I may be wrong but when we can make guitars out of plastic and metal like these aristides guitars and plexiglass like the dan armstrongs I can't help but feel as if woods on a guitar arent as important as they're made out to be. Obviously with reason like ply is unnaceptable but does anyone agree? Or atleast get where I'm coming from?
Discuss.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
It's one of those things that most people don't pick up on immediately. Later on you might realize that it can really affect the voicing that certain guitars have.

A double fat strat and a les paul with the exact same pickups will still sound different.
That loser shit's right out the window!
Last edited by Cgc1215 at Jan 9, 2010,
I get you, man.

But to me wood is pretty important. You see I have an SG and an RG. They both have a humbucker in the bridge, but the SG has much more "balls". The RG is more trebley while the SG can sound seemingly heavier at the same gain level.
the idea is that the pickups can only pick up sound from the string, not the wood. BUT the sound that goes down the bridge and into the wood can also go back up the bridge and affect how the string resonates.

I think it does make a difference, but only eric johnson needs to care
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The density and stiffness of the material (wood or something else) change the way the instrument reacts to vibrations. So, in the end, wood is just another material that can be used to build guitars, but very popular at that.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Hey guys...... Guitar made out of tiling like in a bathroom.

Think about that.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the idea is that the pickups can only pick up sound from the string, not the wood. BUT the sound that goes down the bridge and into the wood can also go back up the bridge and affect how the string resonates.

I think it does make a difference, but only eric johnson needs to care

My thoughts exactly.

But it makes a HUGE difference when you play the guitar without an amp.
It's one of the good ways to analize a guitar at a shop. I always start by playing a bit with the guitar unplugged, to hear the natural resonance of the body wood.
Good guitar wood usually has a warm, deep resonance.

But yeah, in the overall sound captured by the pickups that is reproduced by the amp, the wood influence should be pretty residual.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It doesnt make as much difference as the manufactures might make out, but if it tweaks your sound perfectly in the way you want it then the wood choice is a good thing.

plus plastic and metal guitars would be such a waste of materials.

Quote by Ekofu
Surely that would sound like shit

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Ekofu

Think about that.

I can imagine that sounding brighter than a tele's bridge pickup with the treble rolled right up and a flashlight being used as a plectrum
Last edited by t3l3caster at Jan 9, 2010,
Now that i think about it.
my bathroom does get the best acoustics.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by t3l3caster
I can imagine that sounding brighter than a tele's bridge pickup with the treble rolled right up

Neo-classical heaven.
Quote by Nameless742
Now that i think about it.
my bathroom does get the best acoustics.

This guy's got it.