hello all. i have an unusual way of doing pinch harmonics, and was wondering whether it will affect my playing in the future.

in case it has any relevance, i hold my pick with my thumb, index and middle finger.

instead of using my pick-holding thumb to touch off the string, i use my 3rd finger. i have always done this, i just found it easier from the very start.

so far it hasn't caused any problems speed wise or anything, but the thought just struck me that it may conflict with other techniques i haven't started to use yet.

thanks!
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

so you strum and then you touch the string with your 3rd finger or doyou strum up and use your third finger like you would use the thumb for the harmonic
I've never heard of anyone doing it like that before, but if you can still hit the harmonic and play at tempo I don't see a problem with it.
Quote by yearzero
I've never heard of anyone doing it like that before, but if you can still hit the harmonic and play at tempo I don't see a problem with it.

Agreed
i pick the string, usually with an upstroke, and then immediately after i touch the string with my 3rd finger on my picking hand. sometimes i even pick with my finger already on the "node" you need to touch to produce a pinch harmonic.

glad to hear it! thanks guys!
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

Quote by munkymanmatt
i pick the string, usually with an upstroke, and then immediately after i touch the string with my 3rd finger on my picking hand. sometimes i even pick with my finger already on the "node" you need to touch to produce a pinch harmonic.

glad to hear it! thanks guys!

This isn't wrong....it's also not a "pinch harmonic".

What you're doing is an artificial harmonic.
Quote by chainsawguitar
This isn't wrong....it's also not a "pinch harmonic".

What you're doing is an artificial harmonic.

Only they're actually the same thing, the whole "pinch" thing is just a slight elaboration on the implications of technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I really want to hear this. If you learn how to the traditional way too you could do epic alternate pinch harmonics. Wylde feels a disturbance...

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by OctoberWind
I really want to hear this. If you learn how to the traditional way too you could do epic alternate pinch harmonics. Wylde feels a disturbance...

holy crap man that is an insane idea! ill work on it and get back to you. thanks!
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E