I need a distortion pedal to boost my amp, a Marshall JCM-2000 DSL. I play RCHP, some Led Zep, some older metal/rock. I've been looking at Ibanez Ts9 and Big Muff Pi, advice on these and any other suggestions would be great.
Those are OD pedals, not distortion pedals, big difference. But the Ts9 is prolly one of the best boost pedals for adding gain and tightening up your tone, but there expensive, $120.

Big muff, idk, never used one.

Digitech Bad Monkey, pertty decent, works very well as a boost.

Maxon 808, basically a TS9 but without the price tag and build quality.

Those are just a few.
try the BOSS Metal Zone its got a lot of great customization to it
Quote by ethan_hanus
Those are OD pedals, not distortion pedals, big difference. But the Ts9 is prolly one of the best boost pedals for adding gain and tightening up your tone, but there expensive, $120.

Big muff, idk, never used one.

Digitech Bad Monkey, pertty decent, works very well as a boost.

Maxon 808, basically a TS9 but without the price tag and build quality.

Those are just a few.

Afaik the Bigg muff is a distortion pedal.

TS, why isn't the gain on your marshall enough for those genres? The TSL 2000 has loads of gain and it should EASILY be enough for those genres. Are you playing with your amp at home and unable to crank it or something? Please, please don't put a distortion pedal infront of your marshall. If that's what youre gonna do, why not just buy a Marshall MG and crank the gain to 10? High wattage tube amps should be played at high volumes, that's what they're made for, NOT for low volumes. If you want a tighter sound just get a decent overdrive pedal, like the Boss SD-1 for instance, but not a distortion pedal.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
The Big Muff pedals are all distortion pedals afaik.

TS, why isn't the gain on your marshall enough for those genres? The TSL 2000 has loads of gain and it should EASILY be enough for those genres. Are you playing with your amp at home and unable to crank it or something? Please, please don't put a distortion pedal infront of your marshall. If that's what youre gonna do, why not just buy a Marshall MG and crank the gain to 10? High wattage tube amps should be played at high volumes, that's what they're made for, NOT for low volumes.

Not so much that, I just want more versatility
Quote by NEX44
try the BOSS Metal Zone its got a lot of great customization to it

That's a pathetic excuse for a pedal, and it's really going to help TS get a Led Zep/RHCP tone isn't it?

TS, any tube screamer variant should do the job, I'd recommend the Maxon personally, or an attenuator
ohai little sig.
Seymour Duncan makes a nice metal pedal. The Big muff is really Fuzzy (i own one, and I love it) its really good for F'd up tones. My suggestions are: Ibanez TS-9, Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss MT-2, MXR M116, Fulltone OCD, Seymour Duncan SFX-04 Twin Tube Mayhem.
The Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube Classic Preamp Pedal Might get you to those Perfect RHCP/Zep Tones. I've tried one....its like eating a steak that was cooked by god
OD: Ibanez TS9, Maxon OD9, BOSS SD1

Distortion: Boss DS2 (Froosh uses one, an MIJ one), Big Muff Pi, English Muff'n, Blackstar HT-Dual/Dist
As many have already said, any tubescreamer-type would work perfectly.

I would caution you against the Maxon OD808, for though the sound quality is excellent, the construction is quite cheap.

I'd also avoid the Ibanez TS 808 as it is more expensive than the TS9 but still uses the wrong op-amp, so you're really just paying more money for an identical board and 2 different resistors in the output buffer circuit (about $1 worth of parts).
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm gonna suggest the digitech bad monkey, cheap as great for a boost. although the jcm should have plenty of gain for that stuff.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
ibanez tube king!!! best tone by far, but its more OD but if you crank the gain and bass it could potentially be a distortion pedal.
half asians rule!