they're shit...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Jan 9, 2010,
Yasuko Onuki, vocalist from japanese noise rock band Melt Banana has more balls than any male metal singer I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsiht-Be_Rg
last.fm
"If I could prove by logic that you would die in five minutes, I should be sorry you were going to die, but my sorrow would be very much mitigated by pleasure in the proof."
G.H. Hardy
some good, some bad
same as male metal singers
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Leilindel from UneXpect and Nehl Aelin of Akphaezya do it for me (even though Akphaezya's more rock/fusion than metal. Meh!).

UneXpect - Chromatic Chimera (I couldn't find an audio clip for Summoning Scenes =[)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbEi1JRa7w&feature=related

Akphaezya - Reflections
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imMQIHN9Npc

I'm more into singing and quirkiness than growls nowadays And to be honest, I'm starting to prefer female vox over male vocals by a longshot.

To the comment about it being a hit or a miss - same as anything. There is good and there is bad, but in the end it's all subjective - I'd say most people wouldn't like Akphaezya too much, but I love her voice throughout their discography. It's all preference.
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by juckfush
Leilindel from UneXpect and Nehl Aelin of Akphaezya do it for me (even though Akphaezya's more rock/fusion than metal. Meh!).

UneXpect - Chromatic Chimera (I couldn't find an audio clip for Summoning Scenes =[)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbEi1JRa7w&feature=related

Akphaezya - Refelctions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imMQIHN9Npc

I'm more into singing and quirkiness than growls nowadays And to be honest, I'm starting to prefer female vox over male vocals by a longshot.

To the comment about it being a hit or a miss - same as anything. There is good and there is bad, but in the end it's all subjective - I'd say most people wouldn't like Akphaezya too much, but I love her voice throughout their discography. It's all preference.

omg. that is some uncommon stuff... first one is to "crack your brains", second has very unusual vocal. i like it. but in general it's OMG

it is terrible... imo. spoiled girl
Last edited by vict at Jan 9, 2010,
Haha, cheers! I'm really digging experimental and avant-garde music at the moment, so these two bands are doing wonders for me

I'd say after a few listens of them though, that's when the real appreciation starts - all the awkward and quirky things become the most appealing, at least for me.
If you like Akphaezya, maybe check out the rest of the Anthology II album? Chrysalis (which is incredible!) has some jazzier sections, and The Golden Vortex of Kaltaz is much more driving, and heavier. The vocalist also has her own myspace (much more poppy), and some videos are uploaded of a couple covers, as well as some audio of originals. Check it out!

Alex

EDIT: I made a typo in my earlier post! O.o *Goes back to fix it*
Alright, so they have just as much potential as male singers? Sounds good but what do you think about girls singing Thrash Metal? like Slayer, Exodus, Metallica, Megadeth
Don't Tread On Me!
I personally think it would be great to hear a female voice and timbre in that sort of music, as a break from the norm, and something genuinely different and experimental.

Regardless of whether her voice would sound ''rough'' or ''jagged'' - as in most famed thrash - it would be really cool to hear a female timbre; and rather, to hear anything that strays away from standard structures and guidelines. But I guess I'm just really into that sort of stuff It's all preference, and I'm sure there will be some significantly contrasting views posted.
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by Keth

Holy balls!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
OTEP
ARCH ENEMY
IN THIS MOMENT
THE AGONIST

all metalbands with girl singers and i love them (like would kill people to meet them)
(I find them amazing... but i have a weakness for girls that can sing(or scream) especially when its thrown over a nice heavy guitar
(otep and in this moment the best)
Last edited by A6stringrythm at Jan 16, 2010,
It's not about gender 'potential' or something man, a girl can do the same screams and growls that a guy can (Assuming they're an alto or lower).
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Well I think if the girls' voice is good then idc but I have yet to hear a female metal vocalist that I liked so in general I don't think their very good. Unless they have such an unnatural voice that they sound like a man (I mean really like a man not just a low voice) I don't really get that same feeling. You know the feeling you get when your just listening to music on your ipod or something and you just feel the need to headbang but then you realize your at work and people would like at you funny.
I was going to inquire about this anyway, so hopefully this little act of necromancy will be a better alternative to making a new thread. Do you guys know of any power metal bands with female vocalists? I'm not talking about Nightwish style power metal, I mean the likes of Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Dragonforce, etc. If not, how do you think that would work out? My band has been debating trying a sound like that.
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor (3.20 GHz)

Reaper
Quote by SnowKitty
I was going to inquire about this anyway, so hopefully this little act of necromancy will be a better alternative to making a new thread. Do you guys know of any power metal bands with female vocalists? I'm not talking about Nightwish style power metal, I mean the likes of Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Dragonforce, etc. If not, how do you think that would work out? My band has been debating trying a sound like that.

I've never heard of a "true" power metal band with a female vocalist, but that's probably because power metal vocalists usually use enough falsetto to sound like girls anyways.

Tarja Turunen is one of the best examples of female metal vocalists.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by vict
it is terrible... imo. spoiled girl

What does being spoiled have to do with it? She's spoiled because she does harsh vocals?
Quote by SnowKitty

Just audition a female singer. If it sounds good, cool. If not, then go with someone else.