Page 1 of 3
Gigging may come up for me in the future, but I only have a combo amp. Everyone tells me that I need a half-stack, but my combo can get very loud. And I am not doing large gigs (cafes, bars, etc). So when do the conditions require a 4x12 as opposed to a 1x12? Or does it have to do with wattage? Thanks.
how much wattage does your combo has? you dont need a half stack those are only used for huge stadiums, your combo should be fine I think it will be mic'd right?
"As a rule we have for SS:

10-30W: practice on your own.
30-50W: practice with a band or recording.
50 to 100W (or more): Gigs (as much wattage as you ever need)

And for valves:

<20W: practice on your own
20-30W Band practice/Recording
30-50W Gigging.
>50W Hearing damage."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

Since i doubt they'll have a PA, actually, what wattage is your current amp? It could be more than enough
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by avery5150
My combo amp is 75 watts.

Then you should be alright

Tbh if you can match a drummer, then its generally more than enough
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
you will be fine, you can even gig with those 20w mini half stack and a PA and use full tube power, but always a normal halfstack adds a little bit of impression
I actually perfer a 4x12 over a 1x12 or 2x12 combo, but not for volume purposes, the 4x12 cab's usually have better response and dont get pushed as hard at medium to low volumes as compared to a 1x12 or a 2x12, so it stays clearer.

Plus, when I feel like it, I can over power the PA and everybody else just to be an ass with a 4x12. I use a 50 watt Valveking head.
A half stack isn't all about wattage and being as loud as you can be, it's about sound. I wouldn't gig in any venue without my 4x12 cabinet... period. I have a sweet spot of sound with my amp only 3 or 4 notches up on the dial with my 4x12 cabinet. I practice just with the head, but never feel that the sound is near as full and deep without the 4x12.

To answer your initial question... your 75 watt combo should be more than enough for most venues. In smaller venues it should just plain be fine. In larger venues it's a matter of miking your amp and putting the sound through your frontage, monitor, etc. to get what you need.
As one UG'r put it, a half stack is more about finding a very specific tone than meeting volume constraints. If you want the sound of a Marshall Plexi and a 4x12 with Greenbacks, then that is the only thing that will get you that sound. However, If you are just looking for any 30 Watt tube amp, a combo makes just as much sense as, if not more than, a stack.

You'll be fine with 75 Watts SS, but what amp do you have specifically?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I gigged with a Marshall MG15 before, since there was no other amp available, and I was heard over the drummer and in the whole venue.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Specifically, I have a Line 6 Spider III (75 watt). I know it doesn't have amazing tone or sound to it, but in my opinion it sounds better than my friends' solid-state amps, in particular the Marshall MG.
Quote by ibz_bucket
As one UG'r put it, a half stack is more about finding a very specific tone than meeting volume constraints. If you want the sound of a Marshall Plexi and a 4x12 with Greenbacks, then that is the only thing that will get you that sound. However, If you are just looking for any 30 Watt tube amp, a combo makes just as much sense as, if not more than, a stack.

You'll be fine with 75 Watts SS, but what amp do you have specifically?
YES! So true.
When the amp you desire isn't available in combo form.

+1 to ibz_bucket - pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Madzää
I gigged with a Marshall MG15 before, since there was no other amp available, and I was heard over the drummer and in the whole venue.

Skeptisism! :P

It gets loud, but i wouldn't say it could take down a drum kit at all
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991

And for valves:

<10W: practice on your own
10-30W Band practice/Recording/Gigging in relatively small areas
30-50W Gigging in large areas
>50W Hearing damage."

Since i doubt they'll have a PA, actually, what wattage is your current amp? It could be more than enough

Fixed.
I don't agree with the <20watts for practise, my Blackheart on the Seven watt setting is far to loud to be used at home, you could even gig with it. With the 15watt setting you could definitely gig with it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Fixed.
I don't agree with the <20watts for practise, my Blackheart on the Seven watt setting is far to loud to be used at home, you could even gig with it. With the 15watt setting you could definitely gig with it.

This is prolly true, I can hardly get my volume past 4 on my 50 watt Valveking and still be overpowering a 1600 Watt PA system, thats when I play through a 4x10 B-52 cab, my little 1x12 stock speaker cab wont even be heard if I have it at 4.
remember that watts are nothing to do with volume i could have 2 60w amps and 1 could be quiter/louder than the other . its to do with dB
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by avery5150
Specifically, I have a Line 6 Spider III (75 watt). I know it doesn't have amazing tone or sound to it, but in my opinion it sounds better than my friends' solid-state amps, in particular the Marshall MG.

In my opinion the higher end Spiders have a quite good tone, so, especially if you like the tone, use it for gigging, it has enough power for that. =)
I'm going to use my 75W Spider Jam for that, when the time has come to start gigging (today was first time my band played together with drums... that's 2x guitar + drums). And for that I even used my Spider3 15W @ master volume in middle, doing both guitars (me using the Spider3 modellers, my friend his GT-10). It was no problem hearing the amp together with the drums... and it was easy to carry it to the drummer too ^^

Like my foreposter said, it's about dB, not wattage.

Greetings
Decryphe
I practice with 140 watts?

As long as it can get over the drummer your fine. I am sure your amp can do that. Personally, I prefer 2x12...4x12 sounds like a fart? Just a little bit though.

Quote by 3-R4Z0R
In my opinion the higher end Spiders have a quite good tone
Really? I used to have jam sessions with some punk-rockers and they had a 2x12 Spider II. Played that thang for about 6 months once a week, and never got a decent tone out of it. To each their own I guess...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
In my opinion the higher end Spiders have a quite good ton

'High end Spiders'?

I do hope you're talking about the Spider Valve, not because I would class it as particularly 'high end', but because it's the only variation of a Spider. All the rest are the same, just different wattages and with more (or less) speakers.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
'High end Spiders'?

I do hope you're talking about the Spider Valve, not because I would class it as particularly 'high end', but because it's the only variation of a Spider. All the rest are the same, just different wattages and with more (or less) speakers.

The high end of Spiders is at a rather low end when compared to other amps, that's true. I mean Spiders with 75W or more. They have better power amplifiers than the smaller Spiders.
It depends on the amp in question. The same amp in combo form isn't going to be THAT much different than the head/cab form. Big combos like Twins can handle anything you would use a stack for.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
ok this thread has now been filled with spider lovers - I'm outta here before I'm overrun

all the L6 Spiders (except for the valve) are the same amp. The modelling in the 75 is EXACTLY THE SAME as in, say, the 15. Its just bigger. Take my advice and chuck that shit out the window.
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
The high end of Spiders is at a rather low end when compared to other amps, that's true. I mean Spiders with 75W or more. They have better power amplifiers than the smaller Spiders.

High watt =/= High end.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by hans the lefty
remember that watts are nothing to do with volume i could have 2 60w amps and 1 could be quiter/louder than the other . its to do with dB

True, very true, its based on how much output the amp actually has compared to the amount of work the speaker is capable of doing.
Quote by Jhachey22
High watt =/= High end.

A sausage also has a high end if you turn it the right way...
A combo can be used anywhere from a club gig to an arena. No one needs a wall of 4x12´s that are 90% dummys anyhow.
Quote by 3-R4Z0R

No, they don't.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial

all the L6 Spiders (except for the valve) are the same amp. The modelling in the 75 is EXACTLY THE SAME as in, say, the 15. Its just bigger.

^ This.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

You can gig with a 20 watt combo unmiced (if you don't need cleans). You can gig with a dang 5 watter man (if you mic it up). You'll never be able to use the full potential of your half stack in a gigging situation. Most sound guys won't even let you turn your amp up too loud anyways. Combos are like the ultimate gigging tool. Everything is in one little box and are just as loud with efficient speakers.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Some of the comments in this thread....

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can gig with a 20 watt combo unmiced (if you don't need cleans). You can gig with a dang 5 watter man (if you mic it up). You'll never be able to use the full potential of your half stack in a gigging situation. Most sound guys won't even let you turn your amp up too loud anyways. Combos are like the ultimate gigging tool. Everything is in one little box and are just as loud with efficient speakers.

+1 to this. If you have a tube amp, you never really need more than 20 watts. I could practice un-mic'd with my Night Train, and mic up for gigging. Plenty loud enough. I mean this argument always comes up when debating half stacks v. combo, tube vs. SS, any other argument when you talk about mic'ing amps...Do you ever NEED a 100watt stack? not really...you could gig with a POD and a guitar so long as the venue has a PA. Will that give you the same tone that you had out of your 100 watt stack? Not likely. Possible...but not likely.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 10, 2010,
My 120 watt tube head has never been taken above 2 on the master volume, i imagine it wont ever be taken above about 4? Still nice to have that headroom, but feels a little wasted. Also my cab weighs 67kg, it is a pain in the ass to haul around and i am not looking forward to taking it to my first gig soon!

Combo's are just as good as half stacks IMO and i own a half stack, only reason i do is because the ENGL Savage does not come as a combo amp.....
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by avery5150
Gigging may come up for me in the future, but I only have a combo amp. Everyone tells me that I need a half-stack, but my combo can get very loud. And I am not doing large gigs (cafes, bars, etc). So when do the conditions require a 4x12 as opposed to a 1x12? Or does it have to do with wattage? Thanks.

Never. You never need a halfstack.
Quote by eyebanez333

+1 to this. If you have a tube amp, you never really need more than 20 watts.

i dont know about that, the clean headroom on a 20W tube amp is completly different from on a 100W tube amp. so is the gain structure. straight volume wise, maybe, but smaller venues with no PA might be stretching it if you want cleans. for some styles though, that 100W tube amp has the right sound and 20W wont sound right.
When you feel you want the low end response of a 4x12 over a 1x12 or 2x12.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
You don't even need an amp for gigging. The best live sounds are produced without amps, Cynic do all live sounds with an AxeFx.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
^ and who is to say that is the best live sound? sure it works for them, but doesnt mean it is best for everyone. ive played with fantastic digital modelling software, and there are reasons i would rather play with an amp.
Quote by Anthony1991

And for valves:

<20W: practice on your own
20-30W Band practice/Recording
30-50W Gigging.
>50W Hearing damage."

These 'rules' are really misleading and should be removed. Bollocks if 50W solid state is anywhere near enough for unmic'd gigging, they simply don't cut through.

And my 18W valve amp has never once been used for 'practice on my own' (I use Guitar Rig for my practice needs), but gets gigged at least two or three times a week, often unmic'd in 200+ seater clubs..
Page 1 of 3