hi,

i'm relatively new to the guitar scene so don't know much about the best accessories to grab, specifically effects pedals. i have a prs singlecut, marshall mg dfx 100 (it is a little more powerful than needed considering i play at home, but i got it at a good price) and boss dd7.

i've been listening to a lot of john mayer and wouldn't mind simulating a simlar tone if possible with either my rig or suggestions as to what i could buy (bare in mind i don't have a massive budget, probably around 100 quid at most).

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

njayj
for a good blues tone, im sorry to be the one to say this, but a new amp is what you need

maybe save up a bit more and try a cheaper fender amp. maybe a vibrochamp XD or a champ 600 with an overdrive, EQ and maybe a reverb
How much is a 100 quid in $s or euros ? and I like to see a pic of your singlecut if you have one. I love those guitars, I have one (pic´s in my profile). If you can afford a fender then go for it, great for blues those amps.
Quote by jaybals
for a good blues tone, im sorry to be the one to say this, but a new amp is what you need

maybe save up a bit more and try a cheaper fender amp. maybe a vibrochamp XD or a champ 600 with an overdrive, EQ and maybe a reverb

+3.14159

The PRS Singlecut is an awesome guitar, and you aren't making it justice with a Marshall MG100DFX.

The amps jaybals suggested are pretty good choices.

EDIT:
Quote by sstony
(...) singlecut (...) I love those guitars, I have one (pic´s in my profile).

sstony, your Singlecut is gorgeous, man!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by sstony
How much is a 100 quid in $s or euros ? and I like to see a pic of your singlecut if you have one. I love those guitars, I have one (pic´s in my profile). If you can afford a fender then go for it, great for blues those amps.
You can Google it easily you know. "100 pounds in USD". It's $160.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
If you save up for £210 you can get an ME70. I have one and it is well worth the money.
Quote by AntiG3
You can Google it easily you know. "100 pounds in USD". It's $160.

Nothing wrong with a little conversation now is it ?
i'm relatively new to the guitar scene so don't know much about the best accessories to grab, specifically effects pedals.

Don't waste money just buying pedals, I'm sorry to say you wont be able to get amazing tone through an mg. Don't bother trying loads of effects with an MG, you can't polish a turd. You should save up for and amp.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-ma50c-guitar-valve-amp-combo--67735
Or if you don't want to save up too much, try this.
http://www.imuso.co.uk/Amplifiers/Amplifiers-By-Instrument/Electric-Guitar-Amplifiers/9372-/Blackheart-BH5-112-Little-Giant-5-Watt-Electric-Guitar-Valve-Combo-Amplifier?utm_source=googleproduct
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
thanks for all the suggestions.

from the amp suggestions they seem to be at 5 watts, i know my watt value at 100 is probably overkill for home play, but the watt value, is that just down to how load the amplifier is or does it have some bearing on the quality?

also, is it worth me selling my current amp and maybe purchasing just a cabinet and then buying amp heads instead?
For blues a small tube combo for home use would be a lot more ideal than a 100 watt solid state rig.

Depending on what type of blues tone you are after, a nice Vox AC15 or Blues Jr would likely fit the bill well.

Having a nice PRS Single cut deserves a nice tube amp imo. Or you are selling your guitar and yourself short.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I agree with most people that posted, get a new amp. Seeing your budget, you'll have to save up. If you save just a little bit, you can get this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub10.htm

But if I were you, I'd save some more and get this http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_super_champ_xd.htm which is actually a pretty good amp. It'll get you going for some while, especially for some John Mayer tone. Next thing to get is an OD, probably a TS-9 is you're looking for those Mayer tones.
About your wattage question, no, wattage doesn't equal quality.
I'd suggest you save up and get a Valve Junior, Fender Super Champ XD, or maybe another small tube combo.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by njayj
thanks for all the suggestions.

from the amp suggestions they seem to be at 5 watts, i know my watt value at 100 is probably overkill for home play, but the watt value, is that just down to how load the amplifier is or does it have some bearing on the quality?

also, is it worth me selling my current amp and maybe purchasing just a cabinet and then buying amp heads instead?

Nah, watts have absolutely zero bearing on the quality of an amp - it's just a figure relating to power.

The MG isn't a great amp, it's big, loud and unspectacular and it's probably worst at blues-type tones because those are traditionally characterised by mild tube breakup...it's not out and out distortion but it's not clean either. Those sounds are the hardest ones to simulate and pretty much impossible for a typical analogue solid state amp...some of the modellers do a pretty got fist of it but they still struggle to replicate the dynamics and responsiveness of a tube amp.

Don't bother just buying a head as the cab isn't up to much either, if you're going to get a new amp then start from scratch. If you want a stop gap then you could *try* something like a Boss Blues Driver or Digitech Screaming Blues...don't buy a new one, look second hand (however, try a new one in a shop with the same amp ). They'll get you closer to the sound you want than the amp will, but if those sounds are what you want then long term you've really got the wrong amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 13, 2010,
sell your mg and buy a bugera v22 or v55
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
based on all that has been said, i feel i may have made a very bad choice when buying my marshell amp.

cheers for all the suggestions. i've got a lot of thinking to do. i'll go down to my local store and see if they have these amps in store and check them out.

thanks again for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

njayj
I got the same guitar as you and can get a really great blues tone with the neck pickup using a marshall TSL60 but they're probably too expensive. Tbh i think you should save up and maybe look at getting a small tube combo like a fender blues junior or something
Quote by daliksheppy
If you save up for £210 you can get an ME70. I have one and it is well worth the money.

a multi-fx into a marshall mg??? that's going to sound horrible.

TS, you aren't going to be able to get a mayer tone with any marshall amp (other than a bluesbreaker perhaps), let alone an MG.
Quote by hardrockerdave9
Don't waste money just buying pedals, I'm sorry to say you wont be able to get amazing tone through an mg. Don't bother trying loads of effects with an MG, you can't polish a turd. You should save up for and amp.

Actually, you CAN polish a turd! Myth busted!

Back on topic, like many of the others have said, you're going to need a new amp. You can probably sell your MG for a decent amount too.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by sstony

my first proper guitar (i don't really count the budget bundle pack guitar), my guitar teacher helped me pick it out. such an awesome guitar. love playing on this.

your satin singlecut look nice!
Attachments:
RIMG0173.JPG
WOOHOO!!! got my fender blue's junior! cost me a bit, but so worth it!

thanks everyone for the info. now to enjoy discovering the joy's the amp.

cheers again people!

nJayJ
Congrats.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by njayj
based on all that has been said, i feel i may have made a very bad choice when buying my marshell amp.
njayj

Don't sweat it, most people buy crappy amps their first time out. For bedroom playing a small tube combo, or lunchbox head with a small cabinet would be ideal. Throw a tubescreamer in front of a valve jr, or champ 600, and you will probably be pretty happy with the sound you get.

EDIT: guess I didn't read far enough to see that you already bought an amp lol.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 26, 2010,
Quote by njayj
what's a HNAD?

H appy
N ew
A mp
D ay

congratulating people on getting their dream amp... or just another in a long series of amps hehe
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes