I really, really want a tone close to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFD8ryOY54

But I can't figure it out.

I mean, obviously it's an OD channel with just a little dirt, and he's playing a hollowbody, but I still can't get it.

My gear:

Dean Sarasota 6 string semi-hollow

B-52 AT-112 Tube Combo.

Anyone have any ideas for getting that tone? I really need a slide. I made one out of an old Finger Ease can but it's a piece of shit; I'm thinking of buying a glass one when I go to town today.

Suggestions?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I can't see Jack White ever using an eq pedal if that's what you're talking about. Plenty of mids, some low end, not too much on the high end.

He isn't using an overdrive channel, I don't think Jack plays with an amp with an overdrive channel.

His tone is in the way he attacks the guitar quite a lot of the time.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta
I can't see Jack White ever using an eq...

He isn't using an overdrive channel, I don't think Jack plays with an amp with an overdrive channel.

I didn't ask what exact gear did Jack White use to get that tone, I asked about how I could get that tone with the gear I have.

Jack White doesn't use an EQ? Most amps have an EQ built in, if I'm not mistaken. My title might have mislead you but I'm asking for settings, not pedal recommendations.

And he might not use an OD channel but that's obviously an overdriven tone in the song. My amp is 60 watts, so my clean channel has way too much headroom to achieve anything like that, so I'll have to use my dirty channel to get the tone, obviously.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
In concert with an MXR Micro-Amp and custom Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Distortion/Sustainer, White can produce a very distinctive sound. In 2005, for the single "Blue Orchid", White employed the use of a new Electro-Harmonix creation, the Polyphonic Octave Generator (POG). Similar to (but more versatile than) the Whammy IV, the POG lets the user mix in several octave effects into one along with the dry signal. He also has three Zvex Tremolo Probes, that are hand painted black. All of the pedals that he uses live have been professionally painted red to match his red/black/white color scheme (with the exception of his Whammy and the other pedals that are already red). He plugs this setup into a 1970s Fender Twin Reverb and two 100-Watt Sears Silvertone 6x10 combo amplifiers.[34] With the Raconteurs, he has many more unusual pedals. And also, for the Raconteurs' 2008 tour, he had all of his pedals copper plated by Analogman.

White also produces a "fake" bass tone by playing the Kay Hollowbody and JB Hutto Montgomery Airline guitars through a Whammy IV set to one octave down for a very thick, low, rumbling sound, which he uses most notably on the songs "Seven Nation Army" and "The Hardest Button to Button" during live performances.[32][35]

that is just part of the stuff he uses.. got it off wiki
he uses a Fender Twin Reverb with a Big Muff Distortion pedal... no overdrive channel... A Fender Twin Reverb is known best for its clean sounds and he just uses a Big Muff to get his distortion... Great Pedal BTW...

Ive seen him use Silvertone combo amps too in concert... But I havent really played with them much, they seem cheap to me....
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Quote by dudetheman
I didn't ask what exact gear did Jack White use to get that tone, I asked about how I could get that tone with the gear I have.

Jack White doesn't use an EQ? Most amps have an EQ built in, if I'm not mistaken. My title might have mislead you but I'm asking for settings, not pedal recommendations.

And he might not use an OD channel but that's obviously an overdriven tone in the song. My amp is 60 watts, so my clean channel has way too much headroom to achieve anything like that, so I'll have to use my dirty channel to get the tone, obviously.

I realised, and edited.
Anybody that knows Jack White's style knows he plays loud as shit...
You said that the tone is obviously an overdrive channel with a little bit of dirt, I told you otherwise. I reckon that's either his Silvertone cranked up a little bit, or thats a small vintage amp cranked up.
^^ Cheap? They're handwired and my 1484 still works perfectly after nearly 50 years.

They're also insanely dirty so when he's playing with one, it'll be the amp's overdrive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
TS, I think your amp is probably voiced wrong and you're trying to be too gainy. His overdriven tone is coming from the speaker being pushed and tube saturation, not an OD channel.

I think the tone on SDYKMN is mainly coming from the guitar itself though.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jan 9, 2010,
^ Was that directed at me or the TS? I don't play (or like) Jack White.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
To me, they sound cheap,,,but thats just what I think because I have tested out a few of them, you dont have to give me the history of the company...
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Quote by cobracarg
To me, they sound cheap,,,but thats just what I think because I have tested out a few of them, you dont have to give me the history of the company...

They were fairly cheap at the time, but things were as a generalisation crafted better at that time. However you might not have tried the real Silvertones, and might have instead tried the POS solid states released under the name nowadays.