OK fellow metal heads, I need some good advice here. I recently got rid of my Line6 Spider 3 75W and "bumped up" to my first tube amp. I grabbed a Blackheart Handsome Devil and matching cab. Now I knew going into this it wasn't a "metal" amp. I do appreciate what it is has to offer BUT I want a higher gain type sound. I am playing a stock Jackson DK2M. I also have a Digitech Hot Head pedal and an ancient Korg multipedal processor. The Korg sounds just like the Line 6, I do like the tone of the Digitech much better. The Korg and Line6 are far to "digital". I have read completely thru the Blackheart thread here at Ultimate Guitar. Now, I think I want a Boss MetalZone pedal and a delay of some type, I am also considering a Digitech RP or Boss ME20 multi effect although I am not entirely convinced either one will be to my satisfaction. My favorite bands and sounds are from Iron Maiden to Megadeth.

My question to you experienced players out there with this amp, what can I do to get a high gain metal tone from this amp?
a much better pedal..
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 4Dax
I recently got rid of my Line6 Spider 3 75W and "bumped up" to my first tube amp.

good choice
My Gear:
Peavey: 6505+
Bugera: 412h-bk
Schecter: C-1 Hellraiser
ISP: Decimator
Morley: Bad Horsie II
Boss: Hm-2
Quote by gregs1020
a much better pedal..

Which one? not a fanboy of the MetalZone? Or the Hothead? The HH I've had for years and it sounds much better than the Line6 or Korg. I just want a heavier sound. Even ran the HH in chain and tried to use the delay/reverb on the Korg and got closer to what i wanted. i admit i bought the HH before i knew crap about stompboxes but it does do a better job at distortion than the Korg that was made before most people on this board were born.
Quote by 4Dax

My question to you experienced players out there with this amp, what can I do to get a high gain metal tone from this amp?

Return it and go get a high gain tube amp. You'll be much happier and more creative. It flows better when you liking what you hearing.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by brutalmania
Get a really good eq and overdrive pedal dude

that is what great advice looks like...

or just get a new amp.

pedals are a matter of taste. like candy and cars... try a shitton...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Return it and go get a high gain tube amp. You'll be much happier and more creative. It flows better when you liking what you hearing.

+1,

If you can't return then consider an MXR 10-band EQ and an OD (e.g. Bad Monkey, TS9...)
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by Darkpagey
+1,

If you can't return then consider an MXR 10-band EQ and an OD (e.g. Bad Monkey, TS9...)

Yea right on i also use those two pedals also. They are good. mxr 10b eq and ts-9.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
I'm not sure that a simple boost will get this amp into mtal territory, I recommen a quality distortion box. Look into the Wampler Triple Wreck.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
I'm not sure that a simple boost will get this amp into mtal territory, I recommen a quality distortion box. Look into the Wampler Triple Wreck.

A quick Ebay check shows they are a spending piece. Maybe i shoulda held out for a different amp. I'm not good enough yet to justify a big money investment in an amp, maybe in a year or two.
How much gain do you want? I've been suggesting these a lot, but the Hardwire Pedals are excellent just straight from the clean channel, SC-2 for less gain/classic metal, and TL-2 for more than enough gain for pretty much anything.

Or you could use a tubescreamer type pedal to boost an already overdriven amp, whatever you like better.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Look for a Distortion pedal, but avoid Boss distortions, and generally stay away from anything that has "Metal" in the title. I know this sounds stupid, but these ones are generally cheap and no good. (I am not speaking for every single one, just the ones I have tried with "metal" in the name have been poor).

If you want something quality, you're going to have to spend a fair amount of money.

If you're interested on a delay, and you have a tight budget for it, go for a GFS Pro Delay (There are clips on my profile), fantastic pedal for the price. ( http://store.guitarfetish.com/prodeclviand.html )
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Heres a tip: you don't really need that much gain for metal (not as much as you'd think anyway). An overdrive pedal, such as the Hardwire CM-2 should be sufficient when combined with the distortion on your amp.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
It's not really the amount of gain you have, more the attack and tightness of the sound. I'd recommend getting an EQ and Overdrive, or a Distortion with onboard EQ.

MXR 10 Band + Bad Monkey

Radial ToneBone.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
It's not really the amount of gain you have, more the attack and tightness of the sound. I'd recommend getting an EQ and Overdrive, or a Distortion with onboard EQ.

MXR 10 Band + Bad Monkey

Radial ToneBone.

this dude knows what he's talking about. Also, **** with the EQ on your amp - personally I love mids even in br00tz tone, but most people would scoop the mids (treble and bass high, mids low).
It's definitely a big step up going to tube. Modeling amps sound like shit if one is doing anythings besides clean sounds at bedroom volume. And that's with the higher end ones. The cheap ones a completely worthless. I'm getting a used Bassman next month. After that, I doubt I'll ever use my Line 6 again.

I'm a fan of Big Muffs myself. I'm not sure if they're as extreme sounding as what you're looking for, but you can still get a surprising amount of dirt with them.
O)))))))))))))))))
Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate that and i will look into these options!
Quote by Sunn_O)))
It's definitely a big step up going to tube. Modeling amps sound like shit if one is doing anythings besides clean sounds at bedroom volume. And that's with the higher end ones. The cheap ones a completely worthless. I'm getting a used Bassman next month. After that, I doubt I'll ever use my Line 6 again.

Sorry, that's BS. There are some really good modelers out there that can sound almost as good or even better than tube amps. Amp modeling has made some very big steps the last few years. And it's a good thing, not a bad thing. It's about time we stepped away from ****ing tubes, they may sound good, but damnit they're ancient shitty tech.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Sorry, that's BS. There are some really good modelers out there that can sound almost as good or even better than tube amps. Amp modeling has made some very big steps the last few years. And it's a good thing, not a bad thing. It's about time we stepped away from ****ing tubes, they may sound good, but damnit they're ancient shitty tech.
Sorry, that's BS. Digital amps may have come a long way since they were first introduced, but they sound like crap at high volumes. The Spider Valve is decent, but that's because of the tube power section.
If you want to wank away quietly at the computer or in your bedroom, then go digital. If you want to play the guitar like it was meant to be, then warm up those tubes and rattle some windows with some real tube tone and power.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by Van Noord
Sorry, that's BS. Digital amps may have come a long way since they were first introduced, but the sound like crap at high volumes. The Spider Valve is decent, but that's because of the tube power section. If you want to wank away quietly at the computer or in your bedroom, then go digital. If you want to play the guitar like it was meant to be, then warm up those tubes and and rattle some windows with some real tube power.

I'm not talking about Spider Valves. I'm talking about stuff like Fractal Axe-FX. Even Digitech has a pretty good cheaper modeler with the GSP 1101.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I really hate to say this but you made a bad amp choice if you're looking for high gain tones.

I'd return it and get something with more balls.

Try a B-52 AT-112. I have one and it kicks ass at high gain tones and can still be dialed down for blues or rock, all for the same price of the Blackheart head, let alone whatever you paid for the cab.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Kanthras
I'm not talking about Spider Valves. I'm talking about stuff like Fractal Axe-FX. Even Digitech has a pretty good cheaper modeler with the GSP 1101.

Uh huh.

As good as the Axe-FX is, I'd still rather have multiple tube amps. If something on one of my heads acts up, all I need is a meter, soldering iron, and about 15 minutes to fix it.

I'll bet the fee for diagnosing and treating a problem with a modeler like the Fractal would run you at least half the original unit price and be a tremendous headache.

Amps are just like cars - older is definitely better from a troubleshooting and maintenance standpoint.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Uh huh.

As good as the Axe-FX is, I'd still rather have multiple tube amps. If something on one of my heads acts up, all I need is a meter, soldering iron, and about 15 minutes to fix it.

I'll bet the fee for diagnosing and treating a problem with a modeler like the Fractal would run you at least half the original unit price and be a tremendous headache.

Amps are just like cars - older is definitely better from a troubleshooting and maintenance standpoint.

That's a completely different argument and let's not get off topic any further..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Damage control demonizer or solid metal would do just what you need, bit pricey unless you can snag one secondhand somewhere.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by 4Dax

Buy a POD and run in into the FX return.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2