Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new guitar in order to play down tuned songs. I currently own a Ibanez RG4EXFM1 and it has a floyd rose so it's pretty much impossible for me to switch between standard and down tunings.

I want to be able to play songs from bands like In Flames, Bullet for my Valentine, and Trivium.

The guitar I am looking at is this : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Prophesy-EX-Electric-Guitar-104611124-i1386470.gc

Do you guys have any experience with it? I have looked at the ESP LTD EC-1000 but I dont really like the look of it compared to this one. I am going to try it out at guitar center tomorrow.

Also as a side note, what tuning should I get it set up to if I want to play songs of the above bands? I was thinking of C Standard but if I get it set up to that, will I be able to tune up to something like Drop D in order to play older trivium stuff?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by dNWaKE at Jan 9, 2010,
Epiphones aren't really known for being metal guitars, but i'm sure it plays the same

Check out some 7 strings from Schecter or ESP if you're looking to play Trivium, half their stuff is with 7 strings?
Quote by dNWaKE
I currently own a Ibanez RG4EXFM1 and it has a floyd rose so it's pretty much impossible for me to switch between standard and down tunings.

I don't own a guitar with a Floyd rose so I've never had to tune one, but it is really that much of a pain just to re-tune?
C Standard as your main to drop D would be a stretch.. Unless you used 11's. Probably would have more string breaks though. Thats 2 full steps up on all the strings besides the would be D string. Also if this guitar has the normal les paul scale length (24-3/4") it might not be the very best to downtune. The longer the length of the scale the more solid the tuning of the notes. I don't think it'd be that big of a deal but it is something i think about when looking for a guitar for lower tunings.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Last edited by dez_cole at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by dan_457
I don't own a guitar with a Floyd rose so I've never had to tune one, but it is really that much of a pain just to re-tune?

its a huge pain to tune from standard to such a low tuning and the strings would be floppy as hell
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Can anyone give any insight
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Supposedly they're good but I'd be a bit hesitant about the EMG pickups going through your cube. But aside from that if it's great and what you want then by all means go for the time of your life and play it but have you though about only just half blocking your floyd so you can still downtune all you want without needing to worry about balancing the bridge? The only set back with this is that you lose the ability to bend the notes up with your bridge. Or even invest in a device called the Tremol-no it basically blocks your floyd fully, half or can leave it to be fully floating.