Hello UG community,

I am hoping to install a microphone system in my acoustic guitar to replace the very poor pickup system that came with it. The guitar is a Takamine EG440sc.
The mic would have to pick up percussion sounds played on the body to be looped in my Akai E2 Headrush.
I understand that this is a guitar shop job but i would appreciate a head start so i know a little of what i am talking about.

Help would be greatly appreciated,
Richard
When I did a percusive acoustic song at school I had a normal mic pointing at the guiar at around where the top of neck joins the body, dunno whether that helps
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
A good pickup inside, plus a good mic pointed right at the body should do good. Also, if you're singing too, don't use the same mic. Have one near your mouth and one near the guitar.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Just remember that im trying to do this live guys... and therefore trying to reduce the chance of feedback..
Quote by rickoc3
Just remember that im trying to do this live guys... and therefore trying to reduce the chance of feedback..

I think we all realize that. If your noticing too much feedback, then it's possible that your mic is the problem.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Fishman Ellipse Blend. It's got an undersaddle PU and a mic inside the body of the guitar. Pricey (about $250 installed) but sounds VERY VERY nice. Had one for three years in my Martin D-15, and it's great. ALWAYS sounds good plugged right in to the PA at gigs...
I've been hearing good things about the L.R. Baggs M1 Active pickup.

its just in my price range of €200 ...

anyone have anything to say about it?
Yeah it came with a very poor piezo pickup system,
so much quack it becomes unbearable... also pretty much no pickup of body percussion
I'll second the M1, but unless you want to buy a preamp, get the active version. dont worry, the battery lasts forever and a day.
Where the hell did slide guitar go!?!
Schertler DYN-G is the best way to go if you want the most direct amplification possible. It's a mic that you stick to the bridge with putty. Pretty much the ultimate acoustic amplification.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Unless you have a lot of equipment and a little larger venue I wouldn't mic it. You would probably get your best results from an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI.
Umm... Just to clear something up. A Piezo is a type of pickup which detects sound through a material(these days, companies often use polymers). When this material vibrates, it creates an electrical disturbance, which then translates into the sound of the guitar when amplified.

Undersaddle piezos do not pick up tapping that well. This is because of the placement of the piezo. It's under the saddle, and probably quite far away from where you're tapping. Under bridge transducers, however, do a better job of this because the transducer is inside the guitar where the intensity of the tap will be much greater.

As for the suggestion of the M1 Active... I have one myself. While it IS undeniably very sensitive to taps on the body, it will not give you a deep thud, but more of a realistic knocking-on-your-door kinda sound.

Just putting a mic into your guitar...? I'm not sure how well that would go. I don't believe I know of any brands who just make microphones to put into an acoustic guitar. There are combo pickup system such as the K&K, that mix a variety of transducers along with a microphone, but they'll cost you.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I have a Takamine EG334SC with a mic on the inside, TK-40 preamp, and its located near the back of the guitar, near the input jack and strap button, picks up percussion rather well. If your getting a mic I would fork out the dough for a Takamine Cool Tube pre amp, they are amazing, but expensive.
Quote by captivate
A Piezo is a type of pickup which detects sound through a material(these days, companies often use polymers). When this material vibrates, it creates an electrical disturbance, which then translates into the sound of the guitar when amplified.

Two picky corrections:

1. Piezo-electric materials are nearly always ceramics, not polymers.
2. The output current comes, literally, from the top and strings squeezing the pickup material as they vibrate. That current is then amplified to a useful level.

Not that that really helps the TS at all. I say just use an external mic. It works great for me.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Two picky corrections:

1. Piezo-electric materials are nearly always ceramics, not polymers.
2. The output current comes, literally, from the top and strings squeezing the pickup material as they vibrate. That current is then amplified to a useful level.

Not that that really helps the TS at all. I say just use an external mic. It works great for me.

I read somewhere that stated that ceramics were no longer the standard as many were switching over to polymers. I'm not sure where though because I've been roaming around the internet for so long.
Equipment:

Can we get back to the original topic.

What is the best way to amplify percussion on my acoustic guitar... with minimal feedback
If there's a PA that's being used, I'd say just get an instrument mic, and place it somewhere between the 12th fret and the soundhole. That get's the most "realistic" sound (assuming your mic is good). Microphones are used to capture sounds and amplify them, no matter the sound. Could be a Vibraphone, Lute, Cello, Double Bass, Marimba, whatever. It would work.

In my guitar I use an undersaddle piezo pickup and a mic inside of my guitar (something special from Alvarez itself) and I blend the two sounds together. I've found that it basically picks up everything; taps on the guitar, playing, strumming behind the nut, etc etc. It works pretty well and doesn't feed back.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by rickoc3
Can we get back to the original topic.

What is the best way to amplify percussion on my acoustic guitar... with minimal feedback

Well... how large is your venue and how loud will you be playing?

If it's a smaller venue and you're not just cranking it to 11, just using a microphone is often a better solution then getting something inside your guitar.

If it's a larger venue and feedback is a real problem, a K&K pure mini western with the optional mic is a good solution.
Equipment: