saw more flexibility and dexterity.
Last edited by tenfold at Jan 9, 2010,
Im soryy but it isnt. Just pratise more. I used thumb, pointer, and mid finger for all my playing and sweeps and I can do sweeps rather well. The way your fingers are dosnt matter for sweeping unless your fingers touch the string, its just the syncing of each hand and plus sweeping is just hard anyways lol
EDIT: Yeah i used to drive myself crazy thinking if I should retrace everything because I held it differently...but It turned out good but everyone is different
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Last edited by bloodlust_panda at Jan 9, 2010,
Yes, it'll reduce your tension which will always improve you in some way. Also, you can 7 finger tap without ditching your pick.
Quote by Avedas
Yes, it'll reduce your tension which will always improve you in some way. Also, you can 7 finger tap without ditching your pick.

That's a big assumption right there...

I'd still suggest that TS changes his grip anyway because of the tapping and hybrid picking thing but serious Avedas, big assumption
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Not really. The only reason you'd say that is if you've never held it with 3 fingers.
I know after I changed to 2 fingers, it helped my hand be more relaxed and be able to move around more freely.
Quote by tenfold
Not really. The only reason you'd say that is if you've never held it with 3 fingers.
I know after I changed to 2 fingers, it helped my hand be more relaxed and be able to move around more freely.

And you only say it because that's how it worked for you, either way it's a big assumption.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
And you only say it because that's how it worked for you, either way it's a big assumption.

I've seen several same testimonials from people who did the same thing.
It's general science. The less fingers you need with tension in them holding a pick, the less tense your hand will be.
That middle finger comes in really handy, especially when you want to throw a tap into a sweep (I'm working on that one also). I used to hold the pick like you but changed about two years ago, never looked back since.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i also hold the pick with 3 fingers, but im not quite at the stage where im sweep tapping lol. not considering what has been said about hybrid picking etc. in this thread, is it really worth losing that extra grip for just a slight decrease in hand tension? i havent played much live but ive noticed when i do that my hands get kinda sweaty and always thought id be stuffed if i was only using my thumb and index finger to hold the pick.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I'd still suggest that TS changes his grip anyway because of the tapping and hybrid picking thing but serious Avedas, big assumption

Most things posted here are big assumptions because we can't see what he's doing and we're not him, so we can't feel it.
Quote by Avedas

Most things posted here are big assumptions because we can't see what he's doing and we're not him, so we can't feel it.

That's why I never make sweeping statements like "this WILL reduce YOUR tension"

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's why I never make sweeping statements like "this WILL reduce YOUR tension"

Maybe so, but it'll cure AIDS!
Quote by munkymanmatt
i also hold the pick with 3 fingers, but im not quite at the stage where im sweep tapping lol. not considering what has been said about hybrid picking etc. in this thread, is it really worth losing that extra grip for just a slight decrease in hand tension? i havent played much live but ive noticed when i do that my hands get kinda sweaty and always thought id be stuffed if i was only using my thumb and index finger to hold the pick.

You don't lose grip. Why don't you try it out for a while and truly compare.
Well thanks for all the input guys. Based on what you guys have said I will probably switch to a two finger grip. It makes sense especially with sweep tapping that it would be easier to tap with my middle finger (since it would be free now) rather than my ring finger. I'll probably have to use a heavier pick though won't I?
You don't have to. It's all about preference with picks. Heavier picks are easier to speed pick with but have a different sound (which personally I like but it's up to you, try out some heavy and light ones and decide).
i most certainly do, i keep dropping it when i hold it with just a finger and thumb...
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Three fingers on the pick is probably something you should change for hybriding and tapping. Adversely, I'm sure I've seen Frank Zappa hold with three fingers -- I guess, against that, I've never seen Dweezil do it.

I mean, 'famous person does it' generally isn't the best argument around here, but it does prove that it won't make your hand fall off if you're doing it properly.
Quote by tenfold

I second this. I learned from experience in this area. I do believe that it helps.
Quote by tenfold
Yes. Switch it to just thumb and index and I guarantee in a week you'll see huge improvement because I did the same thing and saw more flexibility and dexterity.

Switch to Thumb and Index. Free's up your middle fore sweep taps.

I had to switch too when I started sweeping.
Another quick semi related question
For all of you that are badass enough to sweep multifinger tap, do you use your middle finger and then extend that with your ring and pinky?

Aaron
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm