I've read the sticky, and I've watched a video, but I still have a question.

On the video, the guy said to tune your strings in this order: E e B G A D. What order would you tune them for a 7-string?

Also, how will I know if I'll need another spring in the back of my guitar? I'm pretty sure there is 2 in there (can't check since it's not here) and I'm going to be putting 11 gauges on it. I'm pretty sure the stock strings weren't 11 gauge, but I don't know. It didn't say what they were.

Thanks.
thank god i stick to tune-o-matic guitars!!!

Sustain > Whammy bar tricks
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
If you're tuning it to BEADGbe, I'd tune it as follows:
B, then e, then E, then b, then A, then G, then D.

You won't necessarily need another spring if you're going up a string gauge, but you'll probably have to adjust the tremolo springs in the back of the guitar until your tremolo is level. Also, most guitars are stock with .09, I believe.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Mathcorey
Also, how will I know if I'll need another spring in the back of my guitar? I'm pretty sure there is 2 in there (can't check since it's not here) and I'm going to be putting 11 gauges on it. I'm pretty sure the stock strings weren't 11 gauge, but I don't know. It didn't say what they were.

You might be able to do that by adjusting the claw, that's really more important that the number of springs. But 2 seems a bit on the low side, 3 is relatively common. I have 4 in both of my floyd-equipped guitars, a 6 with 10s and a 7 with 9s (I think, stock strings).
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by cobracarg

That was useless. Not to mention a good quality FR will have good sustain.

TS, you probably will need to add another spring if you're putting 11 gauge strings on and you only have 2 springs.
the order you tune in really doesn't matter much. you still have to go through it several times, some people just have techniques that they claim to be faster. personally i just go from low to high as many times as it takes.

if you've only got 2 springs in it, you will almost definitely need to add one when you switch to 11's. I'm surprised that only 2 springs works at all on a 7 string. my only floyded guitar has 3 and the claw in the back is pretty close to the wood.
Quote by cobracarg

I have both
And probably much more sustain than you.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
A good quality tune-o-matic would have more sustain than a good quality Floyd Rose
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Quote by DeanRedneck
the order you tune in really doesn't matter much. you still have to go through it several times, some people just have techniques that they claim to be faster. personally i just go from low to high as many times as it takes.

if you've only got 2 springs in it, you will almost definitely need to add one when you switch to 11's. I'm surprised that only 2 springs works at all on a 7 string. my only floyded guitar has 3 and the claw in the back is pretty close to the wood.

It's often recommended to tune from the outside going in, as always tuning high-to-low or low-to-high has been suspected to cause neck damage over time.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
My guitar sustains for the proper amount of time that I want it to.

And I really forget how many springs were in my guitar... Unless somebody can recall how many springs come in the Ibanez S7320.
Quote by Mathcorey
My guitar sustains for the proper amount of time that I want it to.

And I really forget how many springs were in my guitar... Unless somebody can recall how many springs come in the Ibanez S7320.

That's different. Ibanez S have the ZR system, you can't add springs to that. They always have 2 springs + the ZR springs.
Quote by Zhuriel
That's different. Ibanez S have the ZR system, you can't add springs to that. They always have 2 springs + the ZR springs.

Is that good or bad for my situation?
Quote by Justice4AllOne
It's often recommended to tune from the outside going in, as always tuning high-to-low or low-to-high has been suspected to cause neck damage over time.

i've got my doubts about that. i've got a couple guitars over 20 years old, and an acoustic i expect to be over 30 with no problems and i've always tuned top to bottom. i understand the theory behind this, i just dont think it's actually a danger.
Quote by DeanRedneck
i've got my doubts about that. i've got a couple guitars over 20 years old, and an acoustic i expect to be over 30 with no problems and i've always tuned top to bottom. i understand the theory behind this, i just dont think it's actually a danger.

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical too, hence the "it has been recommended," and "it's suspected that," bits :P
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne

That doesn't make sense. The uneven string tension will do much more damage to the neck than any way of tuning.
Quote by Zhuriel
That doesn't make sense. The uneven string tension will do much more damage to the neck than any way of tuning.

Like I've said, I'm a bit skeptical too, but I restring one-at-a-time, in that order *shrug*
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened