So, i've been waiting for months to get a guitar with a dual humbucker configuration.
I love the tone and feeling of my Strat, but for some things i always felt the need for a humbucker's "punch".

I have been in love with PRS's guitars ever since i had the opportunity to try a few, a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, my budget didn't allow me to own one, since both here in Portugal and the store in Germany i usually order stuff from they cost more than 700€.
So, as the moment to buy the new guitar approached, i tried lots and lots of guitars with fixed bridge and two humbuckers. Ibanez ARTs, ESP LTD ECs, Squier Custom Teles, Epiphone Les Pauls, Vintage (the brand) guitars... The list goes on and on.
But none had the feeling or the sound i wanted.
The PRS were stuck in my throat, and wouldn't come off easily. Too bad i couldn't afford one.

Then i (almost accidentaly!) found an UK online store that had the guitar i wanted.

Later, something was delivered in my house.
Hmmm... What could it be?

Let's open it up!

Paul Reed Smith...? YES! YES! OH YEAH!

Let's see which one!

A PRS SE Singlecut, with a Stoptail, in a Cherry Sunburst finish! Sexy!

Okay, first things first: the gigbag.
I'd prefer if it was black but hey, it was free, what can i do? This one is in a kind of "wine red". I must say, it's the best gigbag i ever seen.
I paid a lot when i bought a gigbag for my Strat because i wanted a safe one. The one i bought is a Stagg Deluxe gigbag, with a 30mm cushion.
The included PRS bag is even better than the Stagg i bought. I think only a hard case could be better. The front pocket could be a bit bigger, though. It can't fit an unfolded A4 sheet.

Now, the guitar. Its features are:
- Maple top with Flame Maple Veneer and binding;
- Mahogany back and neck;
- 22-fret rosewood fingerboard, wide fat, 25" scale, with moon inlays;
- PRS designed Stoptail and tuners;
- Nickel hardware;
- PRS treble and bass humbuckers;
- 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and a 3-way toggle pickup selector.

I heard many people talk about how they felt the wide fat neck was uncomfortable.
To me, the adaptation was instantaneous. Overall it has the same thickness of my Strat's neck, but since it's wider, i have more space to work. I can move my fingers a lot more freely in the PRS. Also, full chord transitions in the first few frets are much easier.

The body feels extremely comfortable. It's a bit lighter than it looks. With the strap on, it feels just perfect against my torso. It has a small contour in the back, not as big as the one in a Strat, but enough to not hurt against your ribs.
When played sitting in a chair, it has a tendency to slide off of my leg, because the bottom is large and heavy. But when sitting on a sofa, that doesn't happen.

The top is slightly carved: not flat as a SE Custom, but not a high-relief carve as the non-SE models. It looks gorgeous.
Another gorgeous thing are the moon inlays:

They're not the high-end PRS birds, but for me they are much more beautiful than dots, blocks, or sharktooth inlays.

I also really love the PRS headstock... 3 tuners per side, a modern but yet retro shape... Simply the best! Reminds me of the tailfins on old-school american cars:

The finish is flawless, from top to bottom. I went with the Cherry Sunburst, because i feel it's an instant classic. The cutout on the body really makes the access to the highest frets easier. The strap buttons are large, which actually makes it harder to put and remove the strap, but that gives me a feeling of security. I don't think i'll ever need to put straplocks on this beauty.

The controls are simple and effective, just how i like them. One master volume and one master tone, and the pickup selector switch are all i need. They are well placed. Especially the pickup selector switch. Close enough to have easy access, but in a place where i won't accidentaly hit it while playing.

Soundwise, this guitar is a dream come true for me. The sustain seems endless!
Playing unplugged, it has a deep and warm resonance.
The neck pickup sounds full and rich, with plenty of low-end. The clean tones are extremely warm. The bridge pickup is a lot brighter, and the sound is simply beautiful.
Unlike many humbuckers i tried before, these have a well-defined character. They don't sound "boomy" or dull.
I can get a huge variety of tones from this guitar, from blues to modern rock, punk to nu-metal, gothic to thrash metal...
But i must confess that i wanted this guitar for both progressive tones and full-out metal. Especially Opeth tones.
And i sure got them! Opeth clean tones come easy when i use the "Bright" switch on my Laney's clean channel, and i can get pretty close to their various distorted tones just with my Laney's Drive 2 channel. I don't even feel the need to use my distortion pedal. Think "In My Time Of Need", "Ending Credits", "April Ethereal", "The Grand Conjuration"... It delivers!

I'm extremely satisfied with it. I feel i got more than i paid for, and it surpassed all of my expectations. This is a top-quality guitar, and it makes me wonder, if SE guitars are like this, how does it feel to actually own a high-end one? (Playing them for a couple of minutes at a store doesn't count, in my book)
I feel this is a guitar that will last me a lifetime.
Now, i just have to find a plain black leather strap, and it's perfect! (The Framus strap i have on right now is just to keep me going until the new Planet Waves leather straps arrive.)

I leave you with the family shot, and, of course, the obligatory "grass shot".
Thanks for reading/watching/whatever!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
i love that finish! very nice, looks awesome. happy new guitar day!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Those inlays look like they're staring at me....

HNGD!
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Very nice! It was setup good straight from PRS?

The knobs bother me, but it looks really good.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Quote by Steve-Mo
Very nice! It was setup good straight from PRS?

The knobs bother me, but it looks really good.

Well, i think i have no reason to complain... The action is low, and i have no fret buzz.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Ah..never seen such a cheap guitar look so nice

I'd love to get a PRS one day...if that one had neck binding and two volume/two tone layout I'd be sold
Thanks y'all!

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I'd love to get a PRS one day...if that one had neck binding and two volume/two tone layout I'd be sold

Maybe like this one? Link
That one is even a little cheaper than the SE Singlecut.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
The pick up selector looks really out of place.
HNGD
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by Linkerman
Thanks y'all!

Maybe like this one? Link
That one is even a little cheaper than the SE Singlecut.

I'd love that if it was in a lovely sunburst like yours

Also...I think they might bring out Carved Top Custom 22/24 SEs soon since they discontinued the customs out at the moment...I live in hope
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I'd love that if it was in a lovely sunburst like yours

Also...I think they might bring out Carved Top Custom 22/24 SEs soon since they discontinued the customs out at the moment...I live in hope

If they do that, i know what my next guitar will be!

I'd really love to have a red tiger (or black cherry) Custom 22, also with Stoptail, with a carved top and bird inlays...
The SE Custom they discontinued, with its flat top, is too plain for my taste.
If they release a SE version, i'd be all over it! If not, i'll have to wait until i start working so i can afford a 2500€ Custom 22...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 9, 2010,
I'll have to read through all of that later, I'm collapsing in hunger here!

But I have to say it looks amazing!
I prefer the transparent blue colour they do (if they still do it?) but a nice classic sunburst there.
I love the PRS SE Singlecut, the ones I've tried have been dreamy!

Enjoy it!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'll have to read through all of that later, I'm collapsing in hunger here!

But I have to say it looks amazing!
I prefer the transparent blue colour they do (if they still do it?) but a nice classic sunburst there.
I love the PRS SE Singlecut, the ones I've tried have been dreamy!

Enjoy it!

Thanks!

And be sure to read it! I really enjoyed writing this review.

They discontinued the Blue Matteo and Whale Blue finishes on the SE models a while back, even before they discontinued the whole SE Custom line, but you can still find some online.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
HNGD!

Looks sick.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
HNGD Great thread, they should all be set out like that
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
My buddy just got an SE Custom 24 that he's pretty jazzed up over. PRS isn't my thing, but that's a nice guitar.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
My buddy just got an SE Custom 24 that he's pretty jazzed up over. PRS isn't my thing, but that's a nice guitar.

Thank you!

A friend of mine also ordered an SE Custom 24 on the same day i ordered this Singlecut, but from a different store, and it hasn't arrived yet. It's expected to be delivered by next week or the other.
He came to my house to try this Singlecut right after it was delivered, and i almost had to smack him in the head with a phone to get his hands off of it...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
HNGD

Oh, and is the German store you're talking about called 'Thomann'?....I'm just curious
Control your destiny.
Beautiful guitar man HNGD

And if you fancy a Custom with a carve, have a look on the used market for a CE22/24, basically a Custom with a bolt on neck. Best £900 I ever spent, still a fair outlaying but not bad compared to a Custom
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
..am I only person that thinks it's awkward that people put their guitars in their lawn to take pictures of it?

Nice guitar though,I'm pretty jealous, and I'm not even a fan of singlecut guitars
Quote by habits
HNGD

Oh, and is the German store you're talking about called 'Thomann'?....I'm just curious

Nope, it's "Music Store professional".
Usually they have the best prices, but the PRSs there are as expensive as in my local stores (700+ &euro.

Quote by im_bored
..am I only person that thinks it's awkward that people put their guitars in their lawn to take pictures of it?

Nice guitar though,I'm pretty jealous, and I'm not even a fan of singlecut guitars

Since everyone does it, i also did...
That's why i called it "the obligatory grass shot"!

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:
Btw, do you think i can take this review and submit it in the main site? (With the proper adjustments, of course.)
I put a lot of time and effort into this, and i think it's not bad at all...
Or since it's already here, i can't do it?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by im_bored
..am I only person that thinks it's awkward that people put their guitars in their lawn to take pictures of it?...

I don't like it either, but that's just a matter of taste, isn't it.

Quote by Linkerman
EDIT:
Btw, do you think i can take this review and submit it in the main site? (With the proper adjustments, of course.)
I put a lot of time and effort into this, and i think it's not bad at all...
Or since it's already here, i can't do it?

Sure why not?....I mean, if there isn't already a review submited you should be fine.
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Jan 10, 2010,
I actually hate you now

HNGD man, enjoy that PRS
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Very nice, although I would like it with trem myself. I have the Custom 22 in the exact same finish (thought it was that one when I saw the pics first ^^) and I love it. Although I like SC more as a model, but again, I'd want a SC with trem, which I don't think they make in SE format?
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Quote by Azunaii
Although I like SC more as a model, but again, I'd want a SC with trem, which I don't think they make in SE format?

Here you go: PRS SE Singlecut trem

Thanks everyone!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by habits
Sure why not?....I mean, if there isn't already a review submited you should be fine.

I just checked, and there are plenty of reviews about the SE Singlecut...

Could i be banned or receive a warning for submitting another review that is based off this post?
Or that won't be a problem since this one is part of an NGD thread, and not on the main site?

My main concern is that someone sees this as a "review cloning" of some sort...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112