I am in the market for a new guitar and narrowed it down to the following two models:

Seagull Maritime SWS High Gloss:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Maritime-SWS-High-Gloss-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=581755

Or

Yamaha LL16:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-L-Series-LL16-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Case?sku=518514

Both are all solid, come with a case, hand crafted, very similar in price.
I'd pick the yamaha due to the headstock looking alot nicer, and the black pickguard is a nice change from the standard mahogany/tan guard

It's down to personal choice in all honesty, what i like to look at might be different to you

In short;

If you had to live with one for life, which one would make your life better? :P
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
oh seagull all the way. they are my favorite acoustic guitars (besides the new prs acoustic i played the other day)
If you are wanting quality, the Seagull Martime is going to be your choice... Its made in Canada, and are built very nicely. They give detailed descriptions on how they make their guitars on their website.

If you want looks, go for the Yamaha. You arent going to get a better quality because its made in China, and they put less effort in their guitar making than Seagull guitar makers.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Personally, if it was down to those two, I'd probably take the Seagul. Have you played either of them? Make sure to find a guitar shop and try them if at all possible. You should check out some other guitars, there are a ton in that price range.

Remember, Sound > Looks.
seagull def

made very nice
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
seagull without a doubt. yamaha definitely make great guitars, but seagulls are just top notch. try them both out if you can though.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
they both have a wide nut, although the seagull is a very very tiny bit wider as the yamaha is 1 3/4 and the seagull is 1.8. they're both high quality brands known for good build, finish and sound quality. the yamaha has an englemann top, which i really love, but the seagull has a shorter scale, which i also like. the yamaha has rosewood back and sides, which i generally prefer over mahogany, which the seagull has - but that's not set in stone.

i'd really want to try 'em both if at all possible. to me, the biggest part of the decision is the englemann top vs the shorter scale, so if i couldn't try 'em, both, i'd get the yamaha from a store with a liberal return policy. then if i felt that it was too stiff and a good setup wouldn't be enough, i'd switch after trying the yamaha.
Quote by obeythepenguin

@ Anthony1991: One generally buys guitars because they sound good and are comfortable to play, not because they look nice. The Seagull headstock, by the way, is designed for functional over aesthetic purposes (straight string pull slightly improves tuning stability).

Lolrly? I Buy because of all that you said.

He was asking for aesthetic opinions since he wasn't after an indepth review, if anything this thread is about saying their both good, buy them if you can, that's all these threads are ever about :P
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I played the electro acoustic version of that yamaha the other day. I was really quite impressed with it. The sound was loud and sweet, also seemed very well built. I find that a lot of the yamahas are brilliant value i.e. you get more for your money than other similar priced guitars. Couldn't really comment on the seagull, iv'e never played one as they aren't common here in the UK.
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Anthony1991
Lolrly? I Buy because of all that you said.

He was asking for aesthetic opinions since he wasn't after an indepth review, if anything this thread is about saying their both good, buy them if you can, that's all these threads are ever about :P

Where exactly did he ask for "aesthetic opinions"? I can't seem to find that.

TS, please don't buy a guitar merely on appearance. Sounds quality is always the best to choose. 99% of knowledgable members here will tell you this, and also tell you to try as many as you can in that range to find the one that really shines.
i just noticed that the seagull comes with a tric case, which makes sense, and i couldn't find where yamaha specified what case it came with.

i don't like tric cases much - i bought a hardcase to replace the tric case i got for my seagull coastline cedar grand. tric cases are made of foam, and depending on the case either have a fabric cover and velcro closures or no cover at all so they're naked foam, but those do have latches. like all foam cases, they're bigger and... er... fluffier than regular cases. if you have cats or aren't careful, the foam would be easy to damage on the outside. so if the cases were a feature, i'd call or email musiciansfriend and find out if the yamaha case is an actual hardshell case.
Quote by Silverstein14
Where exactly did he ask for "aesthetic opinions"? I can't seem to find that.

TS, please don't buy a guitar merely on appearance. Sounds quality is always the best to choose. 99% of knowledgable members here will tell you this, and also tell you to try as many as you can in that range to find the one that really shines.

Stop disregarding my opinion which is the same as yours, im just saying since msot of us here cant pick the damn thing, that aesthetics is all we have to go on, and from that the Yamaha is better.

Only an idiot picks a guitar because it looks cool.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by patticake
i just noticed that the seagull comes with a tric case, which makes sense, and i couldn't find where yamaha specified what case it came with.

i don't like tric cases much - i bought a hardcase to replace the tric case i got for my seagull coastline cedar grand. tric cases are made of foam, and depending on the case either have a fabric cover and velcro closures or no cover at all so they're naked foam, but those do have latches. like all foam cases, they're bigger and... er... fluffier than regular cases. if you have cats or aren't careful, the foam would be easy to damage on the outside. so if the cases were a feature, i'd call or email musiciansfriend and find out if the yamaha case is an actual hardshell case.

The title of the guitar on the website is "Yamaha L Series LL16 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar with Case"
I would take yamaha because it has rosewood b&s and ebony fretboard.
Seagull has mahogany and rosewood.

They are both very good guitars and come down to personal choice. Only way to find the one for you is to try them
thank you - that was my point

Quote by obeythepenguin
...but it doesn't say what kind of case, which I believe was patticake's point.
Quote by Anthony1991
Stop disregarding my opinion which is the same as yours, im just saying since msot of us here cant pick the damn thing, that aesthetics is all we have to go on, and from that the Yamaha is better.

Only an idiot picks a guitar because it looks cool.

EDIT: ObeyThePenguin summed it up pretty much exactly.
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by obeythepenguin
So, what you're saying is: We have to pick it on looks alone, which only an idiot would do? Unless I misread your utterly incoherent post, you've just contradicted yourself.

Anyway, I think OP is perfectly reasonable in seeking a second opinion on quite a major purchase. And no, it's not purely about aesthetics -- as patticake mentioned, there's the sound and playability differences, and the important practical matter of the case. I can see how that could potentially make or break the deal.

...but it doesn't say what kind of case, which I believe was patticake's point.

I don't think the case really matters, I'ed buy a RoadRunner hard case and just be done with it, throw out the original case, whatever it may be.

The Yamaha is a great guitar, and the Seagull is a great guitar, one has its advantages over the other, it's the TS's choice, so stop bickering like little school children.

While I'm here, again, I'll recommend some other guitars you might want to try out in that price range.

Takamine G Series EG334SC: I own this guitar, very nice, has almost an electric guitar profile neck, similar to a Squier or a Ibanez. It has very stable tuning, I've never had to adjust the truss rod, the action is a bit high, and they do buzz a bit, but the tone is very warm, and bass heavy, so I like to use the brightest strings possible, and the preamp is very good for live and recording situations. Mine has the TK-40 preamp, but this one is just as good. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EG334SC/

Martin DCX1KE: I almost bought this over the Takamine, but it didn't fit me quite as well as the Takamine, but its just as good as the Takamine.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Martin+-+6-String+Dreadnought+Single-Cutaway+Acoustic+Electric+Guitar/8944618.p?skuId=8944618&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8944618&ref=06&loc=01&id=1216424496802

Breedlove Atlas Series Studio D25/SM: I love Breelove guitars, there so nice, and their also made in Canada, but this one is slightly more expensive, but it beats all the guitars reccomended above, very warm and rich tone, not too bass heavy, great action, great neck feel, great tuning stability.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-Studio-D25SM-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=500485&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=239724663
spec wise they both are amazing. sound wise I've only experience the seagull maritime SWS, and it's amazing. That's the one I am planning on getting.

I haven't tried this specific Yamaha. but from the ones that I've had, they are quality instruments. you can't go wrong with either of them.