I've been home on winter break for about 3 weeks now, thus I have had a lot of free time to play guitar, write, practice. If you have had even a small encounter on this site, then you should know that I have a pretty...extensive...rig; however, I haven't really been playing through it. Lately, I have been grabbing the trusty ol' acoustic and experimenting with inversions, different voicings, and new scales. I've actually written new, complete songs (something I haven't done in forever) and have really focused on doing interesting rhythm things, rather than focusing on leads. I guess I needed to get away from the GearPage approved rig for a bit and go back to the basics in order to spark creativity and remember why I play guitar.

My rig for tonight is probably going to be the Martin, the Reeves, the tele, a fuzz, and the Whammy.

Also, I have been really into Death Cab for Cutie, the Flaming Lips, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and the White Stripes recently....

Does anyone else step away from their normal rigs occasionally in order to spark some new ideas?
sometimes it's nice just to plug your amp and crank it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
whilst i have pedals that always stay in my rig i introduce/remove what i do/don`t need at that time.

there`s no point for recording/writing purposes having stuff in the chain that you don`t intend using.

there`s a drawer in my studio/study full of stomp boxes going right back to the late 80s...some will never be used again some will come out for a play every once in a while. nowadays though pedals are more versatile making some of the older stuff obsolete........

i guess it`s the old adage "the never ending quest in the pursuit of perfect tone"
A lot of the time there are many distractions that get in the way of creativity. If you don't do this already I suggest you turn off all the stupid electronics (tv, computer, ipod ect.), get somewhere quiet and just play.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
whilst i have pedals that always stay in my rig i introduce/remove what i do/don`t need at that time.

there`s no point for recording/writing purposes having stuff in the chain that you don`t intend using.

there`s a drawer in my studio/study full of stomp boxes going right back to the late 80s...some will never be used again some will come out for a play every once in a while. nowadays though pedals are more versatile making some of the older stuff obsolete........

i guess it`s the old adage "the never ending quest in the pursuit of perfect tone"

Don't get me wrong, the rack is incredible and will not be going anywhere. However, I feel like it had become more of a tool and less of an instrument. My live tone had become too polished, if you know what I mean (although I CAN reproduce some of the most famous/ revered guitar tones with the push of a button and working the volume/tone controls).

I guess I really just needed to figure out how to make MY music emotional for me again. I spent so long writing and playing for other people that I music had become just a series of notes to me. I'm excited for tonight. It will be me on guitar, a bass/ keys player, and a drummer doing a basement show in my hometown.
Quote by kr1stians
A lot of the time there are many distractions that get in the way of creativity. If you don't do this already I suggest you turn off all the stupid electronics (tv, computer, ipod ect.), get somewhere quiet and just play.

I should just do that too... this post being best proof of the need to do just that ^^

Though I don't have much to choose from, I occasionally plug in my good old Spider3 to get those quite different tones. Remember, sometimes a very simple piece of hardware sounds better than any high end professional gear, though usually not. =)

I think, that today I'm just going to shut down the PC and not put it in stand by. I could use a break.

Greetings
Decryphe
cool, enjoy the gig.

this is why i HATE amp modellers, it`s not "your" tone it`s been concieved in a electronic chip factory, i much prefer analogue stompboxes over racks and multifx (even though you can select individual effects) you just don`t know what exactly the DSP is doing.

in terms of finding your own playing.....you`ve gotta record everything you play during your own practice routine.....that way when you get your groove on at least you`ve got a record of what you`ve done (video is best that way you can see what you played-don`t play to the camera just have it recording) even if it just a simple motif that you want to develop later.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jan 9, 2010,