My cousin and i were jamming today when all the sudden his Vox VT100 combo started making an aweful popping sound, similar to when you unplug your jack from the guitar with the amp still on. It seems to come on after about a minute and happens kinda randomly. I had read that tubes that are on their way out tend to make this sound so I was thinking maybe it was that. He's had it for about a year now and said it never made that sound before. One thing I almost forgot to add in there was that when we were driving with it in the back of my jeep, it fell down, face first when we had to swerve to miss a deer. Sounded like it hit hard, but the surface it hit was padded and the amp didnt start making th popping sound until about 1 1/2 hours into playing. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Check your cables first, obviously, then guitar wiring/connections just to rule things like that out. The tube(s) in the VT seem like difficult things to change, if you can see through the grill check it out and make sure it has a decent color glow/doesn't look out of place. Maybe run through the headphone out; if I'm not mistaken that output doesn't run through the tube, and see if it does the same popping noise (I could be wrong here)
the valve in the valvetronix amps is barely in use, and it runs on such a low wattage it never blows unlike tube amps, it's most likely a blown component and will need a tech to look at it seeing as it's only about a year old so if it was bought new it could still be under warrenty
Update: Apparently, upon further inspection the problem proved to be about 50 cents in loose change which was inserted into the air vents of the amp by a 3 year old child. We removed the change and it worked just fine.
lol @ the change. Good thing it didn't short anything.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by tfrost1988
Update: Apparently, upon further inspection the problem proved to be about 50 cents in loose change which was inserted into the air vents of the amp by a 3 year old child. We removed the change and it worked just fine.

It’s funny, when I reviewed the VT30 one thing I noted about reliability was the likelihood of stuff falling into those poorly-located vents. It’s a stupid place for them, and I’m sure they’re only there so people can see the glowing LED behind the tube when they’re trying amps out in the store.