im looking for a wah pedal with smooth transitions and a larger range
my dunlop kh96 crybaby doesnt know the meaning of smooth and its range of motion is very limited
so 2 questions:

1) which wah do u recommend? i heard vox are smoother than crybabys, also saw a video proving this

2) i know i can get my pedal modded to have it more smooth, but can i change the insides with another pedal with a larger range of MOTION. like will i get the same sound of the KH96 in the body of another pedal, but with increased FREQUENCY range?
vox big bad wah

morley bad horsie

ibanez wh10v2

there`s is absolutly no point in swapping out the innards, it`s like asking if you should buy a ferrari just so you can take the engine out to fit it in a ford
Quote by ibanezgod1973
vox big bad wah

morley bad horsie

ibanez wh10v2

there`s is absolutly no point in swapping out the innards, it`s like asking if you should buy a ferrari just so you can take the engine out to fit it in a ford
Um... not really, in fact modding wahs is a very popular option and can be done cheaply. A simple resistor mod will give the wah a smoother transition. Can change the inducer as well, will give it a wider range. It would cost all about... $20 or so.

This isn't like taking a set of vintage PAFs and putting them into an Epiphone.
Quote by al112987
Um... not really, in fact modding wahs is a very popular option and can be done cheaply. A simple resistor mod will give the wah a smoother transition. Can change the inducer as well, will give it a wider range. It would cost all about... $20 or so.

This isn't like taking a set of vintage PAFs and putting them into an Epiphone.

I think he meant taking the whole circuitry out and put it into another shell.
ah... ok.

I would just suggest ot make a few simple mods. Switch out the stock inductor, change a few resistors, change the pot, install DPDT switch and wire for true bypass, remove the buffer, and there you go, $50-$60 will get you a far superior wah than anything else that you can buy at that price point.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think he meant taking the whole circuitry out and put it into another shell.

exactly what i thought

swapping pot`s and inductors i agree will help
Quote by al112987
ah... ok.

I would just suggest ot make a few simple mods. Switch out the stock inductor, change a few resistors, change the pot, install DPDT switch and wire for true bypass, remove the buffer, and there you go, $50-$60 will get you a far superior wah than anything else that you can buy at that price point.

but the pedal is made with specific eq and other adjustments to get close to kirk hammets sound, will i lose that by doing all these mods?
yep, but let me ask you this...

Did Kirk Hammett every actually use this wah to record any of Metallica's classic albums or use this wah during any of Metallica's major tours back in the day?

Are you actually getting Kirk Hammett's tones with that wah as it is? (I highly doubt it unless you have the same gear as him, take a wah and put it through a Marshall, that same wah is not going to sound the same putting it in through a Mesa)

Also, yes, changing the sweep of the wah is going to change the tone of the wah. That's the point.
TS, which amp are you using?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You don't want your sweep range to be TOO wide. You'll end up with the wah sound going from completely muffled and almost disappearing with the pedal rocked all the way back, to a piercing, glassy racket with the rocker all the way forward.

TOO smooth is not really something I dig, either. I like for there to be a breaking point where the sound goes from "wohhh" to "ahhh".

I have all the suggested mods done to my GCB-95, and to be honest I don't really like it. I think it's too smooth and it's impossible to get the range I want, because if I adjust the sweep pot in one direction, The high is too low and the low is WAY too low, and if i adjust it even a notch in the other direction, the high end is far too glassy.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
The Colorsound Inductorless wah has one of the smoothest and longest sweeps out there, awesome pedal. I hunted around for mine for ages but I might be selling it because i'm getting the lovetone meatball soon.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by ConfederateAxe
1. You don't want your sweep range to be TOO wide. You'll end up with the wah sound going from completely muffled and almost disappearing with the pedal rocked all the way back, to a piercing, glassy racket with the rocker all the way forward.

2. TOO smooth is not really something I dig, either. I like for there to be a breaking point where the sound goes from "wohhh" to "ahhh".

I have all the suggested mods done to my GCB-95, and to be honest I don't really like it. I think it's too smooth and it's impossible to get the range I want, because if I adjust the sweep pot in one direction, The high is too low and the low is WAY too low, and if i adjust it even a notch in the other direction, the high end is far too glassy.

1. A good example for that too wide sweep range is the ZW wah IMO.

2. +1
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
1. A good example for that too wide sweep range is the ZW wah IMO.

2. +1

Yeah that's basically what mine sounds like, the ZW wah, and whereas it works and has some cool sounds, it's not really good for Voodoo Child or anything Slash-related.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.