Hey guys, I started quite a few threads these days to find my amp I need. So I brought it all down to Vox. But which Vox?? I need to choose between the VT-15 Valvetronix.... OR the Vox AC4TV.

What do you guys recommend? I play classic rock like cream and AC/DC and stuff like that and also Guns N' Roses. All those good classic riffs and stuff like that from classic rock.

So can you guys help me? I think that the AC4TV has some great tone. And also one thing to mention. I would be getting the 8'' AC4TV because I can' afford the 10''.

So tell me what you guys think!
Equipment

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Vox Night Train + Avatar 212
Looking for pedals!
Don't get any amp with an 8" speaker, unless you've previously played it and liked it.

10" or 12" is what I personally recommend you use.
Which means get the Valvetronix.
But if you can get the 10" AC4TV, get it.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Don't get any amp with an 8" speaker, unless you've previously played it and liked it.

10" or 12" is what I personally recommend you use.
Which means get the Valvetronix.
But if you can get the 10" AC4TV, get it.

Anything wrong with 8''?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Get the AC4TV, regardless of speaker size, the tone is much better than the Valvetronix by miles.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Get the AC4TV, regardless of speaker size, the tone is much better than the Valvetronix by miles.

Yeah, I didn't think that speaker size would change tone.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Gibson74
Yeah, I didn't think that speaker size would change tone.

It does, massively. But go for the AC4TV, no question really. It'll be just as loud as the VT, and the tone will be much better, especially for the genres you play.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
it does, but not enough to make the valvetronix a better option.

neither is really loud enough to gig with, so you're best off just buying the one that sounds better (the AC4tv)
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
It does, massively. But go for the AC4TV, no question really. It'll be just as loud as the VT, and the tone will be much better, especially for the genres you play.

So would the 8'' be good for me? I play all the stuff I said MOST OF THE TIME... however not all the time.

But like I said maybe the hardest I go is AC/DC or light Metallica like "Nothing Else matter"

Most of time classic rock and blues like I said haha. And the song that I love playing... Smooth by Santana (lol sorry off topic.)

Also I'm not looking for loudness here to be honest.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Last edited by Gibson74 at Jan 9, 2010,
Well, to get a real cranked AC/DC tone you'd probably need a pedal - honeslty I think I'd try a compressor before an OD. for the metallica you would need an OD though. AC4 is a good way to go. If you're getting the 8" then at some point in the future you might want to buy the 1x12" extension cab and hook them up. Also, if you can, go into a smaller store which have them. They'll let your bargain and you might be able to get the 10" model for a good price, especially just before Vox bring out a load more stuff at NAMM.
Yeah, I do here but I'm not sure if they negotiate.. I know they price match though. But that wouldn't help because the 10'' is too expensive and can barely afford the 8'' haha.

So I should go with the vox 8''?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by Gibson74
So would the 8'' be good for me? I play all the stuff I said MOST OF THE TIME... however not all the time.

But like I said maybe the hardest I go is AC/DC or light Metallica like "Nothing Else matter"

Most of time classic rock and blues like I said haha. And the song that I love playing... Smooth by Santana (lol sorry off topic.)

Also I'm not looking for loudness here to be honest.

yeah, The AC4 will have enough dirt for AC/DC and Santana. you might want to get a cheap od, like a bad monkey or a Danelectro overdrive, to push it into metal territory.

I think it has enough gan on tap, but different strokes different folks, eh?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
yeah, The AC4 will have enough dirt for AC/DC and Santana. you might want to get a cheap od, like a bad monkey or a Danelectro overdrive, to push it into metal territory.

I think it has enough gan on tap, but different strokes different folks, eh?

Haha, yea.. seems like I settled. So I'm going to my local music shop and either buy one there or online but I'm going to try it out to see how's everything.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Thanks alot man! I can't wait to get it and test that thing out!
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
I have an AC4TV. It's pretty nice, some really good dirty tones out of it, as well as cleans and dirty cleans. But it doesn't take pedals very well past a certain volume, neither do the Valvetronixes.
Do you have 10''?
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I have an AC4TV. It's pretty nice, some really good dirty tones out of it, as well as cleans and dirty cleans. But it doesn't take pedals very well past a certain volume, neither do the Valvetronixes.

I'll admit I don't own one, but I turned it up pretty high when I tried it (both models) and it took pedals fine!
Alright, I was worried since I can't find anyone with an 8''... I don't know why. But according to what you say its still good correct compared to the 10''? I just need to make sure
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
haha ok cool. Im going to look at it either tomorrow or after.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
I owned the VT15 and sold it to buy the AC4TV. I found that I love the overdriven tones and really disliked the SS sound of the VT15 even if it was good for what it's suppose to do.

The down sides of the AC4TV: Needed to buy a reverb pedal and an EQ pedal to get nicer tones.
I mainly play blues, but I bought two fuzz pedals to get more gain. The gain has it's limits but on the 1/4 watts it has some more compression and you can get a bit heavier tones. The tones are pretty limited. I was short on money. What I did is buy stuff over about a year. Now it's in my opinion 4 times better than the VT15 I had.

The things I like about the amplifier: Great overdriven tones. I love british voiced amplifiers. I like it's simplicity and the cabinet output might come very handy soon enough since I want to buy a nice cabinet.

Sorry for my bad English, I speak French.
Like I said in the other post you could consider buying the AC4TV head and then a bigger speaker separately if you don't already have any sort of cab.
I really liked the 10" version. For anything up to classic rock it sounds amazing for the price.

Above that I think you'd need overdrive pedals at least and even then I'm not sure how it would sound.
Ok guys, I can't afford the 10''! I want to but I can't. So I was interested in the 8''. I think it's pretty good to be honest and I really like their tone.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
the 8 inch has a speaker out. upgrade to a 112 cab later if you want or a 212 then upgrade the amp later when you need to. The VT is great for modeling but it's a one stop train there.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Actually the 8" ones have a reputation for being kind of boxy and shitty.

Pretty much.

8" speakers lack bass, and don't sound open. Not what I'd use if I was playing classic rock.

But, please, at least try it in a shop first before you buy it!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
the 8" will be fine. When you get more money you could buy an extension cab. However, it might be worthwhile saving a little longer to get the 10" instead of thinking 'what if?' or not being as into the amp as you might have been with bigger speaker version.

Townshendit: Both the 8" and the 10" have speaker outs, but for a few weeks extra saving the 10" is worth it.
Last edited by Matt-92 at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Matt-92
the 8" will be fine. When you get more money you could buy an extension cab. However, it might be worthwhile saving a little longer to get the 10" instead of thinking 'what if?' or not being as into the amp as you might have been with bigger speaker version.

Townshendit: Both the 8" and the 10" have speaker outs, but for a few weeks extra saving the 10" is worth it.

Ok, I'll see what I can do here. I'm still not sure. I'm going to guitar center today to try them out. Both the 10'' and the 8''. I'm going to see if it's worth the 10'' since they have them both. If I feel not a big difference in tone and stuff like that.... I'll see if I can save up for the 10''.

I'll keep you guys updated when I get back.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
I say AC4, if the warm tube tone doesn't sell you, then check your head.
That being said, I've heard that if you're going to run any effects with an AC4 or AC15 there's a small Britecap mod that needs to be done, if you wnt to look into that.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by Gibson74
Ok guys, I can't afford the 10''! I want to but I can't. So I was interested in the 8''. I think it's pretty good to be honest and I really like their tone.

The 8 inch model is hardly any cheaper though. Just wait a little longer until you can afford the 10". A good EXT cab will set you back $150 or so at least.
Ok guys so I tested the 8'' inch at guitar center today. I liked it but it was kind of muddy like you guys had said. But still nice. So I decided that I would be better off here to wait a bit to get the 10''. I feel like it's a good decision. I think it will be worth it and I will be more happy with it.

Even lots of you said to wait to get the 10''.

So why not? Haha
Equipment

Looking for pedals!