Title says it all. I have never really bothered looking with learning proper technique or anything. I have just grabbed some sheet music, and learned to play some songs. But I think I better start learning the proper ways right?

Anyway, yeah suggest me a good book! And a reason why it is worth getting would also be nice.
learn to play guitar books are worthless, watch technique related youtube videos or something like that.
i scream for ice cream
Look up Pebber Brown guitar books... He is probably the best person you can learn from if you want to get proper technique down, his mentor was Allan Holdsworth, so he knows what he is talking about when it comes to proper technique.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Try justinguitar.org for excellent video lessons and a very good beginners course, also video-based. Better than any book you'll come across.
Quote by demonofthenight
If I went to a jazz club and played a Parker solo note for note I'd have my fingers cut off by a stoned, big guy named Koo' Cat.
^^ This, he's better than most books, I think books are harder because there's no audio to help me, but that's my opinion.
Well, there are CDs in most of them, but for me when I was a beginner, they were just some bloke who was better than me rubbing it in by playing an G chord properly. Justinguitar features an actual person talking you through it all, and is the closest thing to a teacher you'll get.
Quote by demonofthenight
If I went to a jazz club and played a Parker solo note for note I'd have my fingers cut off by a stoned, big guy named Koo' Cat.
I've tried justinguitar, but I don't really like it.

Anyway, I am looking a BOOK, so please don't suggest youtube vids or anything. Sorry, but yeah. :P
I know it sounds like a scam, but I think that From Zero to Rock Hero in just 6 weeks is a really good book. It's packed with pictures and lots of lessons. There is even a section where the person who wrote the book reproduced the chorus of some really popular songs (Ride the Lightning, Smells Like Teen Spirit, ect.) and put them into both tab and notes for easy reading. But it's not just those things; it also teaches arpeggios, hammer-ons & pull-offs, how to tune, and how to pick your guitar, lead, amp, ect. It's a good book over all I think =3.

P.S.
It comes with a CD to listen to to see if you are doing the songs and practices right. Also, it's like $30 cuz it's hardcover.
Yea. Thats right. I called you a dumbass.
Alright, I'll look into some of the ones mentioned.

I was wondering if Fretboard Logic was any good. They advertise a lot in some of the mags I have, so just wondering.
Check your local library. Mine has lots of instruction books and videos for all levals. That way you can try a book out before you buy it. They have TAB books too . I love the library.