How the hell do people keep interest in guitar for so long?

I like to play guitar, but I am definitely getting bored of it. I used to practice everyday for at least two hours, usually 4 or more. Now I barely play for 1 hour, and sometimes not even for a day or two.

I don't know how to get my interest back into it. Before I'd keep interest by setting goals of playing songs, but my guitar just doesn't permit it (My Les Paul was destroyed by my cousin, so I got my friends old squire, which is just as shit, except with worse pickups, higher action, and only 21 frets). The next step is virtuoso songs and stuff, but even they bore me because I'm good enough to be able to play them, it just takes longer to be able to play them at the same level id play a hard song (i.e it took me nearly 3 months to get Far Beyond the Sun down perfectly, while it took about 2 weeks to get down Holy Wars... The Punishment Due perfectly). Should i just slow down, play blues and stuff for fun until I can afford a better guitar, or is it likely that even with a better guitar I still would just be 'meh' about it?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I know nice new guitars always give me a boost of motivation, but I would never stop playing guitar just because I had a crappy one. I go through phases where I don't play a lot of guitar but it always comes back. Try working on different things instead of just learning songs. Try working on your improv, or start writing.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
try going to guitar center and playing new guitars or try finding some new music and getting inspiered.
Quote by d3adh3adch3mist
Maybe if you moved away from the technique driven genres of music you would be more inspired?

Maybe..

What should I play?

I play Jazz, Prog Metal, Shred/instrumental, and Neo-Classical stuff right now.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Edit; ^Get a bunch of CD's of different genres. Big names any store will have, like B.B. King, Wes Montgomery, Eric Clapton, Joe Satch, Metallica, Rush, Pink Floyd and others from a bunch of different genres. Listen to them all, then see where it goes.

1. Do more than just figuring out songs.
2. Find a guitar and music that inspire you rather than just what's cheap and what's challenging.
3. Start writing music.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 9, 2010,
Try learning another instrument.

Also try to find people to jam with or play live shows.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jan 9, 2010,
Yeah, the more comfortable and pleasant sounding your guitar is, the more you will want to play it. Especially right when you buy a new guitar that you really love, you won't want to put it down. I also find that doing things like basic maintenance, changing strings, experimenting with your signal chain, amp EQ, etc. can be pretty inspiring but I'm a total guitar geek.

Maybe you just don't love it as much as some? Not everyone has to play guitar, you know. I'm far more passionate about writing fiction than I am about playing guitar, but it's a close second.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Play what ever you like. We can't suggest you play a genre, that way you wouldn't be inspired to play if you didn't like it.

Yes bad gear is never a good thing and it put's you off playing. My suggestion if you like guitar then save up and buy some nice gear, find music that you really aspire to and just play, heck even write your stuff, it helps.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Start writing music, and change to an entirely different genre. I used to play nothing but metal. I started getting bored, and suddenly switched to smoooooooooooth jaaaaazzzzz. Got re-inspired and now I play metal again. It's a never-ending cycle.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by V.U.K
Maybe..

What should I play?

I play Jazz, Prog Metal, Shred/instrumental, and Neo-Classical stuff right now.

Try taking a step back from all of that...
Play some blues, Thrash, Death and Black metal. Just take a break from shredding leads and lay down some crushing riffs, and then spend time creating leads to go over those riffs.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Ah, the ol' basement shredder

The purpose of playing music IS TO GET OUT AND PLAY MUSIC. Learning parts of songs for 4 hours a day in your basement is both boring and a waste of time.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.