So about a week or so ago, my guitar fell over and broke the high e. I've lived without the e for awhile. But now its kind of annoying me. I have two extra packs of strings for acoustic guitar, and I was wondering if putting acoustic strings on an electric guitar will work? I mean, they're metal strings so I assume that they're gonna be amplified. But will it change the sound of the guitar?

Thanks.
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
i highly doubt they will work they need to have a steel core and i think alot of them are phosphore bronze which i think are not magnetic
Last edited by britishsligean at Jan 10, 2010,
Why don't you just buy new electric strings?
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Dude, strings are like 5 bucks and britishligean is completely right. can you really not dish out 5 bucks?!
It'll depend on the brand, but the unwound strings are often interchangeable. I know GHS' Boomers can be used for either. Give it a go?
yeah...if they are unwould strings it really doesnt matter b/c everything has steel cores...go for it dude
It's not as much about "will they produce sound" as it's about putting a string on your guitar that doesn't in any way fit with the other ones in terms of gauge. I know why you're considering doing such a thing, I did it a lot when I first started playing but acoustic strings are made to produce a good and unamplified sound so they're usually thicker. Most electric strings start off with 8's up to 11's while many acoustics have a high e string gauge of .012 or higher.

If you broke your e-string "prematurely" it may not be THAT bad of an idea, but if you've been playing this current set of strings regularly for more than a month or so I'd just recommend buying a brand new pack of strings and changing them all. Really, if you're not absolutely broke and serious about playing the guitar there's no good reason to play on a guitar with rusty strings until the last one has snapped. Your guitar deserves more than that...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jan 9, 2010,
Someone i know ruined their rickenbacker electric 12 string by accidently putting on acoustic strings. The acoustic strings put a lot more pressure on the neck of the guitar and warped it pretty badly.
Acoustic strings will **** up your neck, badly. They're much higher gauge than equivalent electric strings (ie electric mediums are .011"-.049", acoustic mediums are somewhere around .013"-.056"). The tension is much higher.

Also it's not because they're metal, but because they're magnetic, that the pickups pickup sound from the strings. Acoustic strings are not magnetic a lot of the time.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
dude, just buy new strings. I always keep 2 spare string packs at home.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.