Can someone help me with metronomes. When i just do basic chromatic scales(i do them frets 1-2-3-4 go down all four strings then go 2-3-4-5 and so on) it's 4th notes when you pick everytime the metronome clicks right? So i would have to hit it when it clicks halfway between the clicks for 8th notes and so on for 16th notes. I just want to make sure i understand it correctly. Can anyone help me with scales. I understand how, lets just say major, scales are formed. But i don't know how they equate to the fretboard because to me, you could just play them on one string. Can someone show me where i can find bass scales because i cant find anything on google search.

I am working on my fingerpicking and am just trying to find ways that i can build accuracy and speed. thanks
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
bass scales are the same as guitar scales if you learn the notes on your fretboard things will make alot more sense
Quote by supersac
bass scales are the same as guitar scales if you learn the notes on your fretboard things will make alot more sense

I do know the notes on the fretboard. Now im not saying that i can instantaniously but i can figure the notes out pretty quickly as i know how the fretboard works. But i just don't understand how the scales are played. Like i figured out the c scale starting on the E string, 8th fret. But i have seen that the proper way is to start on the A string, 3rd fret. It just doesn't make sence
It doesn't matter where you start a scale. The reason you'd choose the E string over the A is maybe because you need to hit a high note on the G string, or some other reason. There's no "proper" way to play a scale.

The reason you could play it on one string, but don't, is because you try to make playing as easy as possible on your fretting hand. Keeping it in one position, or trying to limit large position moves (places the fretting hand sits) keeps it easier on energy consumption.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
It doesn't matter where you start a scale. The reason you'd choose the E string over the A is maybe because you need to hit a high note on the G string, or some other reason. There's no "proper" way to play a scale.

The reason you could play it on one string, but don't, is because you try to make playing as easy as possible on your fretting hand. Keeping it in one position, or trying to limit large position moves (places the fretting hand sits) keeps it easier on energy consumption.

Alright thanks. Can you tell me of a place to learn how to play various scales. If i need to transcribe those to the fretboard im fine, in fact i love understanding it(my music class and playing piano has helped so much more then i ever thought it would and hey its a freaking high school elective ). I just need to understand how they are played(note intervals or however else). plus maybe if someone can help me learn spider scales and the such. realy thanks man, you have helped me alot with just assuring me that i can figure scales on my own and that there is no correct way of doing them.
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Alright thanks. Can you tell me of a place to learn how to play various scales. If i need to transcribe those to the fretboard im fine, in fact i love understanding it(my music class and playing piano has helped so much more then i ever thought it would and hey its a freaking high school elective ). I just need to understand how they are played(note intervals or however else). plus maybe if someone can help me learn spider scales and the such. realy thanks man, you have helped me alot with just assuring me that i can figure scales on my own and that there is no correct way of doing them.

No problem. You can look up loads of scales on Wikipedia. Bear in mind that once you've learned a scale shape, you just move it around the fretboard. The note relationships stay the same, so the scale remains the same, you just start it on a different fret.

http://www.angelfire.com/id/bass/

Take a look at these, you just play the dots on a string until there aren't anymore, then move up to the next string. If you've got any more questions, don't hesitate to ask .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
For the metronome thing, if you're playing in any time signature in four, then one click is a quarter note, two notes in one click is an eighth and four notes in one click is a sixteenth, eight is a 32nd, 16 is a 64th and so on.

Also, as for scales what you really need is just some theory. Find out what a major scale is, in terms of intervals and then apply it to the fretboard in the most convenient way. I'm loathe to tell you what the most efficient scale pattern is because all that leads to is a robotic approach and you don't really understand, so I'll leave that up to you.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
For the metronome thing, if you're playing in any time signature in four, then one click is a quarter note, two notes in one click is an eighth and four notes in one click is a sixteenth, eight is a 32nd, 16 is a 64th and so on.

Also, as for scales what you really need is just some theory. Find out what a major scale is, in terms of intervals and then apply it to the fretboard in the most convenient way. I'm loathe to tell you what the most efficient scale pattern is because all that leads to is a robotic approach and you don't really understand, so I'll leave that up to you.

I understand how the major scale works intervally and i understood how you can apply them to the fretboard but i was just wondering if their is a correct way which has already been answered. Thanks for confirming the metronome help.