I have my action on my JEM7VWH to about 1.8mm from the 24th fret. I notice a lot of buzzing all over the place. I then measured the neck bow and it's about .279mm (.011") at the 7th fret.

Should I get some more bow in my neck?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Wow I was setting up my Jackson Soloist- buzzez on the high E on every fret- It was at 2mm at the 24th fret, I ran it up to 4 mm and still was the same.

How did you check your bow? I would like to compare them.
Quote by R45VT
Wow I was setting up my Jackson Soloist- buzzez on the high E on every fret- It was at 2mm at the 24th fret, I ran it up to 4 mm and still was the same.

How did you check your bow? I would like to compare them.

Hold fret one or put a capo on it. Then hold the 24th fret. Once they are both down use something like a feeler gauge to get in between the string and the 7th fret. Measure.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
You can not go by just numbers, every guitar is different, if you dont know what you are doing then give it to someone who does.
Quote by sstony
You can not go by just numbers, every guitar is different, if you dont know what you are doing then give it to someone who does.

Everyone likes there setup differently.

Dont automatically assume either of us know squat. I just wanted to compare.

I was just curious how he measured it. I normally eyeball it. I fret mine the same way and look. I just look around the 12th fret normally.

I bought a bolt on neck Jackson dinky for 200 bucks off craigslist that came with a case- good deal. Every bolt was loose on the guitar, I mean EVERY bolt, plus the neck was bowed. I set it up and tightened everything. Plays amazing with no buzz or any issues.
I usually eyeball it. I hold the low E down on the first fret and on the fret where the neck meets the body and see how much space there is in between the string and the frets around the 7th-9th frets. I usually like it to have only a tiny sliver of space.

If the relief in the neck looks fine and the strings are buzzing all over the place, it's usually a problem with the bridge height, not the neck (as a general rule, buzzing all up and down the string usually means you need to raise the bridge). Since you have a double-locking trem, I'd block the trem with something (I've used folded cardboard before) and then loosen the strings until they're completely slack and turn the bridge posts a quarter to half a turn counter-clockwise. String it back up, re-tune it and re-adjust the bridge so that it's the correct height off the body, and check to see if the strings are still buzzing. You don't need to re-lock it, you just need the bridge to be in the right place and the guitar to be in the tuning you usually have it in.

If it's still buzzing everywhere, repeat. At a certain point, it should be high enough that the buzzing mostly or completely goes away. Buzzing in a few, specific areas could mean you have a low fret or two. If there's too little relief or even backbow, there will probably be buzzing on the first 5 frets or so. If the neck is warped or humped in any area, finding the problem gets much harder, but it's a well-made neck so I doubt it'll be that serious.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by R45VT
Everyone likes there setup differently.

Dont automatically assume either of us know squat. I just wanted to compare.

I was just curious how he measured it. I normally eyeball it. I fret mine the same way and look. I just look around the 12th fret normally.

I bought a bolt on neck Jackson dinky for 200 bucks off craigslist that came with a case- good deal. Every bolt was loose on the guitar, I mean EVERY bolt, plus the neck was bowed. I set it up and tightened everything. Plays amazing with no buzz or any issues.

I agree you can not set every guitar up the same, they are different & some may require a little more neck relief then another and string hight and so on. Alot of people try to set their strings as low as they can, but tht does´nt always work. I did´nt nean to come off as if you dont know what you are doing, I was just saying if you dont then you know it´s better to take it to someone who does and let them show you how it´s done.
Yeah, I have it blocked but I see people on jemsite using theirs at like 1.6mm from the 24th fret. That's ridiculous. I'm just gonna try to get it setup at about 2mm. I just saw a review on a jem and it said about .3-4 relief in the neck is good. Gonna try that I guess.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Yeah, I have it blocked but I see people on jemsite using theirs at like 1.6mm from the 24th fret. That's ridiculous. I'm just gonna try to get it setup at about 2mm. I just saw a review on a jem and it said about .3-4 relief in the neck is good. Gonna try that I guess.

Did you block you trem on your jem permanent ?
sstony - yes I have this in my JEM
http://floydupgrades.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=191

ethan - No not yet. Ran out of cash sadly .
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE