Hi all,

Just recently bought a JCM 800 2204 50w, and I haven only had a chance to try it once so far hooking it to my Fender HRD speaker, which sounded ok, but a bit too impractical.

As I've mentioned before the plan is to use the 800 for bedroom playing. Yes I know thats also impractical, but its I dont do venues, gigs nor am I in a band, but my neighbours are fairly patient (I hope).

I was originally thinking a 4x12 and 2x12 might be a bit TOO loud for my room. 2x12 is tempting but I fear it might be a bit over the top in ovlume management. I thought maybe a 1x12 will probably do it.

Anyways I was recommended what ever cab I buy to get decent speakers, I was recommended the G12-65's for being low efficiency the G12H30's. I know the 65's could probably handle theJCM800 and even maybe a single H30's might also? If I am playing on reasonably quiet volumes?

Which leads me to the question, will I be able to sound "decent" and would it be safe to play through cabs designed for those low wattage heads like the Vox night train, Marshall Haze, orange TT etc? My impression was these cabs were designed for quietness rather than the full blown 150w speaker cabs etc.

I was interested in the Vox V112NT:

Or the Marshall MHZ112B:

Or even the highly recommended ORange PPC112:

I was thinking the speakers they have are pretty decent and I can always change out the speaker later. Portability isnt really a problem as it;ll be in one place. Size might be.

I would love to buy a Marshall 1936 212 cab, but I fear it and the speakers in it might be a bit too loud for me and practise considering I'll play literally next to it.

What do you guys/girls think? Would those cabs above work? I know it's not really putting my JCM to FULL use but hey gotta be realistic aswell (No I cant sell it to get a smaller amp). Considering I just bought the JCM 800, my budget atm is £150-200 max.

Thanks!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
No matter how many speakers you have, that amp will be too loud. Period.

While I agree with this to a degree, if you are willing to spend some money you can get say... a 212 or a 112 cab designed for low efficiency AND get an attenuator. The only problem there would be that you could never use that cab with the raw JCM or you would annihilate the speakers. My teacher has two cabs for his JCM. A fullly loaded 412 and an attenuated, low efficiency 212 which is quieter than my valveking.

Here's a guy on youtube who does the same thing with a different amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6b_E6GTopc
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 9, 2010,
you can buy an iso cab or build something similar to it to block excess noise
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Well as it stands now it seems my ONLY option is (I cant buy from avatar, Im based in UK): buy a Marshall 1936 2x12 (2 G12T75's cab) for £160 second hand which seems LOUD or a 1x12 Orange PPC with 1x12 Vintage 30 for £180 or the Vox Night Train with a Greenback for £154.

Which to go with?
If you weren't careful you would destroy a greenback with that JCM. You couldn't turn it up very loud. Same thing for the V30. The 1936 could handle the amp but it would be loud. That's a hard one...

Can you shell out the money for an attenuator instead/as well? It will rob you of a little bit of your tone but it will make the amp much more useable in a bedroom environment. You might try the attenuator with the 1936 cab so you could play both at gig levels (further on up the road) and bedroom levels. Or you could just get the greenback and never push it too hard.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Vintage 30s are loud speakers. You need to start looking at the efficiencies of the speakers. A single V30 is going to be louder than two greenbacks, since a V30 has a high efficiency and greenbacks have a much lower efficiency.
A single greenback won't handle the 50 watts from the 800 though. I think a 2x12 with greenbacks would be good, as long as you don't have the amp on 10 (it seems like you won't.)
Your best option is still an attenuator though. 50 watts is a whole lot of amp for bedroom playing through any cab.
I'm not entirely happy with my 2x12 with 65W Scumback greenbacks in it. The crunch gets quite loose in the low end during riffing because of the reduced bass response in the greenbacks and there only being 2 speakers in the oversized cab.

Get 12-65s or 12H30s through an attenuator or reamp setup. The 12-65s will be the quieter of the two.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Man, if I read another one of these threads about people stressing over their bedroom sound I think my head will explode - YOU'RE IN YOUR BEDROOM FFS!!!! What's next? Jimi Hendrix strats with Fender written in mirror writing so you look right in the mirror too? As long as you can hear it ok what else matters? You want your amp to sound as good in your bedroom as it does on stage??? wtf? I use a JCM900 4102 as my practice amp and it does the job fine, I don't expect it to sound exactly like it does on stage so all is well. Seriously, just turn down the master volume and tweak your eq a bit and you'll get a good enough sound to practice with.

***resists "spanking the monkey" jokes and walks away***

PS: my brother (also a musician) just made a funny observation, he said, "They're probably just kids trying to impress some girl they've coaxed home in an attempt to get laid"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
...Or maybe he's recording, or just cares about how he sounds because it encourages him to practice more.
Sure, it's a lot of amp for the bedroom, but there's nothing wrong with wanting good tone for practicing.
Well in this case you may be right, he may be recording. Don't worry about me, I'm sure it's just an age thing. The self-indulgence exhibited by young folk these days leaves me totally gobsmacked.

NOW GET OFF MY GODAMNED LAWN!!!!!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well in this case you may be right, he may be recording. Don't worry about me, I'm sure it's just an age thing. The self-indulgence exhibited by young folk these days leaves me totally gobsmacked.
I'm 23 and I feel the exact same way you do when I read these threads.

Biblical tone for the bedroom... ok, whatever.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I'm 23 and I feel the exact same way you do when I read these threads.

Biblical tone for the bedroom... ok, whatever.

Oh good, it's not just me - and you're only half my age. I thought I may have just been witnessing the whole spoilt mummy's boy "I want it now!" "I just want it to work!!" crap that is driving us all into a consumerist hell hole. I was starting to wonder if I should just walk away entirely. But, if even a young EMG hater that shelled out big $ for a HT-5 finds it all a bit wanky then maybe all is not lost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If it wouldn't piss off my roommates, I would practice on my live rig.. I just like the way it sounds over a practice amp or VST plugin
/rig
Cheers for the replies so far, keep it coming guys!

I also found a Marshall 1x12 with a single G12T75, theres no pics of it, but its selling for £100
Last edited by Azaril000 at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Azaril000
Cheers for the replies so far, keep it coming guys!

I also found a Marshall 1x12 with a single G12T75, theres no pics of it, but its selling for £100
Get it. 75 watts, plus it has a low sensitivity rating so it won't be quite as loud as V30.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Doesn't it have a master volume and a gain control? Any amp with those should be fine for bedrooms.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^ have you ever heard a low volume 800? They're massively trebly.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Cathbard
Oh good, it's not just me - and you're only half my age. I thought I may have just been witnessing the whole spoilt mummy's boy "I want it now!" "I just want it to work!!" crap that is driving us all into a consumerist hell hole. I was starting to wonder if I should just walk away entirely. But, if even a young EMG hater that shelled out big $ for a HT-5 finds it all a bit wanky then maybe all is not lost.

Amen !
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
I play my JCM 800 2205 through a 4x12 in my bedroom, and it sounds fine at low volume levels. Preamp volume all the way up, master vol. up to about 1/2. Of course it's gonna sound better turned up, but it's more than good enough for practice. But different people have different tastes, maybe I'm just crazy.
Last edited by CaptDin at Jan 10, 2010,
^ Greenbacks or G12-65s will be significanly quieter than G12H30s, G12T-75s or Vintage 30s because of speaker efficiency.

^