Page 1 of 2
Hello fellow UG members. I'm learning how to play the fade to black outro solo on my dad's guitar because it kills mine and i just snapped his first string and it made my hand bleed. So I was wondering.... When's the last time you broke a string and did it hurt?
RIP Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan
Months ago.

And no it didnt hurt at all
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
This thread is not closed yet?
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
I broke a string doing that one bend in the "One" solo on the 22nd fret.

I got this hollow feeling.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Well i broke my string like a hour ago so i have to borrow my friends acoustic guitar... i hate acoustic guitars =(

Better than not having a guitar to play though. Last time i got hurt by a string was a few years ago
last time i broke a sting i was learning a song so i was all hunched over in deep concentration hit the bend it smacked me right in the face and made my eyebrow bleed. ouch
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by EuBoat
I'm a bassist and what is this?

LIES! I break my E string all the time.

Although it's cause I play teh br00talz kvlt tr00 metulz
I've broken 5 e strings on the 15 to 17 bend in the intro/main riff to Layla by Eric Clapton (or Derek in the Domiones :p

One of those was the last ones while playing, but the last string I broke was 4 days ago, I went to tune my 12-string, on the higher G string, I accidentally did a quick tune up instead of done, it broke at the nut, and it whipped right across my face.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
I don't think strings can feel (unless they have magic or nerves i don't know about)?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
About a month ago at band practice... No it didn't hurt. Just pissed me off.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Not since I started using heavier guage strings, which was a while ago. And I used to murder the shit out of my guitar playing horrible solos... I've (hopefully) rectified that.
Quote by PuRs3l
Hello fellow UG members. I'm learning how to play the fade to black outro solo on my dad's guitar because it kills mine and i just snapped his first string and it made my hand bleed. So I was wondering.... When's the last time you broke a string and did it hurt?

your doing it wrong then

last time was in december when i broke the A playing Mr. Crowley, i dont know why it broke though, i wasnt even using it. also i never hurt mu\yself when i string broke, they go very nicely
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Today I was changing my strings and when I came to wind the top E string down it snapped and cut my hand. I thought it had healed itself but I was at work tonight (I work behind a bar) and it started bleeding in front of the customers. It was eewy.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Broke a E string on my acoustic at a pub gig before Christmas. Not cool at all but it was at the end of the set so it could have been worse. I was playing Mr Brightside by The Killers at the time, I think.
Always ****ing happens on stage, I seldom break one during practise. Our lead guitarist once had a 5 gig streak where he broke a string on the first song each time.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Day before christmas

Good thing I got 3 packs that day

I've never actually "snapped" a string though, they just uncoil at the bridge or something. So I haven't gotten hurt yet
2 years ago when i was first starting out it nearly took my eyes out i got lucky and it just crazed my nose and left a white mark, it was either the a,d ir g string i can't remember
I broke the high E string on a Telecaster at Best Buy when tuning it to standard (no, I did NOT tune it higher than E, it broke when I was trying to get it to the ideal pitch ). Thankfully though, it didn't hurt.

None of the employees got mad though- they allowed me to stay and try other gear.

Edit: Btw I think it happened back in December (can't remember exactly when though).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jan 9, 2010,
The last time I back one was probably back in September. I change my strings monthly so that the feel of the string is constant.

Edit: Although I put new Rotosound bottom heavy strings on my Strat yesterday and about poked my eye out with the .52 string.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Last edited by eteam_sammy4him at Jan 9, 2010,
I find it strange that loads of people have nearly had their eyes out from strings breaking, it's never happened to me. The string just breaks with no excitement whatsoever.
Broke my E when I was learning Europa by Santana, oh and that opening bend in the second solo of Black Magic Woman, both of them lashed out at my hand and it stung like hell like 5 minutes after it hit me. o_O
"Wipe ur lip, I see some ass on there..."

"A guitar is only good in the hands of a good guitarist...unless it's a REALLY sexy guitar..."
At the moment, I'm terrified of breaking a string on my 8-string because
A.) 8-string string sets are a motherbitch to find
B.) It's a 30" scale, so if a string snaps, I'm getting something involuntarily amputated
ohai little sig.
Quote by goest
LIES! I break my E string all the time.

Although it's cause I play teh br00talz kvlt tr00 metulz
+1. Except I don't play metal.

Actually the last string I broke (between guitar and bass) was my bass's low E.

It probably helps that I use .011 gauges on guitar. They just start to sound dull and get those dents from the frets then I decide it's time to replace them.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Broke a E string on my acoustic at a pub gig before Christmas. Not cool at all but it was at the end of the set so it could have been worse. I was playing Mr Brightside by The Killers at the time, I think.
Always ****ing happens on stage, I seldom break one during practise. Our lead guitarist once had a 5 gig streak where he broke a string on the first song each time.
That reminded me: On the Derek Truck Band's Songlines DVD, Derek breaks his high E twice

By the way, he uses a slide most of the time and never uses a pick
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 9, 2010,
When I first had my guitar and I was changing the strings I accidentally tuned one up when I was taking the strings off. Didn't hit me but I got scared.

Really though the last time I broke a string when I was using some classical guitar at this persons house and I was tuning it up to standard (totally out of tune) and it snapped like a whole step away. I think it was the D string.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
i hate the depressing feeling of waiting to hear the sweet sound of your guitar in a nice long bend, and hearing nothing but that little twang....
Band practise around two months ago. Had to run home and grab another guitar
-

Last time I broke a string was when I adjusted the truss rod on my Schecter.
I detuned it and then turned the rod, tuned it to E standard, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and picked it up and played something (I can't quite remember what it was though...) and the high E broke back in the hole where the string ball goes.. I don't know how it broke. But anyway I put some Elixer's on it and here I am today.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

ahhg the killers yuk dude
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by gamenerd323
ahhg the killers yuk dude

You are in no way UG's Toki Wartooh!!!
First time I snapped one was my first month or so of playing, tuning and the top e snapped, cut my hand pretty bad, still got the scar now, but most recently was in september of last year, day before a gig my band was practising and the D and G snapped on my SG, was not impressed, didn't hurt though.
Not myself, but my younger brother was fucking with my guitar and managed to break my bottom E(The thick on for christ's sake!), it snapped and owned him then he got a swift kick to the nuts for messing with my guitar.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Page 1 of 2