Hey everybody,

I've just recently bought a decent condenser mic and an audio interface and I'm dying to get some nice recordings done. However, I need some information first. Just the basic facts.

I have purchased the same condenser microphone that my teacher at school has. I have tested it out there and was very impressed with the sound quality. However, I do not know how to get out the same sounds as him. When I practiced at school, I got a very warm, roomy, bassy sound. Both guitar and vocals sounded absolutely marvellous. I have just set my stuff up and the sound that I get is very dry and simple. So I would like to get some advice on how to achieve the tones that I had at school.

I remember that when I was trying it out at school, the mildest tap on the table would get recorded, even if it was 50 centimeters away from the microphone. But when I would sing or play guitar in front of the microphone, it would not be too loud or get distorted and still sound amazing. I know I'm a newbie so I dont know the proper terms for it yet, so I hope some of you might understand what i'm trying to go for here.

In short: My recordings (both guitar and vocals) sound very flat and one-dimensional. Adding reverb does not exactly fix it. Maybe it has to do with the microphone levels? I already have them set at the highest possible without having it distort/clip. I really would love to be able to record that very intimate, acoustic/vocal sound that makes it seem like you are sitting next to the recording artist.

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Reverb & Compression is what you need.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Oh by the way, I also use Adobe Audition. I "acquired" it. I'll upload a sample, gimme a minute.

I uploaded Creep to my profile. It doesnt sound that bad, I added just a tiny bit of reverb, but I really would like a more personal sound, I can't really explain it that well. I want to have that intimate sound with just the acoustic and a singer you know.

Also, my vocals are a tad bit off at some parts. Please just focus on the sound of the mic and stuff.

*Edit*
My interface also has a preamp if correctly.
Last edited by Jehuty at Jan 9, 2010,
Maybe they have a preamp at your school.

But from mixing some demo recordings on my laptop at home, I have gathered some experience.

First you have to find a EQ'setting you like. You can read a lot about EQ'ing on the web. Personally i like to raise the Low bass, Low midst and the way highest frequensies (18KHz - 20KHz). While lowering the mids and high mids.

Mild compression also gives warmth to your sound.
What you also can do is, to apply different EQ settings and compressions on multiple layers of the same same audio track.

Mess around with the Reverb settings, until you find something you like. Also a sligth time difference - about 5 ms - on two or more of the same audio tracks also gives dimension to your sound.

The world of mixing and recording is somekind of a playground. Experiment until you find something you like.

A friend of mine runs his digital recordings through a tube yamaha mixer from the 70's to get caracteristic sound.
If you want it more 'intimate', use a lower gain on the mic so you can get right up to it and breath into it, then use quite a bit of compression. You might want to "aqquire" a nice compressor like Pro-C or something

Just use a room preset or something for the reverb, nothing to much. The more reverb, the less personal.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Well, to get a roomy sound you need a room!

What kind of environment were you recording in at school versus your house?

I'm willing to bet the room at school was either treated or originally designed acoustically. A little room treatment can go a long way in your recording chain.

Welcome to the addiction.

Also, preamps/compressors/converters/everythinginthechain have effects on the audio.

Your recording of creep isn't bad at all. A little compression (very little) and EQ on the guitar would help it even more.

Your voice is perfect for whatever mic you are using. It isn't in the AT30xx or at40xx series is it? I'm kinda getting that vibe, but I could be way off.

What else is in your signal chain?
Your recording sounds pretty good - if anything I'd say your guitar sounds a little dead - did you put new strings on it before recording? That can make a fairly big difference. Other than that, a touch of reverb & compression & it would sound pretty good. Also with the vocals, as someone mentioned - set the mic gain so you can sing right into the mic, and then compress quite heavily & add a nice convolution reverb.

What mic & interface are you using? That could be helpful to know.

2 side notes -
1. you have some serious talent! I generally dislike most radiohead covers because very few people have a voice that can do them justice - but I honestly enjoyed yours a lot.
2. your vocal recording sounded a little clicky at times - this generally happens when there's too much saliva in your mouth. Eating a green apple usually clears this up (along with drinking plenty of room temperature water, which should always be done when recording vocals).
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I enjoyed Creep a lot. I think definitely maybe fresh strings, and yeah work with mixing reverb into your master FX so your acoustic and voice both seem to be in the same room.

I'm very new to recording myself, so I wish i had more to offer, but I thought your levels were good and the singing was good.

please crit mine
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258657
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Quote by MrJulius

What kind of environment were you recording in at school versus your house?

I'm willing to bet the room at school was either treated or originally designed acoustically. A little room treatment can go a long way in your recording chain.

Welcome to the addiction.

Also, preamps/compressors/converters/everythinginthechain have effects on the audio.

Your recording of creep isn't bad at all. A little compression (very little) and EQ on the guitar would help it even more.

Your voice is perfect for whatever mic you are using. It isn't in the AT30xx or at40xx series is it? I'm kinda getting that vibe, but I could be way off.

What else is in your signal chain?

I very seriously doubt that the school room was treated acoustically. We are a pretty cheap school so I really don't think so. The mic I use is a pretty unknown brand. It's a Takstar SM-10B-M. And the audio interface, same story really. It's a Midiplus Audiolink Pro. My signal chain? Well. Condenser mic > Audio Interface > Computer. Then after the recording I added a small amount of reverb, an Adobe Audition preset.

Quote by Sonny_sam
Your recording sounds pretty good - if anything I'd say your guitar sounds a little dead - did you put new strings on it before recording? That can make a fairly big difference. Other than that, a touch of reverb & compression & it would sound pretty good. Also with the vocals, as someone mentioned - set the mic gain so you can sing right into the mic, and then compress quite heavily & add a nice convolution reverb.

What mic & interface are you using? That could be helpful to know.

2 side notes -
1. you have some serious talent! I generally dislike most radiohead covers because very few people have a voice that can do them justice - but I honestly enjoyed yours a lot.
2. your vocal recording sounded a little clicky at times - this generally happens when there's too much saliva in your mouth. Eating a green apple usually clears this up (along with drinking plenty of room temperature water, which should always be done when recording vocals).

Well, I recorded both guitar and vocals at the same time so the mic is not exactly focused on the guitar. I'll try recording both separately. Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it. I've been trying to work up some self esteem with my vocals cause its my dream to sing in front of an audience. I know I can do a bit better than in the recording you've heard though. Didn't exactly warm up or anything. Also, thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. I also don't have a pop filter yet so I'll probably purchase one soon.

Quote by ntchode
I enjoyed Creep a lot. I think definitely maybe fresh strings, and yeah work with mixing reverb into your master FX so your acoustic and voice both seem to be in the same room.

I'm very new to recording myself, so I wish i had more to offer, but I thought your levels were good and the singing was good.

please crit mine
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258657

Same to you, thanks for the compliment. I will give your stuff a listen as soon as I can. I'm in the middle of a hectic school time so I'll have to find some time for it.

To everyone in general:
Thanks for much for all the tips. As soon as I can I will start playing around with it and I am looking forward to hearing the results. If anyone is interested, I will upload a new try when I've made one. It might not be for a couple days/weeks at max though. Like I said, school's a bitch.

Thanks everyone, and take care. If anyone has anything else to add, I would appreciate it. I definitely have a lot of new tips and information now to start experimenting with the sounds.
Last edited by Jehuty at Jan 10, 2010,