Hey all,
I cleaned up on college bowl games this year and won $1000 which I wanted to use (partially) to buy a new amp. I'm working off of a "superbad" 30 watt fender combo amp that just doesn't fly... it simply doesn't produce sound.

I've always wanted a Marshall stack, and was looking into the half-stack models for ~$600 which looked decent. Then, I heard that you'd rather have the Line 6 Spider half-stack... I'm just getting confused in that category.

The next swing was when I learned both of these were "solid state" and that "tube" were much more warm sounding and preferable... but I've been unable to find any that match my budget. Perhaps I should just go for a nice combo amp and give up the dream of owning a stack? I definitely prefer units that are easy to move (wheels!) and don't take up the entire room.

What do you all think? Say I have around $500-700 to spend on an amp, what would you buy... and why!! Thanks for the help, much obliged :peace:
My Gear:
- Schecter S-1 Diamond Series w/ Duncan pickups
- Marshall JCM 900 Half-Stack
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Recording: SM58, SM57, M-Audio "AudioBuddy"
"You've Got to Belong To It"
Well, if you prefer easy to move, non room-taking up amps, go for a combo. If you really want Marshall, look up a JCM 800 on sites like eBay and Craigslist. Right now there's a couple of JCMs on eBay for under $800.
like alex vik said depending on the music u like tho. I personally would get a Marshall Jcm800 since u like marshalls theyre badass amps i just recently bought one for 700 dollars on craigslist
Im completely making this up because of your avatar lol :

a used JCM900/800 stack.
all i can think of.
Classical Guitarist
go for a blackstar
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
I've heard of blackstar but I just don't trust the brand... how do you like your HT-5?

I feel like $700 off of craigslist is a bit too much of an unnecessary risk, I may have struck NCAA gold but I am still a student, eh?

Guessing that I play heavy stuff is definitely right, er at least that's what I'll be using the amp for. I'm actually into pretty much everything, including a LOT of country, but I just play my acoustic w/ no amp for any of that regardless. Let's go off of the assumption that I want an amp that can get me from Santana to Slayer and back around
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Quote by jrrwizard
I've heard of blackstar but I just don't trust the brand... how do you like your HT-5?

I feel like $700 off of craigslist is a bit too much of an unnecessary risk, I may have struck NCAA gold but I am still a student, eh?

Guessing that I play heavy stuff is definitely right, er at least that's what I'll be using the amp for. I'm actually into pretty much everything, including a LOT of country, but I just play my acoustic w/ no amp for any of that regardless. Let's go off of the assumption that I want an amp that can get me from Santana to Slayer and back around

do you ever play with a drummer?
what guitars do you use?
nearest major metro?
Quote by jrrwizard

Blackstar is a terrific brand. Trust 'em!

$700 on craigslist will get you SO much better than $700 in GC or other instrument stores.

How heavy do you get? E.g. what's the heaviest band you want to achieve?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Metro would normally be an option, but I'm at school w/ no car so it's going to have to be shipped. Heaviest I would get is Pantera-level distortion, but I don't want an amp that can't turn down the gain... you know?
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Oh and what about the Marshall MG100HDFX Half Stack?

I tried the head out (albeit with a not-so-spectacular cabinet) @ GC this afternoon and didn't really care for it... but then again it takes time to understand what those things can do and for all I know I was misusing it.
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Quote by jrrwizard
Metro would normally be an option, but I'm at school w/ no car so it's going to have to be shipped. Heaviest I would get is Pantera-level distortion, but I don't want an amp that can't turn down the gain... you know?

try bugeras. thats all i can say.
Classical Guitarist
i had a marshall mg100hdfx half stack before my jcm 800 i got the mg for $600 at the time and its not that bad of an amp you could get a good amount of distortion off of it for metallica and for santana i used it for classic rock but for $100 more for the jcm 800 is wayy wayy worth it
Usually no drummer, playing on a Schecter (in my sig).
I'm really looking HOT into the bugeras... looks like people are raging!
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

xxx or jsx combo... used... spend $500 or abouts. or go new bugera 333xl, get the extended warranty. actually a vox ac50 combo would work well too. sick gain pig imo.

your call.
What do you think of the Bugera 6260?
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Bugera-6260-All-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Head.html

I'd either go with that or the combo 333XL:
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Bugera-333XL-120-Watt-2x12-3-Channel-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier.html

The Peavy JSX looks to be $800+ even on Ebay, easily over $1,000 retail and out of my price range. I'm not playing gigs constantly or anything like that.
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Last edited by jrrwizard at Jan 9, 2010,
You can get a bugera 6262 half stack brand new for 800. best deal your gonna get for the money without looking into used stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
I see you own a 6262 and a 333, how do you like them and how do they compare? Also, what's the difference b/t the 6262 and the 6260?
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Quote by jrrwizard

I recommend the half stack. The bugera combos don't sound as good due them being open back. If you always wanted a half stack go get one. I will own nothing less.

anyways the 6260 is very similar to the 6262 but it doesn't have the seperate eq for each channel the 6262 has. The 333xl is awesome too. I have a 333 though which is similar but alil different.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Bugera 1990 or a used JCM800/900. You're not going to get a good brand new stack (other than Bugera or Jet City) in your price range, personally I'd be looking at 50W combos.
Quote by jrrwizard
Hey all,
I cleaned up on college bowl games this year and won $1000 which I wanted to use (partially) to buy a new amp. I'm working off of a "superbad" 30 watt fender combo amp that just doesn't fly... it simply doesn't produce sound.

I've always wanted a Marshall stack, and was looking into the half-stack models for ~$600 which looked decent. Then, I heard that you'd rather have the Line 6 Spider half-stack... I'm just getting confused in that category.

The next swing was when I learned both of these were "solid state" and that "tube" were much more warm sounding and preferable... but I've been unable to find any that match my budget. Perhaps I should just go for a nice combo amp and give up the dream of owning a stack? I definitely prefer units that are easy to move (wheels!) and don't take up the entire room.

What do you all think? Say I have around $500-700 to spend on an amp, what would you buy... and why!! Thanks for the help, much obliged :peace:

first rule about amp shopping
1. avoid all solid state marshalls and line 6 spiders.

thats all you need to know.

secondly, go used on an amp. what style of music do you play? if you lean towards hard rock/metal you could easily get a Marshall JCM800 for that price.

Quote by jrrwizard
Oh and what about the Marshall MG100HDFX Half Stack?

I tried the head out (albeit with a not-so-spectacular cabinet) @ GC this afternoon and didn't really care for it... but then again it takes time to understand what those things can do and for all I know I was misusing it.

it is an absolutely horrificly bad amp. and 99 out of every 100 users on this site will tell you the same thing. the mg is an embarrassment to the marshall name. its the only amp series i know of that actually gets WORSE as the wattage increases. stay FAAAAR away from those. you'd have to be crazy to spend that kind of money on that amp just because its a stack. a 30 watt tube amp would completely drown it out AND sound 10000x better

after you've tasted tube, solid state just sounds awful
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by kyle62
Bugera 1990 or a used JCM800/900. You're not going to get a good brand new stack (other than Bugera or Jet City) in your price range, personally I'd be looking at 50W combos.

Couple UG members been having problems with the 1990's. I would stay away from them for now till they prove reliable.

Yea that Marshall mg stack is crap for your money. Trust the members of UG.

Buy once if you can (MG Stack would be PITA to sell). Why drop 5 billz on a crappy solid state stack when you can totally have something nice for 7-1000 bucks. New/used market.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Last edited by ChuggyMcBr00tlz at Jan 9, 2010,
sell ya a used xxx combo for $600

or a 333xl which is almost an clone of it new for about the same new... get teh warranty...

or get an ac50 for $800 new... i like the ac50 can you tell?
Get a Jet City amp, they sound sick for the price.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
What do you all think of this deal: http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Randall-Powerhouse-Half-Stack-with-Crate-Cabinet.html

It's a great Randall RG150DG3 Head, and a Crate FW412A Speaker Cabinet

Good deal? Or useless waste of cash?
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

^eh...head is decent enough. Cab is terrible.

EDIT: did you ever give us a location??? You can probably score a great rig off your local CL if you tell us what city you live close to.
Ugh, just heard that the thing is discontinued because it doesn't make the cut... my looking will continue I suppose. I live in the DC area, but again... need something shipped.
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

I think I'm going to go for the Bugera 6260 (~$500) with matching 4x12 cabinet (~$250) for a $750 package deal on a great looking half stack. Any other suggestions/comments before I lock it in? Thanks so much for all of the help!!!
My Gear:
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Currently Browsing Your Craigslist!!!!
youll save alot of money if you buy used man!!! more money for school!!!

Peavey Windsor Head $200 Good Head

Peavey XXX's Really Good Amps and they are combos. they are at a good price too.

Avatar 4x12 Cab For Extremely Cheap

Carvin X100 Tube Head IMO this is a pretty good head. not sure if other people will agree..... $375

Marshall JCM2000 really good head. $600

thats all i found lol. Your area Sux dude. LMAO
maybe somebody else will find something better.
but Egh. IDK

Good luck tho.
Classical Guitarist
Last edited by Zep_shizzle at Jan 10, 2010,
I've been looking a lot at the same kind of amps as you.

The Bugeras sure are intresting and not that expensive but i've also heard a lot bad about the reliability.

Marshall Jcm series are very nice! A jcm 900 or 2000 should get you from clean to pretty heavy distortion.