Can the pit give some rough idea on how long it would take for a record to be unlistenable? And maybe give me some tips on how to increase that period of time? Thanks.

EDIT: Another thing, I got a sony turntable, do I need anything else? Records aint arrived yet, I know I sound like a noob but I really got no idea. I've heard things about a cartridge?? Idk, help please :P
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
Last edited by extrememetal94 at Jan 9, 2010,
Well, we still have my grandfathers records and they are over 55 years old, and we still isten to them. Just take care of them and keep them tightly packed up together, or flat so that they don't bend.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I have vinyls from the 70's that are still perfectly fine.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
a shitload longer than wax cylinders.
last.fm
"If I could prove by logic that you would die in five minutes, I should be sorry you were going to die, but my sorrow would be very much mitigated by pleasure in the proof."
G.H. Hardy
Quote by DieGarbageMan
forever

Really? . I thought that as near impossible..
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
quite a while, if you take care of them and don't scratch them and things. The quality does deteriorate slightly with playing, but only a little. Not noticably for the first quite a few playings (how many depends on you're player I'd imagine).
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Entirely depends how often you play them.

So that 'period of time' is incredibly variable and thus there is no answer.
I don't know how long they last but I have records in my collection that were pressed in the 60s so they last a while. The main thing is to take care of them be sure to buy a dust brush and use it with every use. As for what else you'll it really depends on your record player, if it is new and has a speaker built in you are good to go for now, if it is used it would probably be in your best interest to get a new cartridge for it. If you are connecting it to speakers you need a preamp for it.
One likes to believe in the freedom of music

But glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity
Some records of my dad's vinyl collection are over 40 years old and the sound is still crisp.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
They get worse each time you play them. You're effectively dragging a needle across ridges which create the sound. They wear down (slowly), with each play. People say the sound quality is better though, because it's true analog sound, unlike digital music (CD, MP3).
Quote by mort1
know im in the wrong forum
im not stupid........... duh
if you havent notised there is alot of ignorant people here,,,,,,,
Quote by likesilverr
They get worse each time you play them. You're effectively dragging a needle across ridges which create the sound. They wear down (slowly), with each play. People say the sound quality is better though, because it's true analog sound, unlike digital music (CD, MP3).

The little "scratchy" sound with old vinyls adds so much to the feel of music. Especially old jazz, blues and classical music.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by CDNRoycer
I don't know how long they last but I have records in my collection that were pressed in the 60s so they last a while. The main thing is to take care of them be sure to buy a dust brush and use it with every use. As for what else you'll it really depends on your record player, if it is new and has a speaker built in you are good to go for now, if it is used it would probably be in your best interest to get a new cartridge for it. If you are connecting it to speakers you need a preamp for it.

So if it's new, i shouldnt have to buy anything for it, unless i'm connecting to speakers? yes?
Quote by vivalasteve
Quote by extrememetal94
So if it's new, i shouldnt have to buy anything for it, unless i'm connecting to speakers? yes?

it depends, does it have speakers bult into it, or is it a standalone record player?

edit: Shaun of the Dead FTW \/

Last edited by jgbsmith at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by jgbsmith
it depends, does it have speakers bult into it, or is it a standalone record player?

edit: Shaun of the Dead FTW \/

built in
Quote by vivalasteve
Quote by likesilverr
People say the sound quality is better though, because it's true analog sound, unlike digital music (CD, MP3).

Big word(s): people say. It's all personal preference. Hell to me some songs sound exactly the same on vinyl than CD besides the ssssss sound. It all depends on the album. Some albums like GNR's Appetite for Destruction and Nirvana's Nevermind sound half a step higher than the CD version. Some like Green Day albums sound completely different.
Quote by extrememetal94
built in

then yeah, you're set.

Quote by jgbsmith
then yeah, you're set.

Nice that makes it alot easier, just the turntable, and the records. Easy.
Quote by vivalasteve
I have heard that the best way to prolong the life of your vinyl is to only play 'em once every 24 hours, the reason being that when the needle goes over the grooves the first time it heats them up, so if you play it again without waiting then it deteriorates them much faster. But I know dudes who've still got records from the forties that still sound pretty damn nice, so I wouldn't worry. They'll probably outlast you.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by jgbsmith
then yeah, you're set.

Also,should I bother cleaning them? what i use, how often?
Quote by vivalasteve
Quote by extrememetal94

I don't, but I'm lazy and almost all of my records are second hand and already in pretty poor condition anyway. I'd imagine a soft dry lint free cloth or something of the like.

Quote by extrememetal94

I've found that the cleaner and cloth used for cleaning glasses works quite well.
You don't have to do it often.
I have lp's that are close to 60 years old that play just fine. Actually I have thousands of lp's that all play just fine.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.