i recently had emg's istalled by a professional guitar tech and the pickup in the bridge is noticably crooked, are they supposed to be like that? the neck pickups is fine. i thought this was normal cause i kept pickupng a strat having that crooked pickups so i thought its normal. please let me know guys
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It could be the wiring is in a bind under the pickup causing it to sit crooked. Are you able to move it? It could also be the mounts.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
the pickups wont budge, i can take a picture of it id your guys thiniik thattle be usefull
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
well heres the pic

if u take a look at the top of hte pickup, u can definatley tell that its crooked and there is indeed a gap
Attachments:
Crooked-Pickup.jpg
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Yup, thats slightly crooked, looks more like a spring mount problem, adjust the two middle screws till it lines itself back up. Be careful not to back the screws out all the way, cause you'll have a hell of a time getting it all back in there.
And if you do back the screws all of the way out, just loosen the strings up, take the pickup out and re-install it in the pickup ring. Also, it may be the wiring like Jhonny said, just this morning I was installing some EMG's and I had a problem like that and the screws kept catching on the wires, but I got them straightened out and it's all good now.

TL;DR, ya be careful and it may be bunched up wiring, ramble, ramble.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Jan 9, 2010,
Take your strings off and then take the screws out of the mounting ring. Lift it out of the body carefully and take a look under it. Try to straighten it up and put it back in. Pretty simple.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by EspTro
i recently had emg's istalled by a professional guitar tech and the pickup in the bridge is noticably crooked, are they supposed to be like that? the neck pickups is fine. i thought this was normal cause i kept pickupng a strat having that crooked pickups so i thought its normal. please let me know guys

Sure, you can fix this yourself, it isn't a disaster by any means, but just sloppy. But since you presumably paid a professional to install the pick ups, I would take it back. Let him mess around with the strings, screws and wires and all that. Installing pick ups isn't a difficult job, but there's always a risk to make a scratch, or a dent. Let him take that risk, since that's part of what you pay for (obviously if he scratches your guitar you will need to be compensated for that). Since you didn't install them yourself, I presume you're not that confident messing around with the electrics of a guitar. So don't ;-).

I think this sort of sloppy work shows a disrespect for the customer, the work and the amount of money paid.

If you do want to do it yourself: loosen the strings (or take them off if that doesn't give you enough slack). Take out that 4 screws that hold the pickup ring. Then lift the pick up out. Look at the wiring. It could be that some wires are in the way of the pickup. Press them to the sides properly. If there's way too much wire, try pushing some of it in the electronics cavity. Also check if the mounting springs are straight. If that doesn't solve it, I'd need a picture of the situation ;-).

Oh and a note: don't take out the 2 pick up screws (the ones with the springs on them). If you do, it's a pretty crappy job to put back together. I always use a third hand to do it.. And I've lost one or two springs along the years. Nothing is more frustrating than searching your work shop for some recalcitrant spring.
Last edited by Parad at Jan 9, 2010,
^ I know I'm not on the "Who to listen to" list, but it is possible to do it if you just slacken the strings, although you have to be careful not to scratch the finish. Just this way, you don't have to go through a new pack of strings (yes, I'm cheap)

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
thank u all for your help. i am a little pissed cause i paid this guy 70 bucks and he gives it back with this sloppy crap. supposedly the best guitar tech in socal but w/e. ima go take this and rub it in his face.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
thank u all for your help. i am a little pissed cause i paid this guy 70 bucks and he gives it back with this sloppy crap. supposedly the best guitar tech in socal but w/e. ima go take this and rub it in his face.
1 - You should definitely take it back and have him make it right.

2 - You should definitely LOSE the attitude. Being confrontational will just slow down the process. This isn't right. He needs to make it right. No "nose rubbing" is involved here. Chill out.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by MonkeyLink07
^ I know I'm not on the "Who to listen to" list, but it is possible to do it if you just slacken the strings, although you have to be careful not to scratch the finish. Just this way, you don't have to go through a new pack of strings (yes, I'm cheap)

I wouldn't do it that way because it would be real easy to scratch the finish. If the strings are new you can put them back on. I've done it before and they were fine. I'm not cheap, I'm just poor.
guys, i have no worries of scratching my finish....cause its satin not glossy lol.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
would defo try and get a reason off him to see why its crooked, could be the pick up has offset mounts, cant see that though. And I hate to have to do this, but you should have saved the $70 and put it in an amp fund :[
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Quote by Ieuanm
would defo try and get a reason off him to see why its crooked, could be the pick up has offset mounts, cant see that though. And I hate to have to do this, but you should have saved the $70 and put it in an amp fund :[
Excess cable is probably jammed between the baseplate and the route. Most likely, he'll remove the pickup, reposition the cable and put the pickup back in. Not a big deal.

Should have been spotted before it left the bench, but sometimes things like this get overlooked.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.