I am a bit confused on the difference between these attenuators. They are all different setups (pedal, in-line, hot plate, etc) and prices, but what does each do exactly? (I know what an attenuator is by the way). I found these at guitarcenter.com

1) A Designs ATTY Volume Attenuator- $100

2) THD Hot Plate Attenuator- $290

3) Audio-Technica AT8202 Adjustable Inline Attenuator- $40

4) Electro-Harmonix Nano Signal Pad Attenuator Guitar Effects Pedal- $45

So other than the brand names obviously, what major differences are there between these that make up the difference in price? Which is best? If I were to get a tube amp, do I need a certain one of these types of attenuators? Any info on these is greatly appreciated.

Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at Jan 9, 2010,
the THD hotplate would be the best in my opinion. you dont need a certain one for a ceratin tube amp. you can use any with whatever amp you want. basically, they are ranked by how well they can keep that cranked sound of the amp at low volumes. most attenuators will lower the volume but it wont sound the same as if the volume was dimed. that takes away from your tone. others mimic the cranked sound at lower volumes, making them more expensive cause they are better
Oh okay I see. I just realized that the In Line attenuator is made for microphones. But what really is the difference between the THD Hotplate and the ATTY Volume Attenuator? Just quality with the same basic setup?
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Quote by gatechballer
Oh okay I see. I just realized that the In Line attenuator is made for microphones. But what really is the difference between the THD Hotplate and the ATTY Volume Attenuator? Just quality with the same basic setup?

ive never tried the atty but im sure it isnt as high quality as the THD Hotplate

plus it comes in different colors

heres a video of a guy using a hotplate. you cant really tell how loud he is playing cause its a video but you can bet that he has the volume cranked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KVRiHr8gc&feature=related
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Jan 9, 2010,
1,3, and 4 are all basically the same thing, which is a volume pot in a box. They only attenuate a line level signal, which is useless unless you happen to have an amp with an effects loop but no master volume.

Power attenuators like the hotplate, Weber MASS, Dr. Z Airbrake, and the like go between the amp and the speaker, which lets you run the amp as hot as you like and then knock the volume down. That's what you want.