My band is currently facing the issue. When covering famous soungs do you keep the solo or make it your own. What are your thoughts? The current song in issue is Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
on cover songs keep the solo but modify it a little bit
GEAR
Epiphone SG G 400
Marshall JH-1
Peavy Vyper
Marshall MG 10
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
Hartke A100
Quote by Black Paranoia
on cover songs keep the solo but modify it a little bit

This.
If you're band is playing covers of famous bands, most people want to hear the song they know.

Unless you're just doing the one cover, then feel free to do it however you'd like.

That's my take, anyway.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I don't care about the original solo
I don't play that many covers, anyway.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
thats what i was thinking, unfortunately my soloing is well.... not akin to Mick Mars in any way shape or form. Im way to bluesy. im having huge problems with the timing, rythms, etc.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
I think that you should try to play the rest of the song as close to the original as possible, do it justice. But the solo; however, should be an expression of your playing and style.
Quote by MightyAl
A girl is a mythical creature, somewhat akin to a unicorn, or chimera.
They don't really exist, but it would be cool if they did.
Quote by Vastros
thats what i was thinking, unfortunately my soloing is well.... not akin to Mick Mars in any way shape or form. Im way to bluesy. im having huge problems with the timing, rythms, etc.

Ironically, Mick Mars was a blues player who was converted.
honestly it doesn't really matter, you can go either way. my view is that each song is different and you have to decide which is better. for really popular songs, like sweet child o mine or livin on a prayer, ill keep the solos as close to the original as possible because with songs like that, the solos are more recognizable. on less popular songs i take liberties with the solos because you can basically play anything and people won't really know...
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Try and get a few memorable parts of the solo down, and the improvise the rest. I'm not familiar with that song - but if there are any noticeable bends or licks, then try and learn them. That's the easiest way I have found of staying true to the spirit of the solo, but having fun with it as well.
I can't think of a signature.
thats another issue, if the style of solo you're trying to cover doesn't really go with your style, then you by all means change it to fit your way of playing. not many people can pick out things like that, you dont really have to make up a new solo for the song, but change it a bit to fit your style and you'll be fine
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
My band is a Rock covers band so I appreciate your difficulty. What we do is use the two guitars in different ways. The other guitarist is a really good shredder so he simply lets rip and mostly improvises a shred based solo that is entirely his own. I simply can't play that fast so what I do is base my solo on the original but I don't usually play it exactly. Some solos are more iconic than others in my opinion so I play Paranoid exactly as it is on the original but on a long solo like 'Rock Bottom' by UFO I take the original solo as a starting point. I do follow it but to make it faster to learn, once I have the essence of a section in my head, I'll tend to just do my own thing with the same feel. I find that I stick more rigidly to the original in the slower sections and I'm more flexible in the faster, more complex sections. It seems to work for us as you have your own sound yet there is enough of the original song there to keep the audience happy.

I hope that makes sense.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Jan 9, 2010,
that really did.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
i like my own solos when i know the key...sometimes if the solo is easy i just learn it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtw8nIdM7k
Dime thats what im thinking of doing. For reference here is the solo. Keep it the same till after the first bends and then end with the temolo and tapping but improv in between there
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
I say, tak ethe song and make it your own. I personally don't like bands that boost their image by doing a complete rip-off cover. Like CAKE, for example. They covered War Pigs, but they made it their own. They made it a little bit more rhythm 'n' groove as opposed to heavy metal. They also changed the key it was played in, and the solo was played by a guy on trumpet. And it sounds really good.

So, my advice is to take the song and make it your own.
should i keep the tappy bit?
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by sglover34479
If it's simple enough, I keep it. Or at least the slow/melodic parts, the fast stuff, just improvise the same area of the fretboard.

you stilll gotta be in key, i`d keep the tapping....but if you can`t tap..then don`t try to at the gig, what you should be doing is writing your improv before hand to make sure it fits
writing your improv

Yeah, right. That would be called writing a new solo. You can't write improv, that's the definition of it.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by headfest88
honestly it doesn't really matter, you can go either way. my view is that each song is different and you have to decide which is better. for really popular songs, like sweet child o mine or livin on a prayer, ill keep the solos as close to the original as possible because with songs like that, the solos are more recognizable. on less popular songs i take liberties with the solos because you can basically play anything and people won't really know...

+1

This is how I do it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Dont know if its already been said or not but this is what I do. Pick out the key points to the solo such as the big bends, longer held out notes, etc, and keep those. The faster parts, if you cant play them or wanna change them up, nobody will notice too much. Just as long as the key points are the same. But if its a slow melodic solo, you should probably keep it the same, or just add a few extra notes for flair.
Quote by Vastros

The Dr. Feelgood solo uses the blues pentatonic and is full of cliché blues licks.

Mick Mars was a country/blues player who converted to a heavier style because of financial reasons, don't give us this bullshit.
what I do with most of my covers, I make them completely different. especially wit solos. example, Waking the Demon by BFMV, I'll stick pretty close to the original, but add a few improv leads for the hell of it. then when it comes to the solo, I'll do the main parts, but when it gets to fast for me to play cleanly in a band situation, I'll do an improv tap solo with the same notes in the same key. I'm still working on the original.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"